All reviews front desk notre dame room was clean hockey team excellent stay would definitely stay here again staff was very friendly toll road complimentary breakfast fresh fruit full kitchen waffles football game lobby bend inns chicago
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stay at dozens of hotels on business throughout the year. Let me start by saying there is nothing terribly wrong with this hotel. Location is ok, near both fast food and other restaurants. Price was comparable, even a little bit ($10) lower than other ones in the area. The hotel is an older one, and although I stay at about 15 or more Hampton Inns during the year - this one doesn't quite look like a Hampton Inn, or is built to an older standard in a large square with a central courtyard (it actually looks like it may have once been a Courtyard by Marriott.)

The hotel shows its age. Rooms are a reasonably clean and comfortable, but my carpet had old stains and wear, and the tile in the bathroom had a crack, just the kind of stuff that tells you the hotel is about due for a remodel.

The parking is unusual, there are only about 40 spaces in front of the hotel, with the rest around the back which is some distance away. If you arrive late, you're parking pretty far from the door. In the rain, it would be a miserable walk.

Most interesting was the view from my room which was located on the south side of the hotel, third floor. It faced a boarded up hotel which had been vacant for some time with assorted trash and weeds everywhere. I don't usually choose a hotel or a room based on the view, but this was exceptional and even a bit amusing in a perverse sort of way. I did not feel unsafe at any time.

The staff do a great job at this facility, making up for many of the shortcomings of the building. Breakfast was good, there was plenty of food and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Even so, next time I stay in the area I will probably not choose this hotel as there are 10 other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in the rear of the hotel (west side), second or third floor. McDonalds is your view from the north side, and the creepy (but quiet) vacant hotel is your view from the south side.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank copperdragon66
Rebecca T, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and review of our property. I am glad to hear that your overall stay was a pleasant one! I will pass along the positive feedback to our Front Desk and Breakfast Staff. We work hard each day to keep our hotel neat and tidy and keep up with any and all maintenance. We are excited to share that we are in line for a full renovation later this year and into the first part of next year. We promise to take the same great care during your next stay, you may be pleasantly surprised with our updates. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again!
Becky Turak

Reviewed April 13, 2012

The hotels has a McDonalds on one side and a boarded up building on the other. I traveled on business with a co-worker. He had the side with McDonalds and the parking light lots and drive thru noise was disruptive. I had the other side, no noise just not a great view.

The room was clean and comfortable. I did use the pool and hot tub. Both were very nice.

Room Tip: The hotel has a McDonalds on one side which can be a bit disruptive because of the lights and traffic. The view on the other side is a boarded up building. The rooms are nice and the pool is very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Rebecca T, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Hello and Thank you for staying with us at the Hampton Inn & Suite South Bend. We truly appreicate your business as well as your feedback.
I can appreciate the lights/traffice being a bit disruptive. We do our best to make certain that the curtains pull shut tightly to keep out any unwanted light ensure a restful night. I apologize that the noise was still an issue.
We have been and continue to contact City and County officials on a weekly basis regarding the vacant space next door. We will continue to contact them until we receive a satisfactory result. This summer a privacy fence the enitre length of our property is being installed to help alleviate the site, at least at ground level until the building can be removed completely.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times on our way to Ohio. The breakfast is nice and the hotel is very quiet. The fitness center is adequate and the pool is perfect for kids - not too deep and a good size. We will always choose this place as it is convenient from I-90 and our stays have always been pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2012
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for you continual loyalty!! It truly means a lot. I am happy to hear the pool was perfect for you and the kids and the fitness room meet your needs. We will be doing a renovation this summer which includes a new and improved fitness center and upgrade in the pool area. The rooms will also receive some attention later in the year.
Again THANK YOU for your LOYALTY and taking the time to comment on your stay!! We look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Very clean, comfortable and quiet - everything I expect from a Hampton. The staff was courteous, and the front desk guys helped me out by extending my check-out while I was trying to figure out if I could get a flight out a day early (since my business meeting ended earlier than expected). I was out of luck with the airline, but didn't mind AT ALL staying another night. I had a King Suite on the second floor with windows facing the courtyard, and honestly I think this was the quietest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Also, the blackout curtains and dim alarm clock plus a comfortable bed in the bedroom combined to make this a super-restful place to stay. I stay in a lot of Hilton properties and this was definitely one of the best.

The only negative was poor temperature control in the shower. I follow a Paleo diet (no processed food), so I wasn't eating the breakfast - can't comment on that but I know it's not up to my nutritional standards. It was nice to have a kitchenette for my own food.

Room Tip: Courtyard-facing suite on 2nd floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us! I am thrilled to hear of your experience here with us and hope you will return again soon. To address the water temperature, I apologize the temprature was not to your liking, we have been investigating this and have made sure that the temprature setting is where it should be on the water heating units.

I am a fan of Paleo, Rob Wolff is amazing and a wealth of knowledge on the subject! I'll be honest and say with my busy schedule that I have not been following like I used to, but kudos to you for keeping up with it during your traveling!

We'd love to have you back! If you let me know when you'll be back, I'll try to hook you up with some Paleo goodies, so you'll feel more like home away from home.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Traveling for business and had to make the haul to South Bend from Indy. Boring drive, but decent speed limits. Major traffic thru Kokomo. South Bend as a whole was not what I expected. Having a legendary university like Notre Dame located here I expected a much cleaner look and feel to the city, but it can't hold a candle to other major universities like the University of Chapel Hill (no, I'm not a Carolina fan! I actually hate UNC!).

Found hotel using Trip Advisor. Great decision.

- Friend staff upon entering the hotel.
- Lobby very clean
- The front door was surprising small to get thru. (just my observation)
- Room #214 was very spacious, spacious kitchen, big room, big vanity space, smaller bathroom area. (toilet paper roll hidden behind the door!)
- Curtains in living room area had water damage and there were water stains on the ceiling, but that didn't effect my stay at all. Just a note.
- Room has dinner table and office table.
- Comfy couch and chair.
- Flat screens are great.

Room Tip: 214 is a spacious, double bed, Jr. suite. Great view of the parking lot and McDonald's!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
notredamehampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I happy to hear you enjoyed the larger room and comfy couch and chair. In addition I will also take care of those curtains. keep an eye out for our new lobby that will be coming this year as well as new rooms in the near future. Again THANK YOU for staying with us and we hope to see you soon!!!