“Unique Floor plan makes a sweet suite”

Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 25, 2010

This Hampton Inn suite had extra space and a very functional floor plan. Upon entry, it appeared to be a pretty standard one bedroom suite. The kitchen area had a sink, microwave, refridgerator, dishwasher, a two burner electric stove, and a table/breakfast bar. It was reasonably well stocked with dishes, silverware, cookware, etc. The living area had a fold-out couch, chair, tv and seemed a bit more spacious than some we have seen. The unique part was that the bedroom and bathroom were off a short hallway, with the bedroom to the right and the bathroom to the left. This made the bedroom very private, and if sharing the suite, the occupants of the living room did not have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. There was also a small closet in the short hallway.

The bathroom was small, with the tub and toilet in one room and the sink in the hallway. However, the sink was around the corner, so it was fairly private.

The bedroom was spacious, with a huge closet. There was also a bench, dresser, TV and chair. The heating unit was nice and quiet, unlike some other hotels we have stayed in recently. Bed was very comfortable. Everything was clean.

I'm not sure if all suites at this hotel have the same floor plan. We had room 320. We were only there for one night, and thought it was very functional and would be great for longer stays or if traveling with family members or friends.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is near several restaurants (McDonald's is next door) and not far from the highway. Also, the cost of the suite (AAA/AARP) was lower than the cost for a king room!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I travel constanty for business and I must say this hotel was significanty under par. The carpeting is very old and worn, the room *I was in a suite" was austere. The TV is an old, old style. There are NO restaurants near except fast food. The breakfast was above average for a Hampton Inn and the staff was friendly. There is very limited parking in front, so nearly every night I had to drive around the back in the dark, alone to get into the hotel. While the rooms do have individual thermostats, the heat is provided by a window unit that is very noisy and runs constantly. When I checked into my room, I found garbarge on the floor in the dressing area, so the cleaning is not great either. I had found a similar price at the Hyatt is Mishawaka. Next time I will go there.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank sendmehome
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This hotel was very quiet and adequate. The breakfast buffet was well done and well stocked. The rooms were large enough and staff was friendly. A bag of garbage was left by the ice machine for an evening which detracted from the professional image Hilton has. I couldn't find a business center so I couldn't print my boarding pass, the pool looked good, and while the exercise room was large enough, it didn't have bikes. I used Hilton Points, so the value was high, but wouldn't consider paying $150 for a night without use of points. I would recommend this hotel if it is under $100 or using Hilton HHonors points where it is only 20,000 points.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2008

This was one of the biggest Hampton Inn's I've stayed at. Very nice hotel and was kept up very well. I had 2 rooms booked and both were clean & nice. I will be back next time I'm in South Bend. We asked where a good place to go eat BBQ would be, they told us to go to J Willy's Barbeque, 4 buildings down. They said Gordon Ramsey was at this restaurant in April for his tv show, delicious food at a good price.
The breakfast at the hotel was okay, warm not hot, but it had enough variety to please.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Our baseball team stayed at the Hampton Inn and LOVED it. They treated us great and were very accommodating. They went beyond my expectations, especially when the washing machine broke (might have been our fault for washing too many dirty baseball pants anyways) and offered his appt complex down the street.
Our team and dads played cards in the lobby 3 evenings and cleaned up after themselves The Mgr. thanked them several times. I will be staying at this Hampton again, if we ever have another baseball tourney up there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 14, 2008

This hotel is a few miles from Notre Dame University, 15 minutes from the airport and near many restaurants and stores. The staff is very polite and professional. The hotel and rooms are clean and modern enough. The beds are fantastic. The buffet breakfast that is included is fine, although not great. There is ample parking and the complex is very secure.

We were there with 2 adults and 2 kids, so we got a suite and a regular room which were connected. It worked great.

All in all, no complaints, and I would definately stay again next time I am in town.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 28, 2008

This Hampton is only a mile from my house. Recently I had work done at my home that required me to vacate. I used up some HHonors points and checked into my local Hampton.

The hotel is about a decade old but was well maintained. The location is good if your traveling to South Bend. It's about 5 minutes north of the 80/90 exit 77 (University of Notre Dame).

There are several restaurants in the area: McD's, BK, plus other fast food. Also close to a Steak & Ale house and J. Willy's Barbque, which is fresh from a Gordon Ramsey makeover (ala Kitchen Nightmares).

The room was clean and well appointed. The bathroom was starting to show some age, but was still better than most hotels. The bed was the famed Hampton "cloud 9", which is my favorite. The window curtains were very light weight, almost like silk. They looked really nice, but as soon as you put the air on they few around like crazy.

My room was on the south side of the hotel, which backed up to another hotel (Days Inn), which was VERY quiet.

The lobby was large and welcoming. Very nice; and a bit grander than most Hampton's. My only real complaint is the lack of Diet Coke. You can always tell when you're at a hotel that caters to business travels... they serve diet Coke.

Overall a great choice if your on business in South Bend, visiting the University of Notre Dame, or just taking a time out driving cross country!

Stayed: February 2008