“A nice surprise”

Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Traveled to South Bend for an ND-related event and had a great stay at the Waterford Estates Lodge. The rooms were very nice - clean and big. The beds and pillows were not the most comfortable in the world and the a/c unit was pretty loud, but all in all it was a good place to stay at (also, very reasonably priced). The gym was clean and adequately equipped. I am not a big breakfast person, but my family thought the breakfast there was great. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel is located close to the university, which was another plus for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank zabi_chi
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
I regret to learn that you found the bed and pillows uncomfortable. I will be sure to share your comments with the Waterford team.

Thank you for choosing Waterford Estates Lodge and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The rooms here are clean and comfortable, and there was a very good variety of items for breakfast. The staff in the restaurant was exceptionally friendly, as well. I was concerned because some reviews said a portion of the hotel appears to be a former motel which had been connected to a hotel, with no exterior windows. This is true, HOWEVER, the hallways on those parts of the building are glass, so you do have a window (next to the door just like a motel) with a view of the outside, but it simply has a protected hallway with a roof and glass walls instead of open to the elements. Hope this helps others who were wondering about this.

The only negative I have with this hotel is that I went with 2 friends and none of us wanted to sleep together, so when I made the reservation I asked if we could add a roll away bed to a room with 2 double beds and was told yes. When we arrived, the roll away was not already in the room (they usually are, in my experience) so we had to call down to the desk to have it brought up. There was no obvious place to put the bed, so when the gentleman brought the bed in we asked where people usually put one and he said he didn't know, "how 'bout right here?", indicating the walkway from the sleeping area to the bathroom! After he left the room, we tried it, but we would have had to crawl over the roll away bed (and the person sleeping in it) to get to the bathroom. We literally had to rearrange the furniture in the room (one piece being the dresser with a granite top - very, very heavy and difficult). Even then, in order to leave space for us to get to the bathroom, one end of the roll away bed had to rest on top of the heat/air register - not comfortable, and rather noisy when you're right on top of it.
If you don't need a roll away bed, I really have nothing negative to say about this hotel - just make sure you have beds/rooms for everyone in your party!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Welsher
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel clean and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet.
I am however, sorry to hear that your room was not comfortable due to the lack of room for a rollaway bed.
Your feedback is truly valuable, for comments like yours enables us to continuously improve the quality of our product and services. We will look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back to South Bend.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights 3/8 & 3/9 with kids ranging 8-18 yrs. The rooms were updated (except the shower, but it was just fine), beautiful and clean. The pool was well-maintained & stocked with clean towels, despite it being very busy due to a youth bowling event in the area. The breakfast was hot, fresh,& plentiful, no freeze-dried eggs & rubbery breakfast meat here! Extremely friendly employees everywhere. Asked for more towels to be delivered to our room, they were there in minutes. Food in the restaurant was delicious, drinks were reasonably priced ($2.50 for a beer). Would highly recommend staying here, excellent value!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Angela_Valpo
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waterford Estates Lodge. Your kind comments regarding our staff and our great breakfast buffet are very much appreciated and I will certainly pass those comments along.
Thank you, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Three of us stayed here on business recently. When asked by the desk clerk if we needed to be together we all answered that we didn't. She used one floor plan to show us how to get to our three rooms. We got our keys and went for some dinner. Upon returning we all entered the side door and sought out our rooms. The room that was identified as being next to the pool, wasn't. He eventually walked the halls until the room number appeared. The other went up to the second floor where the 200s turned to the 400s. After a few minutes of walking, he found his room. I had room 240 so I headed down the hall marked 260 to 244 thinking that 240 was around another corner.....not so. The 200s turned to the 400s again so I hiked back to the front desk. The female desk clerk was joined by a male staff member. He asked " can I help you?
direct and with no apparent interest in helping me. I said "I hope so - please direct me to room 240, I can't seem to find it" he pointed to the stairway that rose from the lobby opposite of the way I came in from. The female desk clerk smirked a smile at me as if to say "didn't I tell you?". I said nothing and hid my angst. Driving 300 miles through Chicago and the Calumet Region left me a bit exhausted and I just wanted to hit the bed and get some rest. I got to room 240 and the key didn't work. I called the desk staff and told the guy that the key didn't work. He asked if any lights worked on the lock, which they didn't. He instructed me to return to the front desk for keys to a new room. Reluctantly I walked down the hallway, through the two fire safety doors with my three bags and down the stairs (no elevators). Before I got to the door that opened to the lobby, the desk dude was coming out of a room with keys in hand. He looked at me and said "you can have this room". While saying that he gave me the key which i took with my temporarily free hand and he let the door close in front of me. Biting my lip, I used the key and upon opening the door, the desk clerk mumbled something like "sorrybotat". I made my self believe that he actually meant to apologize for the inconvenience he and his partner put me though and felt good about that.
The room was adequate and the bed very comfortable. We had our meeting at this place the next day and we left later in the day.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Legend3461
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us. I regret to learn that we did not provide the level of customer service you deserved.

We truly value your feedback, for comments like yours enable our continuous pursuit of excellence. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense. I hope your desire to join us again hasn’t been extinguished. I will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were in South Bend IN for a concert at the Morris and we stayed at The Waterford Lodge. I must say we were very impressed by accommodation and service, not to mention lovely restaurant/ bar. It is close to all the attractions in South Bend and so easy to find. Also affordable. We will definitely be back. We injoyed ourselves. We will be telling everyone we know how wonderful The Waterford Lodge is.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have everything you need right there.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gretchen420
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waterford Estates Lodge.
Your feedback is truly valuable. Comments like yours enables us to continuously improve the quality of our product and services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back as our guest.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Pub in the Hotel was fantastic. Closing time was 10:00 pm. I just arrived tired and hungry from Toledo, OH. Walking up to the restaurant at 9:55 pm and looking through the windows the only person visible was the bartender. The doors were shut but I gave them a tug anyway. She did NOT say "we're closed". What she said was..."you look hungry come on in". Excellent service surrounded the food preparation and more importantly the person working behind the bar!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Patrick K
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m delighted to read that our restaurant team took such good care of you.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here for the past three years while attending college bowing tournament. Staff is always so friendly. Rooms have always been clean and ready at check in. Buffet breakfast is good but need to be prepared for the rush at 10am. Ran out of food and plates and we had to wait a few minutes!!

Room Tip: No elevator request first floor if you have many bags.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank osumom31

We truly value your feedback and we would like to thank you for being a return guest. We appreciate your positive comments regarding cleanliness and our friendly staff.
I regret, however, to learn of the lack of service we provided during breakfast. Your comments are important and it enables our continuous pursuit to improve.
We look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back to South Bend.