Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend
$179
  • Restaurant
$114
$98
Sleep Inn South Bend(South Bend)(Great Value!)
$100
$85
SleepInn
Comfort Suites(South Bend)(Great Value!)
$94
$161
$157
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
All reviewsnotre dameroom was spaciousone night staystaff was very friendlybendconventionuniversity
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Hotel:

The rooms were large in size with a new TV, comfortable beds, microwave, and mini-frig. The breakfast buffet was good and included biscuits and gravy, eggs, potatoes, and bacon/sausage. The pool had a cool little 1 ft area where my 2 and half year old son and 9 month old daughter could splash around.

As far as negatives, the pool was a little chilly and the hot tub was not even warm. The water was very chlorine-y. At breakfast one morning the sausage was cold but everything else was fine. Also there were a few repairs needed or shotty workmanship done on parts of the hotel. For example, the ceiling in our room near the bathroom was starting to peel back. Also, a few outlet covers were loose. Just basic maintenance stuff that needs to be looked at.

The Staff:

The staff was friendly but unprofessional. And when I say unprofessional I mean in the basic sense. They forgot to give us our breakfast vouchers when we checked in but it was no trouble getting them later. The cleaning ladies asked if we wanted our rooms tidied up. I thought that was standard practice? Some people I was staying with had rude encounters with the front desk though I did not.

Overall:

For the price we paid ($65 a night) I would stay there 10 times out of 10 trips to South Bend. If you’re staying the weekend of a Notre Dame home football game the price will be five times what we paid and then it would not be worth it (but that goes for any South Bend hotel on those weekends).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank johnsben
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had reservations to stay at this hotel because we were visiting family and did not realize the other hotels were booked because of move-in weekend at Notre Dame. We knew it was supposed to have been "renovated", but even driving up gave me a clue that we were probably wrong. The tower in the front of the place has water damage and looks like IT needs a renovation. There were no flowers or landscaping to make a nice entrance and the doors look worn. When you enter it looks good with the exception that the lobby does not look finished.

They had our reservation and the lady at the front desk was pleasant enough,although there was no sign of professionalism, no uniforms etc. Just looks like someone came in off the street to work. She then proceeded to call a maid on her Home Deport walky talky to find out if the room was ready. This took quite a few minutes (again, not feeling too good about this).

We got our room and were told to drive around the side of the building to the side entrance. The side of the building looks like a warehouse and the side door looks like an entrance to hell. Worn door, moldy old carpeting etc. What we realized was that the front of the hotel is attached to an older "strip" motel with the outside windows now facing into a "hall" or passage. Nice. When we entered the room it was so dark we couldn't see each other...that was it for me. They offered us another room, but no way! And since we booked it on the internet, they would not give us a credit. We had to return home and call to get a refund.

This place isn't renovated, it shouldn't even be open...disgusting. I don't have any idea what some other people were talking about when they said it was a nice hotel. If I could, I wouldn't even give it any mark.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank daja2016
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stay here quite a bit and have always been satisfied. This time the outdoor pool was open. It was clean, warm, and tons of fun! Great way to wind the kids down. The only complaint I have is the water pressure seemed a little weak.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel was fantastic. I received an excellent rate for a hotel that was superior. The rooms were modern and clean, even fancy. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets were a very high thread count making my night's sleep excellent. Add to this the full breakfast that came complimentary with our room (not just continental) and this is a hotel that I will stay at again, if visiting the South Bend area. You can feel confident that you will have a great experience at this location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My son's soccer team stayed here for a tournament. The team manager made arrangements & several of us were rather alarmed by the reviews we found online for this hotel. Thankfully, the reality was far better than we expected. Clean rooms. Extremely helpful staff. Terrific price. Decent (not great but okay) breakfast. We've paid at least twice as much for much worse accomodations! If we ever return to South Bend, we'll definitely try to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends