All reviewsnotre dameroom was cleanhockey teamexcellent staywould definitely stay here againstaff was very friendlyfront desk stafftoll roadcomplimentary breakfastfresh fruitfull kitchenwafflesfootball gamelobbybendinnschicago
Reviewed October 4, 2012

It is clear that this is an older Hampton Inn, or at least that it seems that way. Strange place, about a mile north of Notre Dame. If you arrive at night to check in, you have to buzz and stand in the vestibule, waiting for the front desk to buzz you in. This is not a high crime area, at least in my experience, but I have never seen this before. The desk clerk was away from the front desk and we literally had to wait five minutes for a guest to come and let us in. Very odd.

The rooms seem worn and a bit tired. Old fashioned curtains seemed a little on the dowdy side. The room was considerably smaller than the comparable rooms I have had at other Hampton Inns. It lacks the little touches and amenities other Hampton Inns offer. The heating/cooling system is old fashioned and noisy. It is difficult to regulate the temp.

Other than that it is a pretty standard Hampton Inn, with free internet (thank you Hilton for doing what the luxury hotels do not do!) and the ubiquitous breakfast in the morning.

It was inexpensive and just fine, but there are many other much nicer Hampton Inns, and also better budget hotels in the South Bend area.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the look and feel of your guest room. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. I’ve asked our maintenance team to look into fixing the thermostat to make sure it’s user friendly. I apologize that you had to wait outside. We pride ourselves in safety and security for all of our guests. We do lock our doors at 11pm to monitor any persons that come to the hotel. We hope you will come visit us in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I didn't read the reviews first and I am glad I didn't. Being a HHonors Member I always will pick their properties over others because I know what to expect. I checked in and then went to the store and came back and realized our room wasn't where I thought it was. After going back the desk they pointed me in the right direction and we were on our way to the other side of the hotel. Unfortunately that room smelled of smoke so we had to go back to the desk again. The gave us a new very nice and clean room and goodie bags. The suites are very large and well appointed. Breakfast was good and the eating area clean. I can't believe all of the bad reviews of this property because we had a great visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Rebecca T, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words! Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend strives to give each and every Guest a wonderful experience. Please come back and visit us soon!

Best!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I would like to say that if we had not found a bed a bug in our bed on 8/4/12 at this hotel I would have given it a 5 instead of 1. My husband and I were traveling around the country for 3 weeks and only stayed at Hilton properties. Because I had gotten bitten by bed bugs at a another Hilton property a few days prior we were checking for bed bugs in our room. When my husband pulled back the mattress there was a live bug on the boxspring. The guy at the front desk came and took it and researched it online. He told us that it wasn't a bed bug. He couldn't move us because there were no rooms available, needless to say we didn't sleep much. And he reassured us that no Hotels in South Bend has bed bugs. After getting home and researching online, we found complaints about bed bugs at many Hotels in South Bend on bedbugregistry.com. We spent the entire next day at a local laudromat washing everything we had. We threw our suitcases out and for the rest of our trip had our clothes in plastic bags.

Room Tip: Since the USA banned DDT which is the only thing that kills bed bugs, there has been an outbreak of them. Please check your rooms when you stay at hotels. Research online about bed bugs and what you can do to make sure you don't get them.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank HR W
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and we strive to provide our guests with 100% satisfaction. I’ve addressed your concerns with our staff for future protocol. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will work to make sure the problem is addressed.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at this Hampton Inn two different times over a span of a week. Both were great stays. The hotel is very clean and has a very good breakfast. However, on our second stay there was no hot water for the shower. We were told the water heater was broken and was being fixed. They offered us the night for free without us asking for a refund! We will be staying here again when we return to South Bend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Rebecca T, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for posting a review of our Hotel. I'm sorry you were without hot water, we did have a minor issue that was rectified shortly after the discovery, I'm glad to see that our Hamptonality was shining bright and the staff clearly exceeded your expectations. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Do not waste your money on this property. Management was very nasty to me on the phone after an error on the part of their front desk staff. Instead of suggesting options what I was treated like trash. I own a timeshare with Hilton and now I regret buying with them just because of the way I was treated by Kelly and her staff. They are the kind of management that hide behind a big name because they think they are untouchable. Well Kelly you and your staff cannot longer hide behind the Hampton name. Last but not least, during our conversation on the phone she made a rude noise to get me off the phone when I was just trying to get my point across. It was so bad that I cancelled my reservation. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Juan L

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry that you feel you received a poor level of service. Unfortunately, we were at max capacity and could not accommodate your request of a party in our Courtyard. With Guest Rooms facing the Courtyard, it was imperative that we adhere to our Guest Comfort Policy. We feel it would not have been an enjoyable experience for you and your party. We happily cancelled your room reservation without penalty. Again, I apologize you were not pleased with the experience. Please contact me directly so we can discuss further. I look forward to speaking with you.