“DON'T STAY HERE.”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Indianapolis, Indiana
“DON'T STAY HERE.”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Terre Haute for business purposes. They offered a "deal" on their suite if you paid in advance. I did. I regret it. The hotel is filled with ISU overflow students and that's where this place must earn it's dough, from ISU. It's not the students that was the problem. I was paying for hotel services and received dormitory services. They did not clean the room on a daily basis, only weekly (or that's what I imagine since I certainly never saw a cleaning person in my room). If you wished for clean linen you had to get it yourself. The linen itself was not even teri cloth, but a poor quality hospital-like smallish cloth. There was not even a complimentary apple or doughnut to be had in the morning, let alone a continental breakfast these prices demanded in the least. Again I was paying hotel service prices and felt I had been put in a youth hostelry. It gets one star from me because it was within walking distance of my work. There' a Hilton Garden Inn across the street. Check that out before attempting anything here. As a dorm it's ok, as a hotel, it sucks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank C u
Tonya M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Terre Haute, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I am very sorry that the brand standards and policies of Candlewood Suites were not clearly communicated to you. We are an extended stay hotel, and as such, rooms are scheduled for a weekly cleaning. We offer full kitchens, free laundry, and reduced prices to ensure the satisfaction of our guests and I sincerely regret the lack of communication that resulted in your displeasure. I would love the opportunity to apologize personally and hope that you will contact me so that we can resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites and was very pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious. The location was excellent - right downtown, within walking distance to restaurants and bars. Parking is free right behind the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank badgertraveler28
Commerce, Georgia
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This is a great hotel. With a child in college in Terre Haute and living 9 hours away, we are there several times a year. The location is great--in the middle of downtown with a neat little coffee shop nearby and a block away from the downtown farmer's market in the summer. I love the old building--and in the back lobby they have a desk with articles about the hotel from years gone by when it was a newspaper building. The employees are very pleasant and the rooms are comfortable. This is always our first choice when in Terre Haute!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Owasso, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 18, 2011

If there is a happening place in Terre Haute, then this hotel is right in the middle of it. Square in the middle of downtown makes for a much better stay than the hotels that are out on the highway. Authentic non-chain cuisine restaurants, coffee shops, and bars all within a short walking distance. Free washer and dryer available. The old renovated bank building made the hotel much more fun and unique. Staff was excellent, especially the front dest folks. If Terre Haute is your destination, this place is the best available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JosephDaGreat
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I had to bring my daughter to orientation at Indiana State so we stayed here at Candlewood so that we could take advantage of the University's discounted rates.

I arrived at 2 PM and I was EXTREMELY grateful there was a room ready as I had driven 12 hours from MD. The staff was friendly. I think the clerk forgot there was a CVS and a Dollar General 3 blocks behind the hotel before she directed me 6 blocks down Wabash Street to the Walgreens.

That aside, the room was very clean, the beds were extremely comfortable and the whole room felt like a home away from home. It was extremely convenient to the school. There was, what I thought was adequate parking behind the building.
The room was equipped with coffee maker, 2-burner stove-top, full-sized refrigerator, microwave, DVD player, and flat screen TV. They also will provide you with a toaster oven if you ask at the desk. They also have movies you can watch. It's not a vast library of movies, but they're FREE and you don't have to leave the hotel. (There's no Redbox at the CVS but there's one at that Walgreens). The towels were extra large and plush - just a little rough. I wish they had used more fabric softener.

Overall, I really like the hotel. There's a pizza place next door, a couple of pubs/dive bars, and a bowling alley all within a few block radius of the hotel. They're not flashy places, but they're there.

TIP: If you are doing work, call ahead and make sure the printer is working. Otherwise, you may have to go across the street to the Hilton Garden Inn. I think Terre Haute is a black hole for printers.

The pros greatly outweigh the few cons with this hotel. I defintely recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GetawayGirl73
Reviewed February 16, 2011

You wouldn't generally put these two together but the title couldn't be more accurate. This property was an old newspaper printing press. They flawlessly renovated the establishment into the hotel it is today. The architecture it intricate and classical. The rooms are large and unique.

The staff was incredibly attentive to my families needs. I used the workout room which was very large and housed every piece of equipment I needed.

The location is right in the heart of downtown terre haute, close to shops and dining!

I can't wait to come back to Terre Haute and stay at the Candlewood suites!

• Stayed January 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This hotel is new however it has an old charm since it is located in a renovated bank building. As a result it still has the old building charm but with very modern amenities. I stayed there for a night in Decemeber and i was given an upgrade to a suite. The room had a full kitchen with a dining table that could seat 8 people, a separate very large living room and a nice size bedroom. It is right in the middle of downtown, so as others have stated, everything is withing walking distance. I higly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business