“All in all a cool place”
Review of Stables Steakhouse

Stables Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Stables Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 237 Restaurants in Terre Haute
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you enjoy history at all you'll have a pleasant time here. The steak is great, the service good. A bit pricey, but if you want to combine antiquing with a good dinner, this is a great choice--there's an antique mall very close.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a dinner meeting of a large group of people and the individual rooms made this a great place to have the meeting. We had very good service from the staff. We started with drinks and then they came around asking for food orders. We were surprised because we were not asked about appetizers at any point. That turned out to be fine, given the large amount of food that was served. Most of the group was very pleased with their food. I ordered the fresh seafood special, which was a crab stuffed tilapia, and it was good but not the quality I expected from them. One woman got the French Onion soup and salad and was very pleased. We were able to get all of our business concluded without bother other diners or straining to hear. Everyone enjoyed the experience and most thought it was excellent. I would hold the meeting there again, but would stick to what they specialize in – which is steaks.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This restaurant is located in Terre Haute, Indiana and is housed in the renovated stables for the old Champaign Velvet beer Company. The horses were used to pull the old beer wagons much as the Clydesdales horses do for Budweiser. Each dining room is a converted stable with picture on the wall belonging to the horse formerly housed there. It's clean as can be today. Plenty of parking but can be crowded on the weekend. The food is very good with a great menu. The walleye is wonderful when available otherwise I prefer their prime rib(yum, yum). The staff is very able and courteous. On weekends they have a piano player near the reception area and bar who always seems to be too loud for my taste and I always reserve a room as far away from him as is possible. Overall a great dining experience when in the Terre Haute area.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Service was warm and friendly, I happened to drive along looking for quality steak when my GPS picked up Stables. At first glance it looked like a rough torn-down building, but upon entering I was entranced by the soft jazz music. The service was excellent I ordered a T-bone steak with giant prawns along with Crabcakes as appetizers. The crabcakes were soft and mouth watering. The T-bone was a bit tough (I had asked for juicy and medium rare) but the waitress Laura was attentive along with all the other personnel. My glass of water was never allowed to be empty. I was frequently asked how the food was, even though I was dining alone I felt that warmth of Stables in the service they provided. The food was great and the flavor was present in every bite. I have read good and bad reviews, and I really think it has to do with who receives you at this restaurant. I will try to come here more often to see if all service will be the same.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Overpriced and for pretentious snobs. Restaurant in an old staple, hence its name. The only reason one would consider going here is due to the lack of any decent restaurants in town. For good food, you have to drive to Indy.

2  Thank GlobalComm