“Good food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Everyone enjoyed the food. The service was nice and fast. We sat in the front which is the family section.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We didn’t intend to stop in Terre Haute, Indiana, but car trouble forced us off 70 West and into the Holiday Inn for the night on our way from Toronto to Tucson, AZ. We checked Trip Advisor for a good place to eat and we liked the sound of Piloni’s Italian restaurant. We arrived on a cold, snowy night just as the owner, Pedro Piloni (yes, Pedro, born in Mexico to Italian parents) was contemplating closing up for the night. He made us feel very welcome and served us the best Italian meal that we have had in this country. My husband and I had scallops, sautéed vegetables and tortellini. The scallops were done to perfection, the vegetables were tasty and the tortellini was light, filled with melt-in-your-mouth cheese topped off with a perfect marinara, not too sweet and bursting with tomato flavor. As a sweet lover, one of the highlights of the meal for me was the limoncello gelato which was the best I’ve ever had and I’ve eaten gelato all through Italy. Pedro makes his own limoncello – my husband had it as a liqueur and savored every drop. Even though a mishap took us to Terre Haute we intend to make it a regular stop on our yearly trip to Tucson so we can eat at Piloni’s. This Italian taste treat is not to be missed. Forget Fazoli’s and Olive Garden – if you want authentic Italian, go to Piloni’s.

2  Thank Clare G
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Piloni's used to be Carosi's, which was also an Italian restaurant but wasn't nearly as good. Anyway, Piloni's has great food and the prices aren't so bad either.. and they have a lunch menu every day except for Sundays when meals are full price. The atmosphere is casual, but it would also be good for a date or special occasion and the service is wonderful. The woman who brought us the food was very nice and answered all of our questions. I love all of the food, but my favorite is the eggplant parmesan on a bed on homemade spaghetti.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This Italian Restaurant is really good. Took over a North-side Italian restaurant that was only so-so, changed its name, and turned the place into the best Northern Italian Restaurant in Terre Haute and maybe the best this side of Indianapolis. In fact, given the shortage of quality restaurants in Terre Haute, this may be one of the best restaurants there is, period, in this four-College town.
Hey, we know Italian Restaurants. My spouse comes from a New Jersey Italian family who live in a mostly Italian Northern Jersey town. Thanks to her, I have learned what makes really good Italian cuisine and we are constantly on the prowl for the latest and the best-available Italian cooking.
You know you have come to the right place when you frequently hear Italian being spoken back in the kitchen. As for the menu, the red sauce is near perfect. We thought it was better than many of the well-known Italian places over in Indy. The veal is fresh, tender and perfectly made. Chicken was tasty and moist, not over cooked and dried out as it often is. Although not large, the meat balls are hand-made and seasoned to perfection. Haven't had a meatball this hardy in a very long time.. Then there are the restaurant-made Cannolis. They are delicious and loaded with chocolate chips. House wines may depend on the variety ordered. Loved the Pino Noir but only was able to tolerate the Chianti. Wish they had some higher-prices Italian wines on the menu, but this is Terre Haute, you can't have everything. Only found the Caesar salad less thrilling. I would recommend the restaurant work on better garnishes, beginning with a better Caesar dressing. Prices are reasonable and the restaurant appears popular with youth sports teams, couples, just about everyone from what I observed! The restaurant is not huge so when a couple of larger groups are dining, there may be only a hand-full of other tables available. On the other hand, I didn't see anyone turned away, so they seem to be managing the restaurant quite well. Bottom line: This is a very welcome addition to the Terre Haute dining landscape. I hope they stay around for a long time to come. We undoubtedly will be there often.

1  Thank GlobalComm
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We dined at Piloni's with friends tonight for the first time since the restaurant has changed hands. There were four of us, two of the entrees were very good but the other two only so-so at best. All of the sauces tasted homemade but the red sauce was not outstanding. The pasta was fresh and although mine was cooked al dente my husband's was slightly over cooked and mushy. The garlic breadsticks that are provided with each meal were a disappointment. They looked and tasted like grocery store partially baked rolls that were doused with an artificial buttery garlic sauce. One person ordered tiramisu for dessert and proclaimed it tasty.
Piloni's is a huge step above the former Italian restaurant at this site. The decor remains the same. It was a pleasant dining experience but nothing out of the ordinary.