“It was OK”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Tupelo MS
“It was OK”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Driving from Akron to Tupelo MS and was dead tired after a plane trip from Tupelo to Akron. We pulled off I 70 and found the first hotel we could see and that was Drury. I've stayed in DH's in Jackson MS before and was impressed.
Likes: 1) HD TV and programming
2) Quiet (almost too quiet)
3) Staff was nice and professional
4) Plenty of hot water
5) Breakfast rocked
6) Checkout took 10 seconds

Dislikes:
1) The bedding smelled like a old person's home....didn't stink but didn't smell fresh
2) Not a biggy, but the mattress is a little soft, not great for bad backs
3) One of the elevators was out, so we had to lug everything upstairs, eh, we needed the exercise and driving and flying

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Check in and out was fast and allowed us to be on our way quickly. The room and lobby areas were clean and well maintained. The hot breakfast bar and the evening hot snacks fill you up! The food was good and well stocked. Overall we were quite pleased with the hotel and staff. They had a pool and a workout area but we did not use these facilities.
Note: If you are traveling with a pet you must sign a page of requirements/guidelines: one was that you will not leave your pet for more than 30 minutes unattended in the room. Although my pet was crated and rarely barks I did not want to take the chance of being asked to leave during my visit. I can understand their reasoning but this could poise quite a challenge if you want to eat out at any point in your visit.

Room Tip: Plenty of restaurants a number within walking distance. You also have plenty of shopping in the are...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank OrlandoBoPeep
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pros: Wi-Fi accessibillity - no passwords, etc.
Free soft drinks 24/7
Staff very friendly
Easy access of i-70

Cons: Price $105 with tax for king size bed room a little high
for the area plus was very small - bathroom tiny and didn't have the
usual or updated amenities I'm accustomed to at other Drury Inns.
Bed was uncomfortable and pillwos way too soft.
Had my grandson on this trip and he was excited about the pool - it was
very small, indoors, and not very clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Just stayed two nights in May. Good location, quiet room, bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly and there are plenty of food options nearby. THis was our first stay at a drury Inn, but we'll be back.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank disneygoof1966
Tucson
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a nice stop if you are traveling with pets. They are welcoming and the rooms are comfortable. The snacks in the evening are especially nice after a long day of driving.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank arizonatraveler02
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 6, 2011

This Drury Inn is larger than its smaller cousin, The Pear Tree Inn, across the parking lot; it's a hotel rather than a motel. The desk staff said that they couldn’t honor my coupon because I had a king-suite (the only room left), but they still dropped the price by $19 which made me pretty happy. The room was large, clean, and comfortable.

They provided me with a voucher for a cocktail and then told me that there was a free meal for dinner. (I got the impression this was standard. Everyone in the hotel seemed to be there, but the line moved quickly.) Much of the food was not something you’d want on a diet – hotdogs, nachos, chicken wings – but there was also salad and plenty of non-alcoholic drinks. I was tired from traveling all day, so it was a nice surprise to discover that we wouldn’t have to go out to eat. Breakfast had a nice selection of foods as well.

The Pear Tree Inn across the parking lot does not have dinner, but the rooms are clean, there is a good breakfast, and the room rates are considerably less.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Pickerington, Ohio
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I had never stayed at a Drury Inn before, but booked this room after reading the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. Either I hit this hotel on an off day, or my expectations were too high, but I will never stay here again. Upon arrival, I found the lobby door locked and a sign indicating it was locked 24 hours a day for the safety of hotel guests. I started feeling that I had booked a room in a dangerous location and immediately became worried. There was a small security window that the hotel staff used to verify guest reservations. Once verified, I was admitted to the lobby. After checking in, we drove around the building, as instructed, to access our room. Behind our hotel was another establishment that evidently encouraged gathering and partying outside, late at night. For safety reasons, we hurried inside. As soon as I opened the door, I knew I had made a mistake. The room smelled musty and unclean. It was dark and dingy looking. The linens and pillows had absorbed the musty smell and I started wondering if I would be able to stay here. I turned the air conditioning on and that seemed to make the room bearable. I proceeded to make up the sleeper sofa for my teenage daughter. There was a bag of linens in the closet. Evidently, the housekeeping staff does not wash the extra blankets between guests, because they were stained and crusty. They smelled horrible. The next morning I went down to the lobby for the complimentary breakfast. This was probably the cleanest area of the hotel. The food was average at best with a limited selection of items for anyone looking for healthy options. I know that every hotel can have a few glitches, but there are too many other options for me to give this place or any other Drury Inn another chance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn Terre Haute, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
We appreciate hearing from our guests and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comments have been shared with hotel management to follow up with our housekeeping department. Our front doors are locked from 10:00pm-6:00am for overall guest security. Our number one priority is for guests to enjoy a comfortable and clean stay and your comments will help us work to achieve our goals.