“A vegetarian Virginian loved this charming place.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Doswell, Virginia
“A vegetarian Virginian loved this charming place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I admit it; I am a Trip Advisor checker. So, when I visited Terre Haute for my Mom's birthday, I checked Trip Advisor just for grins. I asked my Mom if she had heard of Harry and Buds. She had not but as I checked out the website, she remembered Jeffrey (owner) from previous restaurants and said that she and my Uncle Fred used to love his Reuben sandwiches. I called and spoke with Jeffrey and although he had not seen my Mom and Uncle in years, he remembered them when I called to make reservations for dinner. This dinner was about my Mom, so I told Jeffrey not to worry about the fact I was vegetarian when we arrived. He had made crab cakes knowing I was from Virginia (he had asked where everyone was from when I made reservations and I immediately wished I had told him I was vegetarian). Although I didn't eat any of the meat (some kind of sirloin beef, lamb chops, crab cakes) my family's response was all I needed to see to know it was delicious. Plate upon plate, all unique and delicious. And, when he found out I was vegetarian when we arrived, he graciously said it was not a big deal to make some of the dishes vegetarian and there were 3 or 4 of the 8 or 9 he served us that I could eat. Best brussels sprouts ever and kale cooked in a way that I left convinced I need to learn to cook kale. Jeffrey was gracious enough to give me some tips on that. Like previous diners, we left with tons of leftovers. Listened to some great music, drank the wine we brought, ate delicious food in a quiet quaint setting where we could hear each other speak. A great night. We were the only 4 there by the way. I would dine there again in a heart beat. This place and the food are a labor of love. You can taste it. Don't go here if you want fast food that you can get anywhere a la Olive Garden. It is unique and you need to go and enjoy the experience.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Julie S

“Memorable and delicious. Unusual in good ways.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

No sign. No menu. No pretense. Formica tables. Walls decorated with school geography maps. $25 each for the meal (cash or check only) featured two kinds of soup, with polenta, spinach and chicken on the side. Followed in short order by, really, French pizza, quiche, scallops, tuna, pork loin, savory crepes, gnocchi, lentils, rice and the best French bread I've had in ages. Dessert was blueberry crumble with shaved chocolate with tea and coffee.

This took quite a while to prep and cook. We were the only party there. The chef suggested we go to a liquor store for a bottle of wine, while he turned the heat on and got started.

Much conversation followed, on music and art. He played a Bernstein CD for us, recently bought at a thrift store.

We barely made a dent in all the food, but leftovers were packed up for us. We won't need to cook for days, and it tasted great cold out of the fridge. And when we got home, we discovered the Berbstein CD among the clamshells.

Anywhere on either coast, this would be an "underground" resturaunt, invitation only. Instead, the only obstacle here is the trek up to Terre Haute.

Make it. If you are open to taking Harry and Buds on its own terms, it will be memorable and delicious. Call ahead. Tip well.

1 Thank Stephen C
Casey, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An Adventure In Eating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked a Sunday lunch reservation at Harry & Bud's based after discovering the restaurant on Tripadvisor and reading the wonderful reviews. We almost had to cancel our reservations because of inclement weather since we live 30 miles away but since we had made reservations and knew from the reviews it was a small restaurant we decided to press on. We're so glad we did! For one thing, the owner, Jeffrey, had begun cooking for us at 10:00. (We discovered this in our conversation with him during our meal.) We were the only people in the restaurant! He said he only books one party of up to 10 people at a time!

After being seated and introducing ourselves, Jeffrey began cooking. He told us to enjoy our time together--that it would take him a little while to get the food ready. After 45 minutes or so, he brought out an enormous amount of food! There was a vegetable quiche, pork roast with a wonderful sauce, roasted garlic, squash, leeks, gnocchi with lentils, shrimp on a spicy risotto, tuna with cauliflower, a French tart and mushroom crepes, orange roughy on split peas, roasted asparagus & brussels sprouts, our choice of black bean or tomato soup, chicken and polenta, a delicious, hearty bread, and then to top it off--a blackberry crumble sprinkled with chocolate! It was an amazing feast! We ate till we couldn't eat anymore and then brought home enough food to last us several meals! All of this for the lunch price of $25/person! He said he charges $35/person for dinner but cooks more dishes!

If you live in the Terre Haute area, or are passing through, be sure to try out this amazing restaurant. It is a dining experience you will never forget!

Southern Illinois
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

What can you say about Harry and Buds that hasn't been said by the other reviews. This place is truly wonderful. I don't see how he charges what he does. When we went the food had to cost more than the price ($25/head for lunch. He indicated dinner was $35). I would go back tomorrow if I didn't have at least 3 meals in the refrigerator that I wasn't able to eat. If you want an experience you must go. Don't plan on being in and out in less than 3 hours. Bring wine if you can. I thoroughly enjoyed the food and especially Jeffrey - the owner, cook, waiter, bus boy, etc.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank weholt
Evansville, Indiana, United States
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Absolutely amazing. I cannot say enough about this place, and so much has already been eloquently expressed on this site. So I'll just say "Me too! We were amazed too! It was an AMAZING meal, and a wonderful experience!!". Some tips...if you're going for dinner, call ahead for reservations. He will open up especially for your party if he can. I don't know about lunch, but dinner is $35.00 per person. Our party of 3 ate heartily, and took home enough food for each of the 3 of us to eat 3 more meals - each. That's 12 full plates of food, folks. We barely had enough room in the fridge to store it all. Bring cash - he doesn't take debit/credit, though he did say he would take a check. Don't be in a hurry, the meal will take at least 2.5 hours. Tip well, he deserves it. He is the host, server, chef, bus boy, and dishwasher - not to mention, he is opening his restaurant just for you. Come hungry. You will remember this experience as one of the best meals of your life.