“Nice hotel, nice location”

Hilton Garden Inn Terre Haute
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Olathe, Kansas
“Nice hotel, nice location”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Terre Haute on Christmas Day last week. We were driving from Kansas City to Ohio and picked this hotel from reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed! Very clean, very quiet (I think there were only 5 other rooms being occupied!). Had a great breakfast the next morning. The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood near the Indiana State Univ. campus and there are a lot of quaint shops, coffee shops, etc. on the street. Wish they would've been open!
We liked this hotel so much we are staying there again tonight on our way back to KC! Great place for a quiet New Year's Eve celebration!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The lobby of the hotel was beautiful. The staff was in the process of decorating for the Christmas Holiday. Plenty of room to sit and do some work or just relax in the bar area. The restaurant looked nice however I had another engagement and did not eat at the hotel. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable.This was a quick stay for me so I did not spend any time in the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed here last night. I rarely write reviews but had to on this one. Hotel was decent to fair. Good food. However I think it is being ran by college students. Zero customer service and zero respect for Hilton diamond members or any other guests at that matter. Upon check in, the ONLY communication I had was "hi" and "here's your room number". No how are you? No thanks for staying with us. No explanation of hotel services or amenities, etc. good thing for the visitor book in the room because I would have had no clue on breakfast or dining hours or the fact that they even had a resturant in the hotel. The workout facility reeked of cat urine and mildew to the point it was difficult to exercise. And at dinner... Wow. Sat down for 10 mins before I was even approached. Finally I got my food and didn't receive any of the side condiments I requested, ever. I finished my food and sat there for 22 mins before my server ever came back only to bring me my check and take my plate. No refill no thanks no sorry for the delay. Nothing. And the most important part, I was the only one in the resturant with 5 employees working. Upon check out I got a smile. No thanks no have a good day nothing. Zero service or customer appreciation for a fair hotel. Many others around stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011
Erica P, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Terre Haute, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize for the frustration your experienced when the actions of the staff did not meet your expectations.
We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest comfort and satisfaction before everything else. I am sorry of this was not your experience. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are disappointed as you were.
Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as guest and Hilton Honors Member, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns. Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn for one night on business. The hotel was very clean with helpful staff. Very large room for one person, two double beds and more than enough space to walk around each. Very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was very pleased with this hotel. Would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Tennessee
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Our family has stayed in this downtown Terre Haute hotel three times so far and anticipate booking rooms here at least 3-4 times a year for the next few years. The hotel is located just a couple blocks from ISU and is an easy straight shot down Wabash Ave to Rose-Hulman. For younger guests, the hotel is conveniently situated across the street from the children's museum. The on-site parking is free plus there is parking garage 1/2 block away if needed. The hotel also has a small, but nice, indoor pool and jacuzzi next to the fitness room off the lobby.

There is an on-site restaurant plus a very nice hot breakfast buffet and chocolate chip cookies at the front desk in the evening. The room has a dorm-sized fridge and microwave for leftovers. Although we didn't have a chance to try it, there is a pastry/coffee shop (not Starbucks!) cater-corner from the hotel.

During each visit, the hotel has been clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and the rooms are comfortably appointed with pretty decor, a flat-screen TV, and light-blocking drapes. The bathroom is fully enclosed with the sink/mirror in the bathroom and not out in the bedroom. The "sleep number" beds are wonderful. Most importantly, we've seen ZERO evidence of bedbugs in our rooms during our stays (no bugs, no fecal spotting on mattress/ upholstery crevices or drapes, no husks anywhere -- and we look intensely before bringing in our suitcases),

If we have any complaint about Hilton Garden Inn it's about the water. It's SO soft that we feel like we aren't able to fully rinse soap/shampoo off when showering. Plus, it transforms the tub into your own personal "slip and slide" due to the soap residue on the tub floor. There is a small sign in the bathroom stating that bath mats are available if requested, but the hotel really needs to just cut back on the amount of salt they put in their water conditioning system. However, this issue is not reason enough for us to seek lodging elsewhere for our future visits to Terre Haute.

Note: If staying during Terre Haute's downtown festival (late August), there are bands on the streets surrounding the hotel that play until midnight. The noise level may not be a big deal for adults, but could be a problem for guests needing to get infants or small children to sleep. One solution is to ask for a room over-looking over the parking lot as opposed to the Wabash Ave side. The silver lining with staying at the Garden Inn during the festival is that it's fantastic to have a "front row" seat and convenient (reserved) parking!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cwal
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed here the night before our daughter's college visit at nearby Rose Hullman Institute. If you are visiting there, the hotel knocks $10 a night off the rate. We needed a suite because we were travelling with our daughter who used the sleeper sofa in the living area. It also had an efficiency kitchen without a range top. The hotel is just a couple years old and in wonderful condition. I was surprised at how spacious both the living area and separate bedroom were. It was also more economical than renting two adjoining rooms. They have a large restaurant that was completely deserted every time I looked. We only looked at the menu (uninspired) while having a cocktail and chose to drive to a sushi restaurant recommended by the front desk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family