“Quality is defined in many ways...”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed October 24, 2011

my husband and I stayed here during the ND Vs. USC football game. It wasnt our first choice, but price made the difference. When we checked in, the staff was very polite, assisted us with directions, coupons for the Football Hall of Fame, and tips for getting to the campus. Minor issues in the room, things like not having towels when requested, carpets were stayed and wallpaper peeling, but the hotel is nothing new. An older hotel is sure to have flaws. Our breakfast was simple but it was nice to grab a bite before going to expierence the Irish. A few other issues were addressed immediatly and the maintance staff was friendly and prompt. Over all, I feel the staff helped make us comfortable. We were traveling for a game, not to site see a hotel. Our value was worth it!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank kelly w
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed October 9, 2011

This hotel should be closed. The rooms are in need of paint, new carpet, new beds and just about everything else. The TV had lines in the programs like we used to have when i was a kid. The sheets were over beach and worn out. We tried to turn the heat on and it smelled like it was on fire. The bar of soap for the shower was so small that on the second shower it was totally gone. On top of this there was a party in the room above us and it sounded like they were right outside my window. This went on until 1:00 in the morning. I went to get some ice but the machine was broken down. So I went into the other building, where I did find ice however there were large pieces of drywall missing and holes along the wall. The halls and room smelled. I would recommend that you don't stay here. All this on the night before the big game for a pretty large price.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CharlieC33
Reviewed September 30, 2011

After reviewing numerous negative comments on this site, I would like to begin by saying that I stayed during the first ND home game. This property is in the middle of an ownership change which was explained to me by the manager. The only problem I had the whole weekend was with a kid at the front desk, ironically named Nick. He was rude, disinterested and made me feel like I was bothering him. I did formally complain about his rudeness and the manager on duty was incredibly apologetic and accommodating. Even had a free drink in Gippers! There is no question in my mind why Nick is no longer there. That is definitely one of their first improvements.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank scooper94
Reviewed September 23, 2011

had rooms for a football weekend. upon registering we were told the bank took over the hotel. gippers lounge was closed due to license issues. got to our rooms, one had no hot water, other had no tv channels. cont. breakfast is a joke (unedible) only positives were location to nd, pancake house across the street, and the front desk staff was very cordial. at one time, nice place, stay away now

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank gogreen1
Reviewed August 16, 2011

When you pull in at midnight on a road trip, you can't always choose where you stay. I would never choose this place again, though. There was a dirty t-shirt on the sidewalk in front of the room when we went in, and it was still there at 9:00 the next morning. When we opened the door to the room, we got hit with a big whiff of musty moldiness, and we had to leave the door open for an hour and turn the AC up full to clear the air. The tub was dirty, there were big stains on the carpet, and things in the bathroom were falling apart. Worse, there were no outlets near the bed for my husband's CPAP machine or even a reading light. We were in the room less than nine hours, but it was too long.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family