“Friendly, Clean & Good Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend

Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Friendly, Clean & Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights 3/8 & 3/9 with kids ranging 8-18 yrs. The rooms were updated (except the shower, but it was just fine), beautiful and clean. The pool was well-maintained & stocked with clean towels, despite it being very busy due to a youth bowling event in the area. The breakfast was hot, fresh,& plentiful, no freeze-dried eggs & rubbery breakfast meat here! Extremely friendly employees everywhere. Asked for more towels to be delivered to our room, they were there in minutes. Food in the restaurant was delicious, drinks were reasonably priced ($2.50 for a beer). Would highly recommend staying here, excellent value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Angela_Valpo
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waterford Estates Lodge. Your kind comments regarding our staff and our great breakfast buffet are very much appreciated and I will certainly pass those comments along.
Thank you, and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Bentonville, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Three of us stayed here on business recently. When asked by the desk clerk if we needed to be together we all answered that we didn't. She used one floor plan to show us how to get to our three rooms. We got our keys and went for some dinner. Upon returning we all entered the side door and sought out our rooms. The room that was identified as being next to the pool, wasn't. He eventually walked the halls until the room number appeared. The other went up to the second floor where the 200s turned to the 400s. After a few minutes of walking, he found his room. I had room 240 so I headed down the hall marked 260 to 244 thinking that 240 was around another corner.....not so. The 200s turned to the 400s again so I hiked back to the front desk. The female desk clerk was joined by a male staff member. He asked " can I help you?
direct and with no apparent interest in helping me. I said "I hope so - please direct me to room 240, I can't seem to find it" he pointed to the stairway that rose from the lobby opposite of the way I came in from. The female desk clerk smirked a smile at me as if to say "didn't I tell you?". I said nothing and hid my angst. Driving 300 miles through Chicago and the Calumet Region left me a bit exhausted and I just wanted to hit the bed and get some rest. I got to room 240 and the key didn't work. I called the desk staff and told the guy that the key didn't work. He asked if any lights worked on the lock, which they didn't. He instructed me to return to the front desk for keys to a new room. Reluctantly I walked down the hallway, through the two fire safety doors with my three bags and down the stairs (no elevators). Before I got to the door that opened to the lobby, the desk dude was coming out of a room with keys in hand. He looked at me and said "you can have this room". While saying that he gave me the key which i took with my temporarily free hand and he let the door close in front of me. Biting my lip, I used the key and upon opening the door, the desk clerk mumbled something like "sorrybotat". I made my self believe that he actually meant to apologize for the inconvenience he and his partner put me though and felt good about that.
The room was adequate and the bed very comfortable. We had our meeting at this place the next day and we left later in the day.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Legend3461
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay with us. I regret to learn that we did not provide the level of customer service you deserved.

We truly value your feedback, for comments like yours enable our continuous pursuit of excellence. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense. I hope your desire to join us again hasn’t been extinguished. I will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.
Rochester, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were in South Bend IN for a concert at the Morris and we stayed at The Waterford Lodge. I must say we were very impressed by accommodation and service, not to mention lovely restaurant/ bar. It is close to all the attractions in South Bend and so easy to find. Also affordable. We will definitely be back. We injoyed ourselves. We will be telling everyone we know how wonderful The Waterford Lodge is.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have everything you need right there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gretchen420
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waterford Estates Lodge.
Your feedback is truly valuable. Comments like yours enables us to continuously improve the quality of our product and services.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back as our guest.
Libertyville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Pub in the Hotel was fantastic. Closing time was 10:00 pm. I just arrived tired and hungry from Toledo, OH. Walking up to the restaurant at 9:55 pm and looking through the windows the only person visible was the bartender. The doors were shut but I gave them a tug anyway. She did NOT say "we're closed". What she said was..."you look hungry come on in". Excellent service surrounded the food preparation and more importantly the person working behind the bar!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Patrick K
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m delighted to read that our restaurant team took such good care of you.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Sunbury, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here for the past three years while attending college bowing tournament. Staff is always so friendly. Rooms have always been clean and ready at check in. Buffet breakfast is good but need to be prepared for the rush at 10am. Ran out of food and plates and we had to wait a few minutes!!

Room Tip: No elevator request first floor if you have many bags.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank osumom31
We truly value your feedback and we would like to thank you for being a return guest. We appreciate your positive comments regarding cleanliness and our friendly staff.
I regret, however, to learn of the lack of service we provided during breakfast. Your comments are important and it enables our continuous pursuit to improve.
We look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back to South Bend.
st louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed for two nights 1/4/13 and 1/5/13 as we were coming for a men's basketball game. I booked on hotels.com. Positives: Room and facility were very clean. Room was nice, modern, lots of storage. free breakfast in cozy restaurant each morning was wonderful and the server we had each morning was so nice. The indoor pool is saltwater, larger than most new hotels, and very warm, which was perfect on a cold snowy weekend, our kiddos had a blast. Cons: Our room had 2 double beds, I think the options are one king vs 2 dbls. The double beds are very small. We ended up doing one adult and one child in each bed and our son still ended up on the floor each night. Another con in the winter is that the hotel has interior corriders however the ones that connect each building are not heated and are very cold, esp when you have little ones in swim suits. If the price was right I would stay here again nothing too great but nothing too bad either. It is very convenient to campus, not walking distance though and across the street from a Starbucks, Mcdonalds, Steak N Shake, plus they have their own restaurant as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank beccawes
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the great service you received in our restaurant.
I regret, however, to learn that we did not meet all of your expectations during your stay with us, particularly in regards to the uncomfortable room accommodation. I only wish that we would have been given the opportunity to provide you with a more appropriate and comfortable room to accommodate you and your family.
Your concerns regarding the cold hallways have been brought up to our management team.
I truly apologize on behalf of the entire Waterford team and I look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night while travelling from Minnesota to Massachusetts after finding a good deal on Hotwire. We were pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the room for the price we paid - not to mention the free parking, free wifi and free breakfast. Our room had a Bose wave radio (w/ CD player), a Philips TV and a nice kitchenette with a fridge. The staff was incredibly nice and the breakfast was an unexpected bonus.

Room Tip: We stayed in a King room beyond the pool area...very nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreenTravelerMA
Carla W, Front Office Manager at Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing Waterford Estates Lodge during your recent stay in South Bend.
We truly appreciate your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and staff.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!