“Worst service ever!!!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Mundelein, Illinois
“Worst service ever!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is our 3rd stay in this hotel in the last 4 years and probably our last. We come here every year to visit family. The hotel itself is very well kept. However, the lack of respect and service given by the staff, specifically Jody, made even the cleanliness seem bad. We requested a handicapped room due to a family member with medical issues. When we got there, they gave us a room with a king bed instead of 2 queens like requested. They switched us to a standard room knowing we needed the extra space of a handicapped room. 4 1/2 hours later and several phone calls later, the overnight girl took care of us a 1am when no one else was willing to. This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel where there is no general manager. If you have the option, stay anywhere but here. There's a nice Holiday Inn a block away.

• Stayed April 2012
goodhsi_admin1, Management at Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Chandra T,

I’m Tim, Regional Director for the Valparaiso Hampton Inn. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and are grateful for your loyalty thus far. I also thank you for your feedback about the happenings at the hotel. I am extremely sorry for the mishap with the booking of your room. As for your encounter with the staff, it is unfortunate you did not receive the exceptional service a valued guest should be given and I do apologize. I will work with the employees to improve the check in process and the way we interact with our guests so this does not happen in the future. Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback so we can continue to improve as a hotel.

Tim Herzog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lowell
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed over New Year's Eve and the hotel and staff were great. The room was clean and modern and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The pool was our only disappointment (and the only reason we stayed there) but it dirty and smelled unclean. They told us that the maintenance person was just recently let go and they hadn't replaced him yet. But they assured us the pool would be cleaned soon.

Room Tip: Any direction has a decent view closer to the top floor. It's a lovely area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mooresville, Indiana
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I frequently stay in Valparaiso during Valpo's basketball season, Hampton Inn is a great place to stay. On my last trip there was a mix up with the price of my room because I had booked it during the night shift. When I got to the hotel Amanda and Derek confirmed my reservation and corrected the price of my room. They were awesome. My five year old grandson was with me and we enjoyed the pool that afternoon and in the morning. My kids and I really enjoy the suite, when we can get it. Lots of room. As always the breakfast menu is a real bargain and plenty to eat.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bonnie K
Midwest
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Attended the Horizon League basketball tournament and stayed at the Hampton Inn. Room had a kitchenette and a huge desk area with plenty of work room for both of us. Large windows provided good natural light, a rarity among hotels. Non-smoking room was quiet and clean. The hotel was a short drive away from the tournament and we plan to stay here again next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
goodhsi_admin1, Management at Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear valued guest,

I’m Tim, Regional Director for the Valparaiso Hampton Inn. We appreciate your positive feedback. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our fine suites. The hotel has a great location, and is close to not only Valparaiso University but also just a short drive to the Indiana Dunes. Again thank you for nice comments and we look forward to you staying with us next year.

Ohio
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Arrived in the evening to check-in, only to be told that "housekeeping called in sick today" and, therefore, they could not fulfill the reservation for a non-smoking room for 3 nights. The smoking room offered REEKED unbearably, and they had no other rooms to offer. (Hard to imagine that by 6pm a major chain hotel could not have found an alternative way to get one non-smoking room cleaned.)
Front desk offered a free night in the stinky smoking room, but the stench was too unbearable to even consider that. They even offered a freebie to come back the next day for the remaining two nights in town. Went next door to the Holiday Inn Express, instead, and got a lovely, comfortable, odor-free room.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
goodhsi_admin1, Management at Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear GoodTravelers,

I’m Tim Herzog, Regional Director for the Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso. We want you to know that your feedback is valuable and our success as a hotel depends upon it. I’m so sorry to hear that your non-smoking room was unavailable and that we were not able to correct the issue in a timely fashion. We assure you that this is not the norm and we will be investigating the situation to see where we fell short. Again my apologies, I hope that you’ll stay with us on your next visit to Northwest Indiana, so we’ll have an opportunity to make this up to you.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Not a bad hotel. Good location and easy to find. The Hilton Chain is always a top choice of ours. A good value with breakfast included. We had a short stay but did manage to get to the pool at night. For some reason, the lights were turned off in the pool and just emergency lights and parking lot light lit the area. Eventually, someone turned the lights on.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear cooperspeople,

I’m Tim Herzog, Regional Director for the Hampton Inn in Valparaiso, IN. Thank you for leaving positive feedback! We are proud to be a member of the Hilton family and are always striving to keep up with their standards. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate you alerting us to the issue regarding the pool area, our guests’ safety is always a priority and we will investigate the lack of lighting. Thank you for staying with us, we hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.

Atlanta
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I am stay here every other week on business. The people that work there are nice, the rooms are clean and well maintained consistently.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
BrianGilchrist, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Hello jimmerhand,

I’m Jared Salecker General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites in Valparaiso, IN. Thank you for your positive feedback! We are pleased our staff could make your stay more enjoyable. Also, thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our rooms. Our housekeeping staff takes pride in their jobs and I’ll let them know that you appreciated their efforts. When your business travels take you to Northwest Indiana, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Thank you again for your business!
Jared Salecker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!