“better than expected--got really spoiled by the breakfast”

Ramada Limited Tell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tell City
Chattanooga, TN
“better than expected--got really spoiled by the breakfast”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We got a "cheap hotel" for our trip to Holiday World (great coasters!) and the Tell City Ramada was a nice surprise. The rooms were about average size and nicely done up for a hotel of this price. Service was above average and location was good. There's a McDonald's and Pizza Hut right down the (steep) hill and Holiday World is about 10-15 minutes away through the corn fields. What really surprised us was the included breakfast was decently robust and they had a waffle maker so you could have fresh waffles! Which, of course we had every morning, and so did everyone else staying there because sometimes there was a bit of a wait. But there are plenty of tables and everyone was pretty patient and nice and the desk staff kept the area cleaned up. We've been spoiled that other higher-priced hotels don't offer free breakfasts, especially not as nice as this one! We were really satisfied with our stay overall. Being on the ground floor, we just passed our bags in and out the window to our car parked right outside! It's not anything to shout about, but we were nicely surprised for what we paid.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank pantsonfire99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
hawesville, ky
Reviewed January 31, 2009

i am a resident of Kentucky. we had a terrible ice storm which left county's without power... we had to find a hotel to stay in and on Tuesday Jan. 27th 2009 we checked in at the Ramada at a rate of $64.00... by the time the rest of my family had to come n stay on Thursday Jan. 29th 2009, the hotel had raised their prices to $89.00... i just wonder how under a state of emergency a hotel can do that..... the stay there and the staff were great they really worked hard to make a very unexpected stay very pleasant....

Stayed January 2009

Travelers are raving about these Tell City hotels

Indiana
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Ok this hotel is in a nice location and is clean. Which are good things. But I think if you advertise something you should make sure its good. Their breakfast was the nastiest sight I have ever encountered. Small small place. Messy. Stale food. After first day we went to McDonalds down the hill.

The workers are horrible. Rude, and act like you are bothering them when you ask a question or need soemthing. More interested in flirting with other guests than doing their jobs.

I've seen worse and I've seen better. Typical hotel I guess.

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — rude rude staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank sunbunny08
Nashville, TN
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My family and I were going to Holiday world and this is one of the Hotels that was reccommend on their website. I chose to go on the last full Week Holiday World is open to avoid crowds as the Indiana school system starts back usually the Monday or Tuesday of the Parks Last Full week of Operation before they go to just weekends for the rest of season. If you can wait come on Tuesday. We walked onto most every ride with no wait and I rode the Legend twice without having to get off the rollercoaster. When we finally got to Tell City we had gotten kind of Lost. I called the Hotel and they easily directed us to them within minutes. As in another review about this hotel the Hill to the Hotel is a might steep. When we arrived we were told we where on the Second Floor, Ok no big deal, loaded up the hotel cart and came inside only to find out there was no elevator. I decided to see how far the room was. It was about halfway down the hall on the second floor. I went back to the front desk to see if they could move us to a similar room on the first floor, being that the Holiday World busy season was over they were able to do this easily. I would also reccomend if making a reservation that you call the hotel, not book it online, and request a first floor room. The room was cool and comfortable and had the small fridge and the microwave which is great for a family on a vacation budget so you don't have to eat out every night and can bring food along. The beds were ok, although after a day in the park my wife and I need a mattress with a little better support for our backs. My daughter slept Great. The hotel has a small pool that my daughter and I swam in. Nice enough, but only goes up to 5ft deep. The breakfast set up was ok. They had doughnuts and cereal, biscuts and gravey. You could make your own huge waffle which was pretty easy and they had Fresh fruit. Also Milk and OJ and Coffee. There is also a save-a-lot grocery store at the bottom of the hill that you can pick up other grocery Items. There are a couple of local restaraunts close by if you want to eat other than fast food or Pizza. We ate at the Patio Steakhouse which is about 5 minutes away. They have a full menu and a buffet with a small hot bar and salad bar. We ate for about 25.00 for the three of us. There is a small movie theater close by that has first run movies. (Batman, The Dark Knight, One of 4 movies playing at the time.) Its in a small shopping center almost across the street from where the hotel is located. I asked the front desk attendent and she said its deceptive looking from the front, but its big enough inside. I guess I am just used to the theaters that have the stadium seating, but good to have close by. Holiday world is about 20-25 minutes away which wasn't bad. The front desk staff was always helpful and we had no major problems. I would probably visit again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank scooterbackstage
Chicago
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Ok where to start? First off its in a nice location. Its up above Tell City near several fast food restaurants. The hill going up to it is a mite steep, but its got a fab view.
They have a onsite "pub" but I didn't go in there. Lots of people in there, lots of noise so people seemed to be having a good time.
The room was fairly clean, there were some minor issues but no biggie. They have a free breakfast, we only went down there once, and it was so disgusting - food presentation and cleanliness -- we couldn't bring ourselves to eat much and ended up going to McDonalds down the road.
The staff seemed to be doing everything but their job. No greeting when you came in, or left. When I asked if there were any good restaurants that wasn't "fast food" she rolled her eyes and said "just drive down the road, you'll find something." Another one was doing her nails when the wife stopped to ask for an extra towel and said "we don't give out extra towels." That was a shock to me, any hotel I have ever stayed at would give you an extra towel or washcloth. Not one of them were friendly except the check out girl.
All in all I would stay here again.

• Liked — right in the heart of Tell City
  • Disliked — the girls at the desk and their unproffesionalism
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank WearyTravelers3
tennessee
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at the Ramada Limited in Tell City for a few days in July. At first glance the hotel is very pretty, the breakfast area is on the small side, but seems ok. My first impression of the staff wasn't very good, the girl was talking on the phone, and it was obvious it was a personal call, she saw us waiting and said, "just a minute" -- we waited for 15 more minutes before she was through. Our room seemed ok at first but I found a pair of underwear under the vanity in the corner and the refridgerator smelled like fish. It was so overwhelming I hesitated to put our drinks in it. There was hair in the tub. When my husband called down to the desk the girl just laughed and said "Oh we have fisherman stay here alot, they probably put their fish in there" ???? Ok but what are we going to do about the smell? She said there was nothing she could do. Also was not concerned about the undies, I finally picked them up with a paper towel and threw them in the trash...yuck!
Next morning when I went down I asked a new clerk about the refridgerator (maybe could we get another one?) and she said the manager would be in soon and to talk to her. So we had breakfast while we waited. It was ok...the waffles were very good, other items were cereal, etc. The donuts were several days old, they were hard and had crumbs from other doughnuts stuck to them. Milk was funny tasting, someone else complained and the clerk kind of huffed around and then brought out some more. She said it must have gotten a "little too warm" yesterday. Spoiled my appetite.
Manager never came in, never saw him/her the whole time we stayed (3 days), finally gave up on the fridge and put ice in a cooler in our room for our drinks. When we checked out they asked how everything was, I mentioned the fridge again...different clerk called the manager and she was very upset and rude and said dont be looking for discounts --- that we should have done something about it our first night. We weren't looking for discounts!! I wasnt even going to mention it until they asked! And I tried to do something about it...by calling front desk and the next day as well.
I told the clerk this and she said "well the manager gets upset easily" and she took 10.00 off total cost of our room...which I thought was nice but the management wasn't professional at all. We probably won't stay here again, there is a new looking Holiday Inn across the road that I would prefer to stay at next year.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank jl06302
RamadatcGM, General Manager at Ramada Limited Tell City, responded to this review, April 13, 2008
I am very sorry that you felt your experience at our hotel was unsatisfactory to you. Under these circumstances our staff is trained to accommodate the guests by moving them to another room or even upgrading. I have never been accused of being rude or unprofessional. My schedule consists of fifty to fifty-five hours a week. I am sorry I did not have the opportunity to handle this person to person. I assure you the situation would have been handled correctly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tell City
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in Ferdinand
Red Roof Inn & Suites Ferdinand

Been to Ramada Limited Tell City? Share your experiences!