“Still a good choice”

Bistro 933
Ranked #9 of 364 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bistro 933 specializes in regional American cuisine from inside the Hilton Garden Inn in South Bend, Indiana. We offer a full menu including appetizers, specialty drinks, and desserts, as well as specials created daily by our team of chefs. Our modern dining room is the perfect setting for a business dinner with colleagues, a small celebration with friends, a family meal or a romantic dinner for two. You can also visit our lounge which features a full bar and five HD TV's for an after work drink or to catch the latest news and sports.
Reviewed April 12, 2019

Haven't been in awhile, the layout has changed a little. I think it's better, more separated from the lobby now. Food was fantastic as usual. I tried a sangria from the bar this time, best sangria I've had in ages, highly recommend! Love the variety of choices on the menu and it changes often, hard to choose. Server was attentive, answered questions about menu well. Good choice, we'll be back again! (And love that it's NOT grape road, never a wait!)

Date of visit: March 2019
HiltonGardenInnSB, Manager at Bistro 933, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Welcome Back!
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled to hear you had a great experience. New menu options are coming soon, so hurry back! Thank you for choosing to dine with Bistro 933. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2019

The layout of this restaurant is confusing as it blends into the lobby of the hotel.

We were not greeted upon arrival. Then told we could seat ourselves. We collected our own menus and headed to a booth area at the far side of the bar, as we passed by, the bartender calls out asking in front of other patrons if everyone was 21. My adult son is not. He answers, "I am not going to sit at the bar, we are going to sit over there in a booth". Then we are told this whole section is the bar and he cannot sit there. No apologies were given. And I did not appreciate the lack of privacy and manners. Still no assistance from staff finding seats. ANYONE can sit in a booth or at a table, they just can't sit at the bar. Someone needs to educate the bartender. None of us were ordering alcohol anyway.

Looking back, we should have left at this point. But, sadly, we stayed, made our way to the other brightly lit area and sat down. Neither of us like bright lights. The bench my spouse sat on was uncomfortable and one cannot lean back because there really isn't a back. There is no way to tell where the restaurant begins and ends. And the only nicer places to sit were behind the bar area.

The server had a good demeanor which is why we stayed.

Food is quite pricey for what it is and portions you receive. Lastly, BLACK FOREST cake (our original review called the dessert the wrong name and this was pointed out) is a very specific dessert. If someone is going to do their version or "vision", this should be very clear on the menu. And whether one is doing the German chocolate cake or the Swedish version of this torte, there is cake and most importantly Kirsch. You should taste Kirsch easily, the cherries should be marinated in it. What this restaurant has is NOT Black Forest Cake, it's more a vanilla mousse with a few cherries and cream. Since it was promoted online as a pastry chef creation, I expected something fabulous and worth the price. As a matter of fact, I expected that with all the items. My son enjoyed his French onion soup, but it was a tiny bowl and the Brussels sprouts were tasty, but oily and small portioned for a small plate. More appropriate to label this a side dish. This was not what I expect from a place saying there are chefs and charging the prices of a high-end restaurant. So, after checking around online for what was supposed to be a special meal and my spouse's birthday cake, instead we got an uncomfortable experience in more than one way and huge disappointment.

At the very least Bistro - read the review as intended. Advertise your "creations" properly. And when someone arrives do not yell at them across a bar.

Reviewed March 19, 2019

I have been there twice (which means I liked it since I came back).

The menu offers many choices that range from classics (burgers, etc.) to larger plates (fish, steaks, etc.). I have tried both of these. The food was good, although I would have appreciated some more vegetables coming on the larger plates.

The staff is very attentive and friendly, although the service is somehow a bit slow (this was verified for both days I came there).

The atmosphere is also great. The restaurant room is large, bright, etc.

I will definitely come back there the next time I will be in South Bend.

Date of visit: March 2019
HiltonGardenInnSB, Manager at Bistro 933, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2019

Benjamin,

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food! But, we are disappointed that you received slow service. We will address this issue so it doesn't happen in the future. Thank you for choosing to dine with Bistro 933. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2019

I always enjoy going to the Bistro when I visit South Bend. The wedge salad and french onion soup are my favorites on the menu.

Date of visit: March 2019
HiltonGardenInnSB, Manager at Bistro 933, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2019

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled to hear you had a great experience. Thank you for choosing to dine with Bistro 933. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2019 via mobile

Wide variety of food. Our server, JoJo was outstanding! Very attentative, friendly and great with the kids. He went above and beyond! Go visit JoJo!

Date of visit: February 2019
HiltonGardenInnSB, Manager at Bistro 933, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2019

Brynne,
Thanks for the great review. We are thrilled to hear that Jojo provided you excellent service. Thank you for choosing to dine with Bistro 933. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Bistro 933? Share your experiences!