“Luxury in the heart of Notre Dame”
Review of Morris Inn

Morris Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed at the Morris Inn overnight for a 2-day work conference. We were able to check in early and the room was amazing! Clean and spacious, upscale amenities. Really enjoyed the extra large shower and the extra soft bedding. Would have enjoyed having a microwave available, at least in lobby, if not in room. Enjoyed "borrowing" the luxury bath robe during my stay and the large flat-screen TV, but would have enjoyed having a movie channel or two, rather than just cable. Staff was wonderfully helpful and attentive. Enjoyed my stay, immensely. Would love to make a return trip soon!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Staying at the new and improved Morris Inn is like staying in a members only club. But, in this case the only membership you need is a hotel reservation.

Everything is exactly what it should be for an on campus experience. It has an Ivy League feel throughout the property while still having a relaxed and casual atmosphere.

The front desk service is top notch, however housekeeping and room service requires some additional tweeking. The Inn was only open for a few weeks so I figured it was to be expected as they continue to work out the bugs during the first 30 days.

Here's a few examples of what I mean...

Room service-
Breakfast is available starting at 6am. I called at 6:15am to have a bowl of oatmeal and orange juice delivered. I couldn't find a number in the directory for room service, so I dialed zero with the assumption I would be connected. The operator answered and told me she would take my order!?!!? Ok, so I gave her my order but I had a few questions. She wasn't sure, so she said she would find out and call me back. No phone call and no delivery by 7:30am. So, I decided to head down to Sorin's for Breakfast instead as I had a meeting starting at 8am. Unfortunately, my Sorin's experience wasn't any better. No host at the entrance to greet me, so I took an open table. At that time only three tables had patrons. It appeared they were understaffed as the hostess and waitress were running back and forth from the kitchen, but during that time no one appeared to be interested that I was there. It took 10 mins for the hostess to greet me and have the waitress take my order. Luckily it was only breakfast and I received my order and paid in less than 15 minutes.

Housekeeping-
The staff made up the room while I was out. But, it didn't appear that way when I first walked into the room. My bed wasn't remade, they simply pulled back the covers and rearranged the pillows. I was expecting the bed to be remade like it was when I first walked into the room the day I checked-in. The duvet was smooth, nicely folded and pillows fluffed, nicely arranged and stacked. The TV remote would be back in its holder, but it was where I last left it on the side chair. Other hotels I've stayed at in the past put everything back into its usual place during the process of cleaning the room. Again, these are just observations and not something I would interpret as bad service. But, it is a higher end hotel where you expect to pay a premium for service.

The room furnishing and styling was warm and welcoming. The bed was extremely comfortable and the large 42" LCD TV was unexpected. However, the bathroom was my favorite feature of the new rooms. Large five foot tiled shower and adult height vanity. Nice!

One night I ate dinner at Sorin's restaurant. My experience with dinner was much better than breakfast. I had the pumpkin Risotto, with a side salad that included Maytag blue cheese crumbles and finished it off with an apple turnover for desert. The food and service was great.

Overall a great hotel and would recommend staying here anytime you visit Notre Dame. The on campus location makes it perfect spot for any campus visit.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is in the central part of the Notre Dame campus, steps away from the Visitors Center, Art Museum, Conference Center, Football stadium, and just about everything else "Irish." The Inn has recently undergone total renovation. The staff was outstanding in all respects, the rooms fresh and clean, the food in the restaurants excellent, and the location was ideal. The hotel even emailed me a few days in advance to ask if I had any special needs/desires, and was able to get me the flat pillows in the room that I really like when travelling. Checkout was a breeze... Now if they only had a free shuttle to/from the airport, they'd be pretty close to perfect!

Room Tip: I like the western view from our room over the patio behind the hotel. Very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hello Artairman! Thank you for taking the time to review our lovely hotel! We do have the perfect location and I’m glad to hear you found it perfect for your needs while visiting campus. We are especially proud of our staff as that is truly what makes us Notre Dame unique! Your request for a shuttle is understandable. Currently we have several cab services that we work with to get you to and from the airport as speedy as possible. So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and looking forward to seeing you back at the Morris Inn soon! Safe Travels! Kelly

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We recently stayed in the Morris Inn on the campus of Notre Dame and we were absolutely blown away by the renovations. I caught my breath in delight when we walked into the main lobby. It is light and airy and tasteful and elegant with shades of blue and gold set off against floors and walls of ivory. Our room and bathroom were spacious and elegant with our own personal Ipad--a feature I've never encountered in any other hotel. However, the best part of the hotel (besides its location in the middle of Notre Dame's beautiful campus!) was the outdoor patio. We spent a lovely, perfect evening by the fire pit sitting on the comfortable, upholstered chairs and drinking wine with friends. When we checked in, the bell hop told us that the hotel had recently received a "Four Star Rating" and, although we're not sure which organization bestowed this honor, my husband and I both agreed that the hotel was worth every star and more.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hi Daesteh! We are so happy that you found the new renovation stunning! We are all very excited about the changes here at the Morris Inn. The Fireside Terrace was dedicated last month as The Wind Family Fireside Terrace and will continue to be a favorite space here for years to come. We also received the Four Diamond award from AAA last month, which I believe is what you were referring to. Please return soon as i think you'll find that the Inn looks beautiful for the Christmas season as well! Safe Travels!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Morris inn for several days mid week in late September. It is freshly renovated. iPads in every room. Spacious bathrooms and comfy beds. The location made it so easy to walk around campus and visit with our two kids attending here. The restaurants were enjoyable and room service breakfast on time. We definitely plan a return visit

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 909LAH
JoeKurth, General Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Liz H.

Thank you so much for staying with us during your visit to Notre Dame. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time in the new rooms and restaurants. We could not agree more on how wonderful it is to have the newly re-imagined Morris Inn located at the heart of campus and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Joe Kurth

Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you like dark dingy hotels with tiny bathrooms, you should definitely stay away from this place. It's warm, welcoming and beautifully appointed.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed with comfortable beds, free wifi, and even Kuerig coffee makers! My room had a snack basket that made it hard to stay on my diet - particularly because the prices were all reasonable (e.g. $1 for a big bag of m&m's - my personal weakness). The bathrooms are spacious with large walk-in showers and nice bath amenities. I loved sitting in the lobby people watching. It was nice to see such a large cross-section of the University taking advantage of the place.
When I was there, they had the new football helmet on display in the lobby that I photographed and emailed to my son. They also great historic photographs in the guest rooms.
In the past I've stayed at other hotels in the area. They do not hold a candle to the new Morris Inn.
As my teenage son would say, "they crushed it"

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
JoeKurth, General Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Mainematt:

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Notre Dame. We are very happy you enjoyed the comfortable new design and Notre Dame spirit in the hotel and that you were able to send a photo home to your son as well!

We look forward to seeing you again soon in South Bend -

Joe Kurth - General Manager

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Well, I don't have any ax to grind, but I don't think you need to be grinding any axe to dislike the renovation of the Morris Inn. I had to agree with most of the negative review, unfortunately. (I had also scratched my head when I saw that little ND's are no longer in the pattern of the carpeting!) I really wanted to love the renovation. But it really isn't the Morris Inn anymore. Maybe I'll learn to love it for what it is -- a beautiful but totally different hotel. It would have been nicer if they could have spruced it up without changing it quite so much.

I don't see how anyone can call the elimination of a free breakfast a higher standard of hospitality. Forced valet parking isn't much of an upgrade, either. And walking from an adjacent lot would be a nightmare of circling and circling on a busy weekend. It's a long haul on a quiet weekend, too. Access to campus used to be truly seamless and wonderful when you could simply park your car at the Morris Inn (if you were a hotel guest) and stroll in.

One thing that a lot of people are going to like is the new convention space for events -- it's really luxurious and very convenient. And since it was all new, they didn't have to worry about keeping the spirit of a former space!

I said to one of the employees (who were all nice) that it was too bad they didn't have room for a gift shop, as I liked the little one they used to have. And do you know I had walked by the new gift shop at least a dozen times without knowing it was there. There are these glass display cases along the walkway of the elevator lobby, but I didn't realize they were for a gift shop, just general Notre Dame memorabilia. But the gift shop is behind those glass cases. They probably should have had the door facing outwards rather than into an area that looks like a private office. If there was a sign, I missed it.

Maybe the management will decide to make some changes -- and put back the old portraits in the lobby, add some oak bookshelves with books (I think they used to feature alumni authors, but might be wrong about that), and some other touches from the old lobby to make the legions of old-timers (like me) happy. The friendly lady at check-in told me that an alumni had commented to her that they should have kept one of the old rooms intact -- what a great idea that would have been. Probably there would always have been a long waiting list for that room.

Golden Domers love 'em some tradition.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Britain1981

Dear Britain1981:

Thank you for your visit, and for your comments. We will work very hard in the years ahead to ensure the associates of the Morris Inn continue to demonstrate our support for the mission of Notre Dame, and look forward to supporting the many traditions on campus over the generations with a new level of comfort for today's traveler.

We certainly never want you to feel forced to do anything - valet parking at the hotel or free parking close by are both great options. Parking is certainly an opportunity for most Universities - whether a downtown location or free-standing campus. We are very happy to have our hotel located at the heart of our campus, and will be ready to assist with a free parking option in a gated lot close-by to save you from having to circle to find a space, or a nominal price ($15 overnight) valet option at the front door so the first guest of the day, and the last guest of the night have the same great service without arriving to find the adjacent lot full as the day goes on. Both options are waiting for you when you return!

Thank you also for the great point on the gift shop signage - based on your feedback one is on the way to help guests find their way into this great store behind the front desk. It is an extension of the Hammes Book Store on campus - same great items, and if you see something you like and need a different size, we'll run to the main store to get it and have it delivered to your room or shipped home - just let us know how we can help.

Yours in Notre Dame: