“Good things come in tiny packages”
Review of Meditrina

Meditrina
Ranked #5 of 159 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good things come in tiny packages”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Today my boyfriend and I decided to try Meditrina. It's a very small place, perfect for an intimate dinner. It was rather cozy and the staff was pleasant. We ordered the bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer and it was delicious. A perfect balance of sweet and salty. The only thing wrong was we wanted more! 5 just isn't enough :) my boyfriend had the beef shwarma combo, which came with tabouleh and falafel. It was quite delicious. I had the pomegranate steak with mushrooms and onions in a pomegranate reduction with rice and green beans. I really enjoyed it. I'm not much of a red meat person, but my boyfriend agreed it was really delightful. We also tried the potato curry soup which had a nice flavor. For dessert we had the tiramisu. It was light and fluffy with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. The is no salt and pepper on the tables, which I loved, and there is patio seating outside. I just fell in love with this place. I will definitely be back! It's a must try.

1 Thank Cypriotqueen

Valparaiso, Indiana
“Great little place”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The restaurant is very small and only seats a few, but the food is really good. The only place in Valparaiso that even knows what falafel is, let alone serves it. I'm very partial to the vegetarian combo plate (hummos, falafel, grape leaves, rice), although the spinach and goat cheese pizza is also really good. Serves wine and beer--also has take out if you don't want to wait for one of the small tables. In the summer, they do have some outside seating that is very pleasant. The only thing I would warn people about: do not come with a large party--any more than 4, and you may risk never finding a table.

“A Little Disappointing”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had heard so many good things about Meditrina that we were very excited to give it a try. We ordered the stuffed grape leaves. There was very little seasoning and the rice was over cooked and mushy. The grape leaves used were too thick and not tender at all with stringy veins that you would get from a very mature leaf. We also got an order of the cucumber salad which was very good, light and refreshing. I ordered the lamb kabobs. They also had very little seasoning and were overcooked and charred which made them very tough to chew. The rice also lacked seasoning. My wife ordered the chicken shawarma. It was very salty and dry. The hummus thatcame with herdish was good. Service staff was very attentive. Don't think we will be going back.

Chicago, Illinois
“Best in Northwest Indiana!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We drive back to Laporte from work in Chicago most weekends and love to stop at Meditrina for lunch on the way. My spouse is the chef in our family so he is pretty picky, but has never had a bad meal here. The curried goat is his favorite. The chef comes out and shares her recipes and ideas with us all the time. I just love everything vegetarian that the fabulous chef cooks up: she is creative, friendly and just awesome. I hesitate to review this little gem because it is already so popular. Just a wonderful fine restaurant with the best wait staff, great wine and beer choices, and fabulous food with creative specials. Go!

Dyer, Indiana
“Quick lunch right off the square!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My daughter and I dined here after stopping to pick up a transcript. The restaurant is located just north of the square, so its very convenient to shopping, etc. The food was EXCELLENT!! We ordered the sampler appetizer which consisted of two different types of hummus and another mixture/dip (I can't recall the name of it) and it was served with fresh pita's for dipping... It was very good. I ordered the chicken wrap with rice and veggies and my daughter ordered a steak wrap with potatoes and salad. Both were extremely good and very filling. All of the ingredients were fresh!! We were stuffed but felt good about what we ate!! Very healthy eating.

The blackberry tea is excellent also. Service was very good.

Will definitely go back next time we find ourselves in Valpo!!