“Staying on the streets is better than this place”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of our life and not cheap! The only thing clean about this hotel was the sheets and I was not sure about that. How the health department keeps this place open is unbelievable. Go ANYWHERE else but here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Utahgirl72
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

First room smelled so bad the desk employee wouldn't even step inside. Next room the ceiling leaks and its not raining. Everything is old, worn and gross. Best thing for this property is to be torn down. I will be calling Choice Rewards. Please do not stay here for your own health & safety

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is beyond hope. There is MOLD growing on the outside of the building, the parking lot is over run with grass, the curtains are ripped, the wallpaper is peeling off the walls in the bathroom, and don't even look at the tub. The health department should close this place.

Room Tip: And to top it off, the place is over priced, reflecting the fact that it is right near Notre Dame ca...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE. We booked 2 doubles and were given a King and a sofa. We were told that there were no 2 double rooms. Accepting our fate, when I went to make the sofa bed, there were no sheets & hardly any towels. I went to the front desk. I was told that the hotel was just sold a week ago and they had to "look" for sheets. The night maintenance man looked up our booking and found we were supposed to have the room next door. We moved at 11 pm at night. I was told we were supposed to get a "break" on our bill for this, so we stayed extra days. Of course, I got my credit card bill and we never received the break. This hotel is an absolute dump. The carpets are all stained. They had an actual flood cascading down a wall after a rainstorm, which was dangerous to get by. The free "breakfast" consisted of donuts and bagels every single morning. I was sorry to have to give this place a one star. I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay here. Believe me, I am not kidding. I wish I had taken pictures.

Room Tip: Ask how old the motel is and when it was last remodeled. Ask them if they would stay there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here on our way across the country with a very good coupon. The price was right, there is internet, breakfast and a pool, but that is the end of the nice things I can say about this place. I am sure this hotel was nice when it was new - in 1972 (ish), but no one has put any money into this property in 20 years. The carpets are stained, the walls are bashed in, the security features on the doors are missing, the toilet doesn't fill and the bathtub doesn't drain.

The front desk staff tried and seemed brand new, but she had a hard time just programming the door keys and remembering what she was doing from one moment to the next. I took the kids to the indoor pool (the out-door one has no water in it) and the hot tub and wading pool are closed. The one pool is so chlorinated my oldest just got out after two minutes. There are empty vodka bottles in the corners of the pool area. There used to be a "fundome", but all it has now are some very old arcade games. Needless to say, I am quite worried about breakfast tomorrow morning.

Room Tip: Even number 20X rooms seem to be a bit safer as they don't have outdoor entrances and are not on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Trip
I was very disappointed with the "Quality" Inn. The name is extremely deceiving. The only quality thing about the place were the hotel staff I encountered a the front desk who were both extremely nice and made you feel good, for the brief amount of time you are up there until you have to head back to your room. I just wanted to state this first as people in the past have complained about the staff, but from the two times I dealt with them they were very nice and accommodating. In moving onto the hotel itself. Horrible is the best word I can use to describe it. The whole hotel defiantly has water and mold issues. The whole place smelled heavily of it and not to mention my nose was going crazy. In the dark, dingy hallway to my room, evidence of water problems, beyond just the smell, came in the wallpaper totally pealing up about a foot or so for over a yard in length. It was horrible. (I have a picture posted of it in the photos section). After passing that, I arrived at my room. The door was sticky and was in very bad shape. The room was also dark and just depressing. Smelled of moisture, and upon looking outside it made sense as my room was around half way bellow the ground level outside my window with a slope to accommodate my window so I would not feel like I was in a basement. This explained the water problem. Just a poorly thought out design. Moving on from that, the room in general looked old and worn. TV was old and the picture was not always great. Sheets on the bed smelled bad and so did the towels in the bathroom. The bathroom is what is really disgusting for me. The tub was yellow (I have posted a picture in the photos section) and the ceilings were lower. The lighting was extremely poor, so it made the whole bathroom dingy. Everything in the bathroom was old. The sink has cracks in it, did not not leak but looked bad. Facet was horrible and old. The bathroom door would not close or lock for that matter. I refused to use the shower and just used my friend's at the Courtyard Marriott, where I really wish I had stayed. The rest of the hotel was just odd. It defiantly was not a hotel to begin with. Maybe an office complex. There was an odd fun dome area that was very empty and had a few games and that is it. No one was around at all. There were a lot of rooms looking onto it, but none were occupied. So all in all I would strongly suggest you avoid this hotel at all cost. It cost $80 and its probably better to go buy a cheap mattress and put it on the street and sleep there. The America's Best Inn next door sounds a lot better for a cheaper price. Whatever you do, do not go to the "Quality" Inn. There is nothing quality about it.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank AlexM111
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I dont even know where to begin because the list goes on. Pulling in the parking lot, things looked fine. We were shocked when we entered the building to find the desk clerk sitting and she never once stood to greet us. Actually alot of staff were behind the front desk chatting and using language that would be unacceptable for a business. It seemed more like a rest area for the employees than the greeting desk of a hotel.The clerk was a little snippy with her remarks, almost as if we were iggnorant. When we found our room, it smelled of smoke and mildew. I asked to get switch, and it was no problem. Our second room was better but far from quality! Housekeeping needs to be retrained, especially in the bathroom area. Pool area was dirty. The windows in this area look like they havent been cleaned, same for the floors. There were broken chairs and the hot tub didnt work. Children were running all throughout the hotel all hours of the day and night. At one point they were out of towels and said we couldnt have any until the following day AFTER housekeeping arrived. I asked to speak to the manager about some issues and was told "IF" she comes in they didnt know what time it would be! Breakfast should not even be an option at this location and I honestly feel the night front deskmen, Mike, was the best thing this hotel has to offer. As for the est of the staff, maybe another set of "new" management should be hired and let everyone go. The 2 women I encountered at the desk should not be working in the hospitality business!

Room Tip: Keep going and find another location!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple