All reviewsfront desknotre dameroom was cleanhockey teamexcellent staywould definitely stay here againstaff was very friendlytoll roadcomplimentary breakfastfresh fruitfull kitchenwafflesfootball gamelobbybendinnschicago
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The front desk personnel including the managers were most courteous and helpful. The hotel had just finished some renovation and we found everything in good working order. The morning free breakfast was quite good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Tim911, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for your help in making us great. Your concerns have been addressed and the staff re-trained.

At Your Service,
Tim Dehnart

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I have stayed here many time the hotel is clean and well maintained. The just did a major remodel and the place looks great. They have a great location that is easy access from the bypass or toll road. They are close to Notre Dame.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Kristofer L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for the awesome review! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

On my drive from New York to Portland, OR I was looking for a place to stay on my way through. Very clean rooms, and close to I-80. The staff was friendly as well. I would definitely stay here again when I come back to the area. It was close to good restaurants as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for the awesome review. Hope to see you back here on your way back thru.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is the 85th review I have posted at TripAdvisor, and it is the first time I have felt the need to rate a property a "1." I was quite dissatisfied during my stay, but the General Manager (GM) has refused to honor the "100% Hampton Guarantee," which promises "If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our commitment & your guarantee. That's 100% Hampton." This hotel's GM, Ms. Kelly [--], has told me that she will make no monetary allowance due to the problems and safety issues we encountered during our stay.

The hotel was undergoing renovations, but the e-mail the hotel sent us said that the renovations would be completed a week before we arrived (by February 28). As it turned out, however, the renovations had not been completed, and the hotel was not prepared to welcome an almost-full-house of groups for the weekend of March 7-9. Although some of the problems were of an almost trivial nature (e.g.,our room's closet did not have a doorknob or handle), a large number of substantial safety issues were evident.

In our wing of the building, the renovations had one stairwell blocked off (rendering what appeared to me to be a fire hazard) and another stairwell passable but housing bags of grout, furniture, and cabinets in its landing. In addition, and most alarmingly, a number of smoke detectors had been taped over. A number of hallways were nearly blocked; although they were passable for normal use, they could be deadly during an evacuation procedure in the dark. Uncovered electrical junction boxes, potentially dangerous construction materials, etc., were also visible.

I spoke to the hotel's GM at the front desk on the morning of March 9. Ms. [--] immediately adopted an argumentative tone and claimed that 1) we had been informed prior to our arrival via e-mail that the renovations would be going on until March 14 (this was not true; the e-mail referred to February 28), 2) a sign in front of the hotel stated that renovations were underway and that we could expect to be inconvenienced, and 3) there were really no safety issues in the hotel. In particular, she argued, the taping over of the smoke detectors did not render them in any way ineffective and that they would still work fine in case of a fire. She also noted if they had not taped them over, they would be going off all the time because of the dust, and we would then be complaining about the alarms. Note that the signs regarding renovations were of the "Pardon our dust" nature and not at all reflective of the dangers lurking within the hotel.

I certainly will keep my distance from this Hampton Inn.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank jeffsm5111

I apologize that your stay was less then the Hampton Standard. We strive to be the best and it is clear that we failed to do so during your recent stay.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We currently have an open complaint open with Corporate Office on this location. This hotel was under remodeling and we had a drapery guy enter the room with a master key when my son was it in alone because no one answered the door. First of all we instruct our kids to never answer the door, two we had the do not disturb sign on the handle, three he ISN'T EVEN AN EMPLOYEE OF YOUR HOTEL and he has access to my room? I understand remodeling and doing that when the rooms are not occupied but apparently that is not the case. When we complained to the onsite manager Kelly, she said they have a right to do that. THAT IS HORRIBLE. So anyone (flooring, drapery, cabinets, plumbers etc... non employees of the hotel) can come in at anytime? NO ONE should be entering my room like that especially since we had the DND sign on the door. She said it was wrong because of the sign on the door and he acknowledged that too, but she also stated if the sign wouldn't have been on there, he could have entered. I have a HUGE problem with anyone having master keys to my room while I am either in it or have my stuff it in. Are they bonded, do you have background checks done, what if my daughter was in the shower - anything. It is 100% wrong and if that is the case that anyone can enter my room at any time, it should have been stated so on the "pardon our dust" sign because I can guarantee our entire group of 20 that stayed there would have walked right back off. DO NOT STAY THERE if you want strangers walking in your room at their leisure.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Debbie M
Kristofer L, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and your visit. The safety of our guests is of the highest importance to us. The forman of that crew was notified and corrective action taken.