“fantastic 2-hour visit”

Terre Haute Childrens Museum
Ranked #4 of 37 things to do in Terre Haute
Reviewed June 20, 2013

our 3 girls (ages 6, 10 and 12) really enjoyed our 2 hour visit to the Terre Haute Childrens Museum today; they were ready to go after 2 hours (especially the 10 & 12 year olds), but plenty of activities to keep them busy; favorites: water table, indoor treehouse where you can shoot "pollen" balls via air guns 30 feet into large wooden flowers hanging on the wall, TV station; there's even live stuff, which surprised me.... bee colony, hissing cockroaches, poisonous yellow frog, salamander; gift shop prices were typical for a museum... somewhat pricey, although they did have a selection of nice t-shirts on clearance for $8-$10; we did not eat at the little cafeteria; STAFF/VOLUNTEERS WERE EXTREMELY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were there for a birthday party last wekend. It was very fun for the 20 + 4 year olds. We have been a few times before, but I don't think it is something I would want to do over and over again. Kind of a been there, done that kind of place.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My kids absolutely love this place so I want to review this from their point of view. People tell me it doesn't have the size and sheer number of things to do as the Indy Children's Museum, but we aren't that big of a city either. My kids can't tell you the difference. We visit when the weather is unpleasant outside and my kids do their share of running around and visiting several of the things two or three times and they leave happy and smiling, isn't that what it's about? I will continue to visit here several times a year as long as my kids keep asking to come back, which there doesn't appear to be an end in sight for that.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Children's Museum which is geared for younger children (13 and under) has wonderful exhibits and good special programming and traveling exhibits from time to time. There are programs for high school kids as well, but generally I think the museum is more for younger kids. It's small but attractive and very well designed. The cost is much less than other children's museums, but the quality is very high. Part of the reason the cost is less is because it is a small museum, though it could be pricy if you have several children. A very enjoyable place to bring children to be entertained and educated for several hours. There is a very nice gift store and a small restaurant which I think is overpriced.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were traveling from Michigan to Missouri with our almost two year old granddaughter. I thought it would be a good idea to take a side trip so she could stretch her legs and run around some. Traveling down I-70, I saw Terre Haute on the route so decided to give the Children's Museum a try.

Terre Haute is only about 2 miles off I-70 so the perfect distance for a little trip as we certainly didn't want to drive too far out of our way. Boy, was that a wonderful idea!

The Children's Museum was absolutely fantastic! The displays were very kid friendly and the museum was spacious. On the day we were there, there were only a few other people in the building. For our almost two year old, there was a separate, fenced in area for her to play with toys, books, riding toys and a wonderful climbing structure that looked like a honeycomb for bees. She did not have any trouble climbing through the structure without any help. There was also an area for planting a garden, which she enjoyed.

Outside of the under 4 year old area, there were many other displays that interested her. Her favorite was the Bernouli Blaster that held balls in the air seemingly by magic. Even at her young age she had no trouble getting this thing to work all by herself. A favorite of mine was the very large sow that had at least 12 piglets and a cow that could be milked.

I will definitely stop here again if the opportunity presents. I think every car traveling down I-70 with children would benefit from a stop at this museum. There are many displays here that we didn't even get to look at. We stayed for about two hours, had lunch, then continued our road trip. She slept for two hours in the car after this museum trip. Just like I had hoped:)

The entrance fee was $7 per person and under two years was free. She was free this time, but next time I will have to pay $7 for her. Will I do it? Of course, I will. That will be a very well spent $7.

1  Thank Flipper029