“untrustworthy”

Naples, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“untrustworthy”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were meeting family members at this restaurant as it was in an area half-way between our homes. I called earlier in the day to secure a reservation, and all appeared fine. Once we entered the restaurant and were seated the server informed us that they had "lost" their beer and wine license, however, the paperwork had been sent in to renew. We asked exactly what does that mean and her reply was no beer or wine could be served. Since this was a family celebration we did want to enjoy a glass of wine with our meal. When I asked why this information was not shared when I made the reservations her response was "good question - who did you talk to?" When we said we would leave no offer was made to encourage us return in the future, etc. Basically we drove an hour only to have to leave and seek out another restaurant. We ended up having a fun and good dinner at Pikks Tavern. We will not return to Za Za.

• Visited August 2011

Valparaiso, Indiana
“Authentic Italian fine dining. Not a spaghetti & meatball place at all.”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Chef/co-owner is from Rome. This is true Italian fine dining in a small room with a cozy atmosphere. Italian music and a nicely executed wall mural make it feel like a Roman trattoria. Everything is made from scratch, including some pastas. Pumpkin ravioli is exquisite: delicate, flavorful, a true comfort food. The vegetable lasagna is like none we've ever had. Each delicate layer has its own flavor, yet blends with the whole. Most veggie lasagnas are soggy and boring... not this one. We've been discriminating diners for 35 years, and the food here is truly a delight. The tiramisu is house made and the best we've ever tasted. The cannoli is house made also, and is top notch.

• Visited July 2011
Chicago,Illinois
“This restaurant should be in the heart of Chicago's Taylor Street”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

In my travel I always look for a great place to eat and Trip Advisor helps me search.. I usually don't go to Valparaiso, Indiana. Due to work I was there for a week. Well the first two day's in town I tried the top two recommended restaurants and was disappointed. I would not even waste my time writting something negative. Wanting Italian I was recommended a big box "olive garden" like place. Oh god ! no,no,no.Not a good choice. By now I was ready to take a late trip to Chicago just to eat.But !, I'm so glad I did not, because the third recommendation from Trip Advisor was a hit. Mamma mia ! Zaza was trully a blessing. This is the culinary taste that very good italian restaurants really understand. I was'nt sure what to expect walking into this small place, but from the great Italian hearty bread, Antipasto, Pasta e Fagioli and Veal Saltinbocca. This place was a gem in a town full pretend restaurants. If anyone has ever traveled like me, one can undestand that there's alot of places that are just not good. Zaza is not one of those places. I ate everyday at Zaza thereafter. And the Tiramisu? Heavenly. Chef Severio; I now have a reason to come back to Valparaiso. This time with my wife. I just wish your restaurant was on Taylor street in Chicago.

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank Larrycooks
Northern Indiana
“Food was awesome - service was horrible”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

We decided to try this place tonight (Wednesday) after some shopping. The atmosphere was OK and we could take any seat we wanted since only two other tables were occupied. It was obvious that there was a waitress/hostess and the cook. Period. We saw the dessert tray go by and we both hoped to get the tiramisu but we were full after our meal.
We decided to split the caprese salad which was fresh and delicious. The freshly baked bread was ruined because the edges were burnt and that taste was overpowering. The dipping oil was quite tasty. I ordered the pumpkin stuffed ravioli which came with a rich creme alfredo sauce. It was absolutely fantastic, warm, and quite filling. I also ordered the side of meatballs. Also homemade, delicious, but the sauce was a little too spicy for my palate. My wife ordered the vegetable lasagna and that was also delicious. However, what really disappointed us was the waitress. She assumed this aura of "I don't really want to be here" and "I want you to leave as soon as possible." She was unfriendly, almost totally uncaring about her attitude, her service quality, and NO SMILE! A young couple came in and sat down beside us and then left after ten minutes because no one came to their table to wait on them. Here's a tip - hire one or two of the waites from El Salto next door - they REALLY have service down to a T. We will not go back soon.

1 Thank GolfingGreat
valparaiso
“Our Favorite place”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Dont mis this place, It may not have all the pretense of some of the so called 5 restaurants in valparaiso but it has wiithout a doubt the best food. Try the pumpkin ravioli with alfredo, its memorable. We tried to order it with a different sauce and the owner wouldnt let us.. LOL She was very funny about it and as it turned out right. The chef is from Rome so its as good as it gets..

1 Thank DivaiTail