“Convenient”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
STRASBURG
“Convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were visiting friends in terre haute, the hotel was a nice central location from their house, the museums we wanted to go to and the festival at the park ( the park is right behind the hotel and very nice). We arrived at the hotel way before check in, I was so exhausted that I stopped and I asked if they could check us in early so I could sleep. The manager was so nice and personally went to see if our room was clean and let us check in early. Our room was ok my only complaint would be the huge hole in the wall that obviously a previous guest had kicked in. Our room was decently clean there was dust in corners but heck I have that at home. The staff at breakfast was on the ball, the breakfast room was packed with softball girls but these guys kept thing full and clean. The front desk people always said hello when we walked past. This is not a fancy motel, but this is a decent, clean place that is centrally located to a lot of places. Just a side note if you have young kids like 10 and under the $7 admission to the children's museum is worth it especially on a rainy day, and the pizza at the museum is very good.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ohio City, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

this hotel is close to indiana state university and close to down town. they also have big meeting room that they let us use but they charged us for it. room was very clean and fresh, left note for housekeeper to put more towels and coffee and they did. staff is friendly and helpful. i might be back to stay if price is little bit lower.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 648MIKEF
Decatur, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Needed a room for a Saturday night for Rose Hulman parent's weekend & waited too long. Called Friday and a young man who answered said they only had a "business room" with a king bed left. I said I'd take it as we were headed to Rose. He dropped the rate at that to about $70. We hear most Terre Haute hotels discount rooms for Rose Hulman parents. Check in was fast. When we checked in they had flipped us to a room with two doubles which all hotels in this town seem to think customers prefer. We took it not caring.

Looking at the reviews I'd say you get what you pay for. Don't expect great views, a luxurious parking lot or hotel décor, or gourmet breakfast (which came free with the stay). Beds were two doubles not queens which were OK by us. Each was clean and comfortable and came with 3 pillows. The headboards did have the strange greasy handprints and smears other reviews spoke of as did the sides of the dresser but I had my Clorox wipes handy. The TV was older but was adequate as we weren't there to watch TV. Our room had a small table and 2 chairs but there was a reading lamp that seemed to be missing a reading chair underneath it. Room temp. was adjustable & adequate.

The bathroom was older and in need of remodeling and the grout in the shower and floor had seen better days and needed cleaning and refreshing but the floor in there was swept and tidy. There was a hairdryer in there. Plumbing was fine. The room had a iron and ironing board. Walls are thin and we heard folks coming into the hallway a wee bit in the morning but not too bad. Lights are LED and kind of harsh. There is a pool which was closed. Also the breakfast was OK but I'd had the flu and didn't trust any food so only took chances on the juice, yogurt, and banana. There were apples and pears too. I remember hard boiled eggs and English muffins and make your own waffles but truly I didn't look at the rest. Hallways and common areas seemed taken care of and fairly clean and without smoking or other smells. Room smelled fine.

Room Tip: * Our room in the back of the hotel was quiet; hotel is located on main drag so towards front may be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank debbiefrmn
Auburn, IN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Long story short, we called twice to verify that the bathroom had a roll in shower...one person didn't know, and the other said yes. Upon arrival, we checked and yes, it was a roll in shower, but it had no flip down bench or anything to sit on while using the shower. I was told by front desk staff that the room was meant for people in wheelchairs(I have had cereberal palsy since birth and was sitting my wheelchair at the time) ...He followed that comment up by telling me to just shower in my wheelchair ....Um......Do you shower where you sit all day? Not to mention it wouldn't be good to get my chair that wet. The staff member also said that in the year and half he had worked there, there had never been any kind of chair in the shower. The next morning when we got up, the bathroom door was closed and locked..we did not do this...after calling staff to unlock the door, I went in to use the restroom and the door closed and locked with me inside holding the bars....my girlfriend was outside and had to call to get the door unlocked again...They brought us a chair like you would see in a resturant or waiting room to use in the shower...it barely fit and if it werent for the bars in the shower I couldn't have stayed on it. The showerhead itself was too high for me to reach and worked like one I have never seen before..I couldnt do it myself.....last but not least..the bathroom sink was too high for me to use

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Terre Haute hotels

Any Town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Well, the hotel is very, very dark. The doors are very flimsy and the walls are very thin. We could hear the actual conversations and tv shows from the rooms next door. The toilet ran after being flushed...took a lot of jiggling to make it stop. Do not get a room next to the elevator...it sounds like it is running right through your room. The front desk did move us to a room away from the elevator which was appreciated.

The one saving grace was that the beds were very comfortable.

You do get what you pay for...I would spend more next time to get a more modern and bright room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newtown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wow what a disappointment. Dirty, dark, the only positive was that the beds were actually fairly new and comfortable. The wifi worked sporadically and the front desk, while well meaning, were clueless. The free breakfast was so spartan we went down the street to Denny's. We were there for the National Junior Cross Country Championships and my son needed a real breakfast. We were there with several other families and we were the only ones that had a working TV as well. For the same price there are several other hotels down the street that were much nicer where some of the other families from the team stayed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I ended up staying at this hotel because my daughter's XC Team had picked it (would not have been my choice based on other reviews). This hotel is in bad shape! When we pulled up there were empty beer bottles in parking lot. The person working at the front desk was disheveled, had purple hair, and in need of dentist. The elevator was broken. The room was in poor condition. The tube TV had a handful of channels and the picture quality was poor. The bathroom looked like it had not been upgraded in 20 yrs. The fan did not work, the tile around the tub and shower was moldy, the shower head pipe was not secured the wall, and the floor was dirty. The breakfast was not worth it. I was frightened by the biscuits and gravy.

Spend the extra and go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family