All reviewsnotre dameroom was cleanhockey teamexcellent staywould definitely stay here againstaff was very friendlyfront desk stafftoll roadcomplimentary breakfastfresh fruitfull kitchenwafflesfootball gamelobbybendinnschicago
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stay in this hotel on most of my trips to South Bend. It's a bit out of the way from downtown and there are not many places to eat nearby, but the price is right and it is clean and quiet--at least during the week. I am sure if you are there on a football weekend, the place is pretty much wall to wall parties. As such a lot of the rooms have counters and fridges and microwaves, and are very roomy. The only complaint is one that can't be fixed; if you are directionally challenged stay elsewhere, because the hotel is laid out in a square. So ask if you should park in back or front.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Rebecca T, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Cabaret 59, We truly appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. One of the best parts of our job is to build relationships with our Guests that keep coming back. I am thrilled to know that you confident in our Staff and our property in such a manner. We will continue to take great care of you and be certain you find your way through our 'maze'. :) If it makes you feel better....sometimes I have to look both ways down the hall when I give a site tour to make sure I go the right way!

Wishing you well and look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here for four nights during freshmen move-in at Notre Dame, which was a very busy time. The hotel was completely sold out, and many of the guests staying there were on a similar schedule for checking in and out, having breakfast, asking questions, etc. The staff was up to the task.

Breakfast was very good; they had some type of egg and meat choice every day, as well as delicious oatmeal, cold cereal, pastries, fruit and cereal. This area was kept well-stocked and clean by a lovely lady who made sure no one was missing something they needed.

The desk staff was friendly and helpful, and really knew the neighborhood so they could give good directions and advice. Also, we had a little problem one morning with the hot water regulator on our shower, and it was taken care of right away. They even gave us a Starbucks gift certificate for our trouble. They wanted to make sure I was still a happy guest, which I appreciated.

Rooms are nothing special here, but they are clean and convenient, and there is free WiFi. Since we were there four nights it would have been nice to have one more washer and dryer in the guest laundry room (there was only one of each).

This hotel is very close to the north entrance of the Notre Dame campus, so it's a good location. You will pay a lot more than seems reasonable during football weekends, but that is normal for this town. The location and the staff are the main reasons I can recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Notre Dame.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Feedback is what drives us to strive for excellence. I will be sure to share your thoughts with all of our staff as it does take our entire Team to ensure great experience.

We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

It is clear that this is an older Hampton Inn, or at least that it seems that way. Strange place, about a mile north of Notre Dame. If you arrive at night to check in, you have to buzz and stand in the vestibule, waiting for the front desk to buzz you in. This is not a high crime area, at least in my experience, but I have never seen this before. The desk clerk was away from the front desk and we literally had to wait five minutes for a guest to come and let us in. Very odd.

The rooms seem worn and a bit tired. Old fashioned curtains seemed a little on the dowdy side. The room was considerably smaller than the comparable rooms I have had at other Hampton Inns. It lacks the little touches and amenities other Hampton Inns offer. The heating/cooling system is old fashioned and noisy. It is difficult to regulate the temp.

Other than that it is a pretty standard Hampton Inn, with free internet (thank you Hilton for doing what the luxury hotels do not do!) and the ubiquitous breakfast in the morning.

It was inexpensive and just fine, but there are many other much nicer Hampton Inns, and also better budget hotels in the South Bend area.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the look and feel of your guest room. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. I’ve asked our maintenance team to look into fixing the thermostat to make sure it’s user friendly. I apologize that you had to wait outside. We pride ourselves in safety and security for all of our guests. We do lock our doors at 11pm to monitor any persons that come to the hotel. We hope you will come visit us in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I didn't read the reviews first and I am glad I didn't. Being a HHonors Member I always will pick their properties over others because I know what to expect. I checked in and then went to the store and came back and realized our room wasn't where I thought it was. After going back the desk they pointed me in the right direction and we were on our way to the other side of the hotel. Unfortunately that room smelled of smoke so we had to go back to the desk again. The gave us a new very nice and clean room and goodie bags. The suites are very large and well appointed. Breakfast was good and the eating area clean. I can't believe all of the bad reviews of this property because we had a great visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words! Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend strives to give each and every Guest a wonderful experience. Please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I would like to say that if we had not found a bed a bug in our bed on 8/4/12 at this hotel I would have given it a 5 instead of 1. My husband and I were traveling around the country for 3 weeks and only stayed at Hilton properties. Because I had gotten bitten by bed bugs at a another Hilton property a few days prior we were checking for bed bugs in our room. When my husband pulled back the mattress there was a live bug on the boxspring. The guy at the front desk came and took it and researched it online. He told us that it wasn't a bed bug. He couldn't move us because there were no rooms available, needless to say we didn't sleep much. And he reassured us that no Hotels in South Bend has bed bugs. After getting home and researching online, we found complaints about bed bugs at many Hotels in South Bend on bedbugregistry.com. We spent the entire next day at a local laudromat washing everything we had. We threw our suitcases out and for the rest of our trip had our clothes in plastic bags.

Room Tip: Since the USA banned DDT which is the only thing that kills bed bugs, there has been an outbreak of them. Please check your rooms when you stay at hotels. Research online about bed bugs and what you can do to make sure you don't get them.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank HR W
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and we strive to provide our guests with 100% satisfaction. I’ve addressed your concerns with our staff for future protocol. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will work to make sure the problem is addressed.