“Friendly and personable- and hey-the room was great too:)”

Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My boyfriend and I were down in the area for his daughter's colorguard competition. We thought we'd come down a night early to have a nice romantic stay in the Hampton Inn's executive suite. Originally a 200/night room we got for 129 through the Internet!! Awesome deal:) the room was imaculate when we got there. Everything, including the whirlpool was thoroughly cleaned. The decor of the room was very modern and I absolutely loved the shower area. The bed was very comfortable but my boyfriend said that the pillows could be a little bigger. The only thing that went wrong on our stay was that the freezer in tue mini fridge thawed out during the night and spoiled some ice-cream and milk that we had in there. The problem wa immediately resolved in the morning and when we came back to the hotel later on that day- there was a gift bag with a hand written note apologizing for any inconvenience. Not only did we get a goodie bag full of treats but they also compensated with cash the value of any groceries that needed to be replaced. The last day of our stay I had a very pleasant conversation with, who I believe, was the head of housekeeping and she was so nice and personable and always made sure to say hi when she saw us and have a little chat. Even though she was such a busy lady I'm sure. The staff who worked the front desk were also very helpful and pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Terracotta89
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Compared to other Hampton Inns I've stayed in, this was a very pleasant surprise. Really nice space, like the way they designed the common space. I was upgraded to a suite, also nice format and fixtures. Usual professional front staff, better than normal breakfast. Appreciate the always available coffee! Fitness room has pretty new equipment, also a pleasant surprise. Like the pool area too, has tables and chairs (though dont get the point of table umbrellas for indoor poor). WiFi decent. Near a lot of major stores, food areas, etc. Will be my main go-to place for the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is a great place to stay if you are visiting the campus of Valparaiso University. We have stayed here numerous times and have always found the rooms to be clean, comfortable, and very roomy. We prefer it over the other hotels that we have tried in the area around campus. They also gave us the university discount when we asked about it.
The campus is right across the street from the hotel-very convenient.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BWL10
Reviewed September 28, 2010

A bit tucked away and awkward to find, but once I arrived I was delighted with the room, the cleanliness, and the quiet. Very pleasant. Breakfast was better than the usual basic continental types - some hot food choices here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel earlier this month. Rooms were clean - we had a "suite" but that only uplifted us to a wet bar, microwave and fridge. It appears to be reasonably new and fairly clean. Pool area was larger than I expected and breakfast eating area, while very busy, was also one of the better I've seen at a Hampton Inn. Fitness center was small, but clean and fully functional. One note is that the GPS coordinates were about 4 blocks off. If you are approaching from the north, I recommend staying on the highway as long as possible to find the hotel quickly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for a romantic night away from the baby. We booked a King room with a Whirlpool tub. Check-in and check-out were very smooth and fast. The room was spacious enough, on par with other hotels. The shower was big enough for 2 people, and the shower head has a massage setting to it which was nice.

My only complaints were that the pillows were a bit too soft. Hampton says they offer you a firm and a soft pillow, but all of ours were rather soft. My wife had no complaints, but for me one pillow was not enough and 2 was almost too much. Bring your own if you're particular. Also our neighbors were slamming doors at 10:30 at night and smoking in the hallways in the non-smoking section of rooms. It stopped by 11 but if it had continued I would have been calling the front desk. The other complaint was that the knob on our jacuzzi tub didn't work right. Once filled, it said turn the knob to adjust jet settings. The knob was almost impossible to turn, and when I finally was able to turn it the speed of the jets barely moved. Thankfully the jets were already putting out with some good speed.

The pool area was nice, with another jacuzzi tub located there. Free breakfast is offered, changing by the day. Some days you could have French toast, others have eggs and fried potatoes. Fresh fruit, juices, cereal and yogurt are also available free of charge. I thought that was a very nice touch. Didn't have much interaction with staff other than check-in and out, but was greeted by a friendly face both times.

This hotel is nice for a weekend getaway, but unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the jacuzzi, get a regular King room and just use the tub by the pool area. You'll still be pretty happy with your stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick081677
Reviewed September 1, 2009

There were several problems during my staff which in the end were satisfactorily resolved but were made harder than they should have been.

Firstly, the positives. The hotel is clean and well kept. The rooms are comfortable and roomy and, for an American hotel, well appointed (when will American hotels get bar fridges instead of ice machines, like the rest fo the world?).

I didn't eat breakfast there but others who were there did and were complimentary. The continuous free coffee in the lobby was good, but no excuse for limited coffee (and no tea!) in the room.

The big problem was the airconditioning. I flew in from San Francisco having flown in the day before from Australia. I was tired and arrived late, went out to eat and then went to sleep. i would have slept through anything. The room was hot but I managed to sleep anyway. The next night I noticed that the room was like a sauna and nothing I did to the air con solved the problem. I put up with it that night - I should have complained then - and lodged a maintenance request with the front desk at 7.30 am the next monring ( a Friday). When I returned that next evening I was informed that the air con was fixed. It wasn't. I complained and was asked if I knew how to trun the air con on. - patronising! I then insisted that I be moved as they had a full working day to fix it. I was advised that there were no rooms of that standard left and i would need to pay more. To cut a long story short, it was eventualy satisfactorily resolved and I was moved. it should not have been that hard!!!

Some members of the staff (including Erica) were fantastic, others were as much use as a spare tyre on the space shuttle.

I think the real problem was that the staff were not empowered to make the obvious decisions.

All in all, though, I suspect that this was an isolated problem. Although I did bump into one guest who was also doing the room to room shuffle due to air conditioning problems.

• Stayed: June 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!