“Excellent value, many unexpected extras”

Drury Inn Terre Haute
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Excellent value, many unexpected extras”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Those of you who've seen my other reviews know I really strive to be accurate in recommending a hotel. In this case, it's a little difficult, because "it depends".... For instance, if you want modern furnishings, new carpeting, fancy lighting - this is not the place for you. The furniture is older and out of style, as are the lamps, though the bathroom was very modern. The amenities aren't fancy - basic hotel soap, and European-style pump shower gel, shampoo and conditioner in the shower.
If, however, you want terrific value for your dollar, a bathroom where everything works and the towels are deliciously clean, comfortable bed, and really wonderful staff, this is your place.
Let me note that I upgraded us to a "two room suite" for $139 a night, yes a little pricey in this area - but we had family with us, and a pet, so in the end it was less expensive than two separate rooms at the other nearby hotels. The Holiday Inn Express wanted $75 per night for our small dog!!! The Drury asked $10, and the reservation clerk was much more helpful from the start. We could easily have had a basic double for $85, maybe even a little less, and that price was in line with the other hotels nearby.
From the moment I made our reservation (first through the website, then double-checking directly by phone), everyone was beyond pleasant and helpful. The lobby areas, halls were super clean and well maintained. The pool, likewise, and it opens onto a nice sitting area - not fancy, on the parking lot, but still nice. And when was the last time you saw an indoor/outdoor pool?
Everything, and I mean everything, worked. The water was really hot. The sinks (yes, there were two!) and tub drained well. The Wifi was painless, television nice, fridge already cold, microwave working, and our couch had a lovely new fabric that made the whole place feel very homey.
I admit I wasn't expecting much when they said "We offer free drinks and food from 5.30 to 7 every night." Someone mentioned chicken strips and mac and cheese. The kids were thrilled; the adults, not so much. What a shock, then, to find a full spread with something for everyone! Nacho chips and melted cheese, hot dogs with buns, chicken tenders, beautiful baked potatoes rolled in salt and cooked perfectly, a basic but perfectly adequate bowl of salad fixings, with separate celery and carrot sticks - very fresh! - for those of us watching our waists, full selection of dressings, chips and pretzels, free soda and coffee (not the generic stuff for either, a pleasant surprise).
When the desk clerk told us we were entitled to "three free drinks", we assumed he meant beer or cheap wine. Nope. Full bar. Vodka, whiskey, mixed drinks, at no extra charge.
When I mentioned to the woman serving drinks that we had family still in the room, and I didn't want to leave our dog there alone for fear he'd annoy the other guests by barking, she quickly arranged a tray so I could bring my dinner back with me!
Plenty of outlets, though you might have to check the side of the desk for extras instead of looking at the lamps or floorboards. Extra towels and linen already stocked in the bathroom and closet.
The only quibble I might have would be with whoever was in charge of housekeeping on our floor (6th). Not a huge deal, but it's odd when every single dresser drawer - there were 15 all told between the two rooms - is super clean except one. That one had bits of lint and what looked like small trash that could easily have been cleaned with a wet paper towel. Not actually dirty, just overlooked. There was a piece of popcorn under the living room dresser, too. And a couple of long dark hairs in the shower soap dish, which I removed before my wife could see them. The rest of the room was spotless, which made these failings odd. Even the lightbulbs in the lamps were dusted - and you NEVER see that! - and the bedside phone looked like it had actually been wiped down with alcohol or a good cleanser.
Bed linens, white, fit for Anthony Melchiorri. Comfortable pillows. Air conditioners worked well enough that we were cold and had to turn one off. Again, a rarity.
This is not a hotel for people who expect the best of everything - but I happily would trade modern furniture - and yes, even one slightly funky drawer, a piece of stray popcorn, and two hairs in the shower - for the friendliness and extra amenities this place provides. I will definitely be looking for more Drury Inns in my travels!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank krashtest d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We have stayed at the Drury Inn in Terre Haute several times. We see the same friendly staff each time, which makes me believe it's not only a good place to stay, but also a good place to work. The rooms are furnished nicely with comfortable mattresses and many outlets to keep phones,pads, etc charged. There is also a microwave, mini fridge, and coffee maker. The breakfast is hot and plentiful, but we really enjoy dinner and drinks each night that is very good and included. We are happy to have our pet with us.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Family gathering but we all ended up in different hotels. Some chose for price (and regretted it as they also got mice) some for preferred chains, I went with reviews here and being able to walk to the hotel most others chose. We won! I got to relax in a hot tub (vs a gross green water pool). We got full breakfast though we never made the evening happy hour, great room, comfortable beds, friendly staff, and even better then expected

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sullivan, Indiana
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My mother and I spent a night here with my kids, ages 5 & 2, for Spring Break. The rooms were clean and comfortable and my kids loved the indoor pool. The free Quikstart breakfast, 5:30 Kickback, and snacks were awesome! And very much appreciated by our group. We visited the Children's Museum in the day and once we get to the hotel, we didn't have to leave again. It was so nice to have everything right there on-site. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Newburgh
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were driving up to Turkey Run for Father's Day, which is a 3 hr. drive from our home. We decided at the last min. Saturday night to book this room to get most of the driving out of the way so we could spend more of the day on Sunday in the park. That being said, we did not really use the hotel for anything more than basically sleeping and eating breakfast, as we arrived around 9:00 p.m. and left around 8:00 a.m. However, the staff was extremely friendly and polite upon arrival. Love that they offer little 'freebies' like the popcorn and soda. I know earlier in the evening (which we missed), they also offer appetizers. The hallways had a little trash (mostly popcorn that people spilled taking it back to their rooms), but our room seemed clean. We stayed on the sixth floor and didn't hear anything all night even though we were near a major highway. Loved the location. Near lots of restaurants and easy access to major highways. The bed was average, but I did not care for the pillows. Woke up after a couple of hours with a pain in my neck and had to grab the pillow we brought. Free breakfast is always a plus. They offered several items including: scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, waffles, apple juice, orange juice, milk, water, and coffee. Overall, a nice quick stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My Grandparents LOVE this place. My son and I drove them for several day across the county and this is there one MUST stop. The rooms are clean and nice. The staff is very attentive and they have dinner (with drinks) and breakfast free with rooms. The food is not 5 star by any means, its more like hot dogs, pastas, baked potatoes and nachos but its perfect when you are exhausted from a long day on the road. The other lodgers are either on road trips or work construction nearby, they were all polite and courteous. The hotel cannot be accessed by anyone from the outside without a room key which provided additional security. The only downside I felt was the pool. It was indoors which I'm sure is nice during the winter but it was hard for me to judge how clean it was due to the lack of lights and I think the color plaster was tan so it just looked strange to me. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Missouri
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Our experience with this property was really great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the check in process was speedy, the food was great ( both dinner and breakfast), and the room was very clean. There was little activity on our floor, so we got a good night's rest. Overall, another great experience at Drury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family