“Don't bother”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette
Description: Elegance in a casual setting with warm and friendly service. One of Valparaiso premier restaurants
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We dropped in on a Wednesday night and the place was nearly empty. this should have been a clue to the abysymal deterioration of what was once an acceptable restaurant. Garlic mashed potatoes were dry and lacked garlic and tasted like they were at least a couple days old. I also had the duck and it was like eating a wafer of lard. I tried the grouper and it was just swimming in grease and fats. This place is well past it's peak and is an avoiid.

1  Thank affabletraveler

Reviewed January 31, 2011

The food there is delicious. I don't mind spending more money for good tasting food. I would say you pay for what you get!
However the service is something that needs work! My friend treated me to a dinner, it was a full house, but waiting 10 minutes to even get greeted by your waiter is unacceptable. We had to ask the hostess for a waiter! The night continued with the same quality of service. My friend who took me says this is normal. She goes often because she can't resist the beef crepes, but said the service is terrible every time she goes. I would give it 4 stars, but b/c of the service I brought it down to 3!

Reviewed December 4, 2010

The initial atmosphere had loads of promise and that is the best it got. The main course arrived as I was still eating the appetiser - only for it to go back in the kitchen and be kept hot until I had finished the appetiser, then the main course was returned to me. 10 minutes under a heat lamp had done nothing for the food or appearance. The server said it was not his fault it was the kitchen. The staff were pleasant but........... Just not great food which was a pity.

Reviewed October 16, 2010

I enjoyed an average lunch with three other girlfriends. Bon Femme has good quiche. We ordered dessert since I had a $50 gift certificate to help our hostess out. If you don't specify 'regular size' the large size is the default. Who knew?

We told our server we would only like the regular and he said, 'they are already made', indicating we had to accept the large size. We said no thank you, and he stomped off and brought the desserts while reminding us that it was our responsibility to indicate size to the server.

The desserts were good, cheesecake and bread pudding.

Our friend paid and included the $50 gift certificate. It was for a party of four.

The manager came to our table and told me that the gift certificate could not be used since it was only for Entrees and we ordered Lunch. He offered to apply $25 to our lunch. I asked my friend if that would work and she said yes.

So, one would suppose that there would be a $25 balance on the gift certificate, yes?
NO. My $50 became $25. We had to hurry out due to parking time (2 hr), but I went home and e-mailed the manager. No response.

I e-mailed the manager AND the chef the following week and, yes, no response.

So this is a head's-up to anyone planning to eat at Bon Femme.

The food is average for the price, the interior is lovely, the service is surly and condescending and the manager is boorish.