“Great hotel!”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Indiana
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Candlewood Suites during her ISU orientation. I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel!

Upon check-in, I noticed they were charging me a higher rate than I had been quoted for the ISU orientation package. The desk clerk immediately changed the rate for me with no question. All of the staff were very friendly.

Our room was a 2 bed suite. The room was large and updated. The beds were very comfortable. The room was so quiet that we never heard another guest during our 2 night stay! I was surprised to find a fully stocked kitchen...they even had dish towels, dish soap, and paper towel stocked in the room! There was a large bathroom with a full bathtub.

Be aware they only clean the rooms once a week. There is a place in the hall to dispose of your bagged trashand you can trade in towels at the front desk if needed.

The hotel has a nice gym that is open 24 hours a day by keycard.

Parking was behind the hotel. It appeared to be shared with the children's museum next door, but we never had a problem finding a parking spot. The hotel is within walking distance to ISU.

I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Aaron R, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Terre Haute, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like we will be seeing you for the next 4 years. We take great pride in being a partner with Indiana State whenever we can. Thank you for your business and your time, we hope to see you again in the Fall!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Perry
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

WOW! We made this reservation while driving and using the national booking number. Sight unseen. I WAS NOT PLEASED WHEN WE PULLED UP! Downtown. Multiple stories. Limited parking. We are rural people! BUT we had been driving for ten hours and it was July 4th and the reservation was non-cancellable. We parked on the street right in front of the hotel. The staff was kind and patient with my exasperation. The room was nothing short of phenomenal. The best hotel. You should stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. So glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised, I understand how a long drive can wear you down. Our parking on the 4th of July was limited because asphalt work being done during that time but we taken steps to ensure every guest would be accommodated. Thank you for your business and your time, we hope to see you again soon!
Indiana
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I love everything about this hotel its very clean amd the employees are great i love the fitness room and the snack room it really is a great hotel A guy name zach helped me out so much there he should get employee of the month. Everyone is friendly here and thats great

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Zach went above and beyond to help you. Your review made his day! Thank you for your business and your time, we hope to see you again soon!
Terre Haute
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The hotel staff here is phenomenal. The hotel manager Mr. Richey is a true gentleman and ensured all of our accommoodations were met above and beyond any expectation we had. The facility is immaculate. Location is excellent. Try Chava's for good Mexican, Yogurt in Love for sweets, and Copper Bar for drinks. All of these are within walking distance. Ask for a 6th floor room if they have it; for a flattering view of historic Terre Haute.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank vudoochimp
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. So glad you were able to take advantage of all of the things to do downtown. Thank you for your business and your time, we hope to see you again soon.
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Issue #1: Made a reservation back in March 2014 for 2 double beds since I was bringing my daughter to the area for college orientation. The day before we are to arrived, I received a call from the hotel stating they had overbooked and was offering me the option of going to a different hotel about 3 miles down, two separate rooms (but couldn't guarantee they would be together or even on the same floor) or a king bed. Since the hotel was walking distance from my daughter's college, I opted for the one bedroom (but no apology was offered). Check in was good, however while asking questions, the front desk clerk was very quick to state that "she was new" and didn't know very much.

Issue #2: The Wi-Fi was out and I was told at 5:30 p.m. that the technician was on his way and that he was only an hour away in Indy. Went to bed at 11:30 -- no Wi-Fi. No Wi-Fi to the next morning.

Issue #3: After being gone away from the hotel about 10 hours straight, the parking pass I was given upon check in seemed as if it was non-and-void when it came to parking. Parking the 1st night was ok but the 2nd night, it was merely impossible. There were several cars in the parking lot that didn't have parking passes visible and some type of street music festival going on at the same time. I called the front desk and was told that they don't regulate the parking????? Please tell me why would you offer guests a parking pass if you can't regulate the parking? I was offered the information of a parking garage, in which I would have had to pay for, was about 1 1/2 blocks away. I asked about street parking and was told that on the weekend the 2 hour posted limit isn't forced upon parkers if your car remains on the street. I took the chance and parked on the street and my car wasn't towed or didn't receive a ticket the next morning. Wondered why the staff wasn't parked on the street and the hotel patrons could have possibly utilized the parking spots they were using???

The room was nice and roomy. There is a train nearby that comes and sounds its whistle very early in the morning and I heard it twice. Yes, I received a discount through the school to stay at this hotel, however I wasn't expecting simple things like parking and Wi-Fi to be an issue, and definitely wasn't expecting a train whistle at 5:00 a.m. in the morning.

Would I stay here again, possibly, but that is only if I had no other choices, There are definitely other choices around.

Room Tip: Request one away from the train if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Tracey S
Aaron R, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Terre Haute, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I want to apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay. The parking issue is very limited by being in the downtown area, we do what we can by having our employees park off site and enforcing our towing policy for any non-guests that may park in our lot. The Wifi issue was very frustrating for us as well, unfortunately we were at the mercy of a 3rd party support company. This wireless problem was unforeseen and we have taken the appropriate steps to ensure our property never experiences the issue again. The Orientation for ISU is very important to us and we want to ensure that all of Guest have a great experience. I can assure you that the experience you had is the exception and not the rule. I have shared your experience with the staff and we have implemented action plans to ensure the issues you experienced do not reoccur. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we can improve our service.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Wonderfully restored and revitalized Tribune Building in downtown Terre Haute Indiana, now a lovely hotel -- super location for staying close to Indiana State University. Great atmosphere: 12-ft ceilings, Art Deco chandeliers, along with a beautiful marble-lined iron-and-wood staircase. Rooms were very large and well-appointed. Bed was very comfortable. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Good choice for families with small children, the Terre Haute Children's Museum in next door. Best recommendation, would easily choose to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in our Historic Building, and took advantage of the Children's Museum next door. Many people don't know that part of our 4th floor actually sits on top of the Children's Museum. Thanks again for your time and your business we hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We got a 1-bedroom suite which was equipped with a microwave, full-sized refrigerator, stovetop, plates, glasses, silverware, and cooking pots. The room was attractive and quiet; the living room, kitchenette, and bath were spacious and well-furnished. The bedroom was attractive, but a little cramped. Both it and the bath had large, solid doors for privacy inside the suite. We stayed for nearly a week and throughout that time, we had friendly, helpful, and attentive service. I made reservations over the phone with one gentleman (Zack), and he remembered me when I checked-in a couple days later. He gave me a thorough overview of the hotel's amenities as well as the services provided by the sister hotel across the street (Hilton Garden Inn). The pull-out bed in the living room was not very comfortable, and on the second day there I inquired if a spare mattress could be thrown on top of the opened couch bed. The housekeeper said that she didn't have a spare, but helpfully offered instead to come up to the room and soften the couch springs with additional blankets and sheets. On one evening, one of the lobby staff gave up his parking space (at the end of his shift) to allow me a spot when the lot behind the hotel had filled up. I borrowed a few games from the hotel while I stayed there, and another staffperson helped me select games that would be appropriate for me and my fellow lodgers. We all were very satisfied with our stay at the Candlewood Suites in Terre Haute!

Room Tip: We needed privacy and chose a 1-bedroom suite. Unfortunately, the windows in those rooms face an int...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jill V
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. So glad to hear you were able to take advantage of all of the amenities we have to offer. I do apologize for the sleeper sofa, we are replacing all of sleeper sofas this month with brand new, more comfortable models. Thanks again for your business and your time, we hope to see you again soon.