“One word.... AMAZING!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The term unique applies to Harry and Buds. Let me paint a picture here; the proprietor/chef does not advertise, there is no signage (if the light outside is on, he is there), not even hours posted on the door. The restaurant consists of a small room with about 5-6 formica tables, maps from various locations on the walls, some magazines and the New York Times (don't steal it, by the way). It isn't over done and the size and decor make you feel like you are sitting in someones home kitchen. My sister and I had reservations for dinner on Thursday night. We were the only ones in the restaurant. Chef Jeffery said that he prefers to cook for only one party at dinner time since dinner should be an event. He wasn't lying, it was.

Harry and Bud's is essentially a one man show. Chef Jeffery both cooks and serves. Don't expect to be hovered over by some 18 year old kid asking you if you want more tea every 3 minutes. This sort of dinning experience is about conversation and relaxation. You DON'T go there for a quick meal, and not on a first date, the awkward silences would be terrible. DO go there if you like to make dinner an event, where the food takes center stage, and definitely go there with someone you like to chat with.

Now, on to the food. It is the best food you have probably ever had. I'm not trying to sound pompous, but I have eaten in 7 countries and throughout all 50 states and I can say without reservation that this was probably the best meal I have ever had. IN TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA. Just let that sink in for a minute.....

When we arrived we were greeted, told the soup options were black bean and split pea, then asked what sort of cheese we liked. We choose Gouda. That was the extent of our menu choice. Chef Jeffery got us some drinks (we brought our own wine for dinner) and set about in the kitchen. In about 30-40 minutes he brought out some soup and salad. After we worked on our soup and salad for a little bit the dishes just started rolling out. We had 4 entrees which included a shrimp dish, gnocchi dish, some taquito-like rolls with pork cutlets, and an unbelievable salmon dish with broccoli. There was also fresh bread and a eggplant taupenade. We finished off with a dessert of coffee and brownies made with orange essence water and black walnuts. All of that for 2 people. We rolled out with 6 to-go boxes and ate happily for 3 days.

But how much did it cost you ask? $35 per person. Some people I told thought that was high. For 4 entrees, soup, salad, bread and dessert? I thought that was damn reasonable for a meal of that quality and quantity. (And don't be a cheap tipper, he is cooking an entire, amazing meal just for you!)

So after that long winded story the bottom line is the food is unbeatable, not a place for a quick meal, make reservations, and go with people you enjoy. We loved it and WILL be back soon.

3  Thank Hatshepsut28

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I had trouble finding this -- it is located at 1440 S. 25th St... not on Ohio St. Jeffrey (there is no Harry or Bud) said he used to be on Ohio St... long ago. Seeing online that he closed at 4 PM, I arrived at 3:45 to ask when he'd open the next day (there was no one but the owner there). Jeffrey said he'd fix me something -- no problem. He asked what I'd like. I replied, "Surprise me." He disappeared while I read old issues of "Time" & the "Smithsonian". He reappeared 15-20 minutes later with a navy bean chili, quiche, an incredible chicken dish with 4 breast halves and mushrooms and asparagus and spinach and dumplings, and some pork & green bean crepes... with homemade bread. It was enough for 4 people -- I couldn't make much of a dent in it but savored every bite. He packaged the rest which I heated up later at my hotel. If I ever get back to Terre Haute I will go past to see if the light is on (no signs, no menu, no advertising... you just have to know). The price for what I got was even more remarkable -- I don't see how he makes money. Expect 1950's Formica chrome tables, plastic chrome chairs (some with stuffing coming out), 1950's music... and the most interesting meal you may ever eat.

3  Thank JanythW
Reviewed December 19, 2011

OMG!! This well kept secret of a place is AMAZING!!!! If you are ever in or near the Terre Haute area and want a unique and true culinary dining experience, grab a group of friends and get on over to Harry and Buds!!! And yes, you ARE at the right place when you find the address. That is part of what makes this place so unique! That and the fact that there is NO menu, Jeffrey choses for you! Had to be the most relaxing and enjoyable meal I have had in a restaurant in a LONG time!!! Jeffrey is an amazing chef!!! LOVE, Love love it!!!! I dont want to ruin part of the fun and let you in on all the details, try it for yourself!!!!

4  Thank bullwinkle58
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Well, I was anxious when my husband and I decided to try this... Restaurant? Bistro? Let's try kitchen: this kitchen which has now moved to 1440 South 25th street. Would we be labeled bad tippers or New York Times thieves?

Let me say we wholeheartedly enjoyed the experience. The food was out of this world. Trademark black bean soup for me and squash soup for my husband. The bread was great: after checking out the website, I had called ahead and preordered two loaves. Fresh, sashimi grade tuna - sigh - and crepes bursting with fresh vegetables. And more! Yes, it took a long time. The chef is particular and takes great pleasure in perfect preparation. It's a funny place. We paid $35 for a large amount of high quality cuisine. He had no problems with us taking home what we couldn't eat and it served us an entire lunch the next day. And we are big eaters. The chocolate cheesecake with chocolate ganache helped :) When you go, it will be entirely different. He cooks only what is seasonal or amazing or both: I suspect charges based on the cost of ingredients and how pleasant you are. We read cookbooks, enjoyed the smells and periodic commentary on preparation, reveled ineach other's company while we waited and devoured the perfectly prepared food. A lovely lunch and afternoon.

5  Thank mym2bw
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This place is fantastic! No sign. No menu. No waiters. You eat what he cooks. And its amazing!

4  Thank dwanellington