“What a Find!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis
“What a Find!”
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I recently stayed two nights at the Inn at St Mary's while in South Bend for work (I have stayed there before) I travel throughout the state for work and this is my favorite hotel in the state of Indiana - it's great! The lobby is well appointed, as is the breakfast area. I had a small suite with a separate sitting area which was comfortable with nice furniture. The room also had coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Every room I have had on past trips has been very nice with the above listed amenities. The breakfast is good and there is coffee/hot chocolate/tea in the lobby 24 hours- which I really appreciate. The inn has a nice computer area with two computers for those without laptops. There is also a small bar in the inn, which I did not spend time in, as smoking is allowed in the bar. There is also a fitness center with a whirlpool. The fitness center is always clean, with plenty of towels and juice to enjoy after your workout. The staff is the best - always pleasant and well prepared. They have answered every question I have asked and gladly looked up directions, movie times and restaurant information. I always look forward to traveling to South Bend because I get to stay at the Inn at St Mary's!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
I represent the Inn at Saint Mary's and wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review. We realize that guest satisfaction is of paramount importance and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please be sure to visit our lounge during your next visit as it is now non-smoking. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future. Thank you,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Berkshire
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed here on a Sunday night and were pleased with our stay. The hotel is located a few miles outside South Bend in the university area and was surrounded by lawns and greenery which was quite nice. The lobby is very attractive and the staff were pleasant on check in. The room was nice and clean and the bed was comfy. The only place to eat nearby was the Hilton next door so we decided to drive to a restuarant then get some drinks in the hotel lounge...unfortunately though the hotel bar is closed on a Sunday, which was something that we weren't made aware of when we booked. To be honest, the bar was something that attracted us to the hotel (we have been driving across the states so a place to unwind with a drink after 8/9 hours of driving is quite essential for us) and to turn up and find out that this facility was not available was quite frustrating. We decided to head next door to the Hilton and they do have a functioning bar (and a rather nice one at that!) so the night wasn't ruined! The hotel is very nice (and I can see why it is number 1 in South Bend) but it would be nice to know the limitation of facilities prior to arrival. The staff were helpful too - our wireless connection went down but when I went to the front desk the lady there gave some good advice on how to fix it and told me to call her direct if there were any problems which was appreciated. We didn't take the breakfast so can't comment on that but the breakfast area looked nice enough. Overall, if I was in South Bend I would probably stay here again - just not on a Sunday!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
I represent the Inn at Saint Mary's and wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your review. We realize that guest satisfaction is of paramount importance and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. In the future we will be sure that our guest service representatives are thorough in explaining our amenities. I apologize that you were not advised about the hours of our lounge. We are glad you were able to take advantage of the Bistro 933 next door. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future. Thank you,
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The room was very nice for the price. It is not the Ritz, but this is South Bend, and this hotel is very nice for South Bend. We stayed there for a wedding and enjoyed it very much. The free hot breakfast was very nice. The "suite" is a bit of a stretch. It is really just a room with the bathroom located in the middle of the room and not near the front door. We will stay here the next time that we are in South Bend.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tshissler
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, July 8, 2009
I represent the Inn at Saint Mary's and wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your review. We realize that guest satisfaction is of paramount importance and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future. Thank you,
Packerchef1
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Inn at St. Mary's while our son participated in the Junior Irish Soccer Tournament. The rooms were well appointed and clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Two issues....1. None of the common areas were climate controlled, and on an 80+ degree weekend, this made the lounge area in the entry and the hallways all uncomfortably muggy. 2. Had a non-smoking room which was fine when we checked in. When we came back from dinner, the room reeked like nicotine alley. Even the kids were grossed out. We were given another room, but it was a pain to haul everything to the other side of the building to avoid the smoke. Aside from that...everything was very nice...especially the Taylor Ham on the breakfast buffet. Yum!
Please make your hotel totally non-smoking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
I represent the Inn at Saint Mary's and I wanted to address your concerns. We have corrected the climate issue in the lobby area as it was a bit stuffy. We have considered becoming 100% smoke free but realize that we do have a demand for smoking accommodations. We currently only have 10 out of 150 rooms that are smoking. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your review. We realize that guest satisfaction is of paramount importance and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to accommodating you in the near future. Thank you,
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed at the Inn at St. Mary's over a cold snowy weekend so my daughter could do a campus visit at Notre Dame. The staff was friendly and the service was prompt. The rooms we had were large and very comfortable. The bed, especially, was a delight.

We had free coffee anytime and a free breakfast each morning.

I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, March 3, 2009

denver
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I attended a conference in South Bend last week. I didn't have a car and the employees at the Inn at St. Mary's provided shuttle service to and from the conference site as well as to and from the airport. Each driver was very prompt and willing to help in any way possible. I felt like I was royalty.

Also, the staff at the hotel were very professional. Everyone went out of the way to make me feel at home. The conference I attended at the Brain Center at Memorial Hospital gave us recommendations of several hotels. That is how I was able to select The Inn at St. Marys.

Stayed October 2008
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, October 16, 2008

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 9, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel several times when traveling for work, most recently in August 2008. In the several times I've stayed here, I've stayed in various different room types, so the hotel ppears to have a room type that would work for anyone- including, standard room, rooms with a living room area, rooms with large work desk- I really like that one. The hotel has wifi in the rooms as well as 2 computers and a printer in the business center you can use if you don't have your own computer. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've seen...lots of choices: eggs, meat, waffle maker, cereal, yogurt, pastries, juice, coffee and tea, etc. The fitness room is also one of the largest I've seen for a hotel this size. I exercised in the morning about 6am and never saw more than 4 other people in there.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Limited seating in breakfast area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
IASM, Director of Revenue at Inn at Saint Mary's, responded to this review, September 15, 2008