“Depressing property in need of work”
Review of Super 8 South Bend

Super 8 South Bend
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We chose this place because we were exhausted and needed a quick place to stay late at night while driving back from Nebraska to upstate NY.

Our first indication of what we were in for was trying to get someone to show up at the front desk. We walked in just before midnight, with another customer just behind us. We walked in to an empty desk, but noticed a bell on the counter, so we rang it. And rang it. And rang it again. Going on 10 minutes of standing there, I tried calling the hotel's phone on my cellphone. The phone rang right in front of us, but no one showed. We then started discussing our options and looking for another place when a rustling occurred just around the corner of a doorway from behind the desk, and a young gentleman who had obviously been sleeping came out squinting and rubbing his eyes. He began checking us in, took my payment and information, and then tried to send us on our way. I asked if we should be receiving a key and have room number revealed, which reminded him he had forgotten both.

The room door was damaged, with the bottom edge of it showing signs of splintering and the veneer peeling off on the outside. The first thing we noticed about our non-smoking room was the frigid temperature of it, as the air conditioning was turned on full blast. It was so cold in the room it hurt to enter. The next thing to hit us was the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke. Again, we quickly discussed our options, but since we were so tired and were just going to stay the night, we decided to just accept defeat and hope for the best.

We opened a window to allow some warm air into the room, but the truck noise from the nearby highway was pretty loud. It was enhanced by two semis that were parked and idling in the parking lot. The need for warmer, and hopefully fresher, air won out, so we left it open.

The shower provided plenty of hot water - so much, in fact, I wasn't able to get the temperature down to a comfortable level. I've never had that problem at a hotel before. Other issues with the bathroom was the shower rod wasn't fully attached to the walls. It was a newer curved rod meant to provide more room in the shower, but the rod drooped so that the curved part pointed down, and thus it was impossible to get the shower curtain to close at either end, as gravity caused the curtain rings to slide towards the middle where the lowest portion of the bar was. The sink was in very bad shape (see picture), and was indicative of the condition of the room in general.

The beds were actually somewhat comfortable, and we found the constant truck noise actually had a white-noise effect for sleeping. Or maybe it was because we had been driving for so long we were extra exhausted - I'm still not sure, but either way we had a decent night's sleep.

I don't remember anything about the breakfast offered because we were in such a hurry to escape the place we decided not to have it. I did grab several cups of apple juice, which wasn't bad.

On a positive note, bikes we had on the back of a trailer were safe overnight in the parking lot.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank EJEvo8

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We used to stay at this hotel for ND football games and it has gone down hill over the last few years. This last time we stayed there was a leak in the room above us that was dripping into our room and bathroom. While we knew they had no other rooms to put us in becasue it was a game weekend, the staff appeared to care less, did not offer an apology or a discount. This place has terrible service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MACND1967
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed here after driving 12 hours. Provided a clean, safe , and economical room for our family and dog. One negative is that if you have a pet you will be put in a smoking room.

Reviewed March 4, 2008

Desk clerks were rude and did not seem to care. Room, especially bathroom, was dirty. Large stains on sheets, ratty looking bedspread. Smelled like lots of smoking had taken place in the room even though I requested a non-smoking room. Free Breakfast consisted of watered down orange juice, stale pastries. I felt my complaints were not acknowledged or addressed. I have had similar experiences in other Super Eight Hotels. My comments to Corporate Headquarters were not even answered. Never again will I stay at a Super Eight! :>(

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I spent 3 night s in this very clean and hospitable motel, the staff there is great , if I ever get back to South Bend I will stay there again.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank oscar_42_2000
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The hotel was clean. I was expecting a refrigerator like the other mid-west Super 8 hotels, but there was none. We walked in to see availability. The guy at the front desk was polite but a little rough on the appearance. I waited to see if he would offer me or even ask me if I had discounts. I had to tell him AAA after he charged us full price. The hotel was nice except for the connecting rooms and the noisy neighbors. Do hotels really think that people like connecting rooms? The should reserve them for a certain part of the hotel. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I wasn't expecting much, but it really was OK. Hotel was clean, bed was comfy, maid service was prompt all 3 days. Front desk even printed our boarding passes for us when we checked out. Quite a deal for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)