“decent stay”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
North Olmsted
“decent stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

had non smoking room that smelled of smoke. Otherwise it was fine. Did not mention to staff so they had no opportunity to correct.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Milton, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We picked this hotel as it is the cheapest in the Valpo area and close to our kids. The rooms are clean and there is a microwave and fridge in the room as there weren't any on our previous stays. Would love it, however, if the pillows could be upgraded! Mattresses are okay but the pillows are small and hard. Have not tried the continental breakfast as it never looked as if there was much there

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was booked through the National Softball Association World Series activities contact and we were told this location had been recently remodeled/updated. We stayed here for 4 nights and were not happy. The rooms were small, dated, bedspreads & chairs were dirty/stained, carpets were old - wouldn't walk on them without shoes. Halls smelled like cigarette smoke. Breakfast was marginal at best - toaster waffles, bad coffee, 1 type of fruit - certainly not a "continental breakfast" by most hotel standards. Hotel staff was rude, creepy & disrespectful - certainly not customer service orientated - several with tattoos, mouth piercings and appeared unclean. The 1st night we stayed there was a drunken bum that slept on the picnic table in the back area of the hotel and to the best of our knowledge no police were called to get him removed. My husband travels for his job and when we checked in and got to the room we realized that we were over paying for this establishment. He went to the manager and asked for a price reduction and the manager's reply was "check out if you don't like it - I don't care". We were going to check out but our whole team was staying there and although none of us really liked this hotel we were kind of stuck since many of the other hotels that were reasonably priced were totally booked and if they were not booked they did not have 10+ rooms available so that we could all move to another hotel. This certainly has left a VERY bad impression and we certainly do not ever plan to stay at any other Super 8 again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nancy S

Travelers are raving about these Valparaiso hotels

Maiden NC
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I looked up reviews on TripAdvisor as I always do, and to my surprise, the Super8 Valparaiso was an option. Super 8 usually does not make my options list..I look for reviews that say a hotel is clean, the staff is friendly ect, this ones reviews were the kind I look for so we took a chance..I am not sorry we did! The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and roomy, there is even an indoor pool, the price was pretty unbeatable..Some reviews talk about the TVs, Breakfast, Ect...the coffee is hot 24 hours a day, the breakfast is continental, so ceral, fruit, juice..which for the price of the room works just fine! TVs are not big on our list of importance we don't travel to watch TV, but ours was nice and the channels were plentiful..we were very pleased with the hotel over our 2 day stay.. those looking for the things we do when traveling won't be sorry picking this hotel!

Room Tip: Tell the Desk what you are looking for, be reasonable with your expectations for the price!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Adirondack, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wasn't expecting much when I booked this room in advance for 3-nights at the Super 8 website. The price with my AARP membership was $ 55 per night whereas the other hotels close to the city were at least twice if not three times more that price. I don't know when this hotel was built but it seemed relatively new, was extremely well maintained and the staff was friendly, welcoming and accommodating. The room was modern, squeaky clean, had a microwave and frig and a window that opened. The bathroom/shower was modern, like new and immaculate. The only thing I found disconcerting was that the commode which was probably only 12" high compared to the usual 18" height and it startled me as I'm sure it would have anyone the first time sitting on it. The mattress support was adequate and I slept well. The rug in the good sized living area, although clean, had not been laid properly and wrinkles were obvious. This was the only fault I noticed, and it was purely aesthetic. The housekeeping staff (always underappreciated and rarely tipped) did a fantastic job. A firm believer in Karma, I left a $3 tip each morning; every little bit helps those who are struggling to make ends meet. Don't expect a hot continental breakfast at these prices. The coffee was adequate, and there were apples/oranges, but I am not a cold cereal/plastic wrapped pastry/waffle breakfast type.
Word of mouth is more important in my opinion than all the Ad Agencies combined. This Super 8 cannot be beat for value and cleanliness and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't be shy about asking the Desk Person if you can examine your room for adequacy before settl...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert R
Manager08982, Manager at Super 8 Valparaiso, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you so much for the time taken to post such a kind and honest review, we all appreciate it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton

Been to Super 8 Valparaiso? Share your experiences!