“Great front desk staff!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
“Great front desk staff!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Arrived exhausted at 3AM desperate for some sleep! The kind lady at the front desk helped us with a great deal for the night. So grateful for her help. The room, bathroom, beds were clean. No complaints!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Atomicm0m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 1, 2013

First of all, we arrived in town late and without a reservation. We had tried a nearby hotel and were told that everything in town was sold out because of a youth soccer tournament (we certainly wouldn't have tried this during football season). We saw the Quality Inn and figured it couldn't hurt to check to see if they had any vacancies. They had one double Queen room left. Perfect! The hotel itself is what you would expect for an establishment at this price level. The room was fine. It seemed clean (although I never, ever go barefoot in hotel rooms). The TV worked. The wireless Internet worked. The air conditioning and fan worked. The blackout blinds worked (I think one other reviewer must not have seen those). The breakfast was fine - not extravagant, but filled us up. The dining area is a little small and I noticed that the conference room was full of furniture (maybe stored or needing repair?). I can't comment on the pool or workout room as we didn't use those.

What set our visit apart was the front desk staff. Very friendly and VERY customer-oriented. We had a problem with a gift card. It was only $20 and it was probably 8 years old, but it was not supposed to expire. However, it somehow got deactivated. Now, we didn't choose the hotel because of this gift card. In fact, we weren't even aware when we checked in that Quality Inn is a Choice hotel, but when we realized that we might be able to use it my husband went down to the desk and asked. The night clerk who checked us in spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how much credit was on the card, but couldn't get past the fact that their system was saying the card number was invalid. I don't know her name, but she tried her hardest and then suggested we ask in the morning when it would be possible to get tech savvy people on the phone (although it would be Sunday morning). So, in the morning he went to the desk and asked again. Jessica was on duty then, and her efforts to get us our $20 were nothing short of heroic. She called everyone she could think of, but they all just blamed someone else - the card-issuing company, the parent company, whatever... The best info she could get was that we could mail in the card (which should not have expired) for a replacement. She was disgusted and finally, in the end, just took $20 off of our bill and tossed the card.

Now, I suppose I could dock this review stars because the gift card shouldn't have been an issue to start with, but it wasn't the fault of this establishment. We got it as a promotion after a stay in a Choice hotel of some variety a number of years ago. If this Quality Inn is independently owned, then they would have nothing to do with this. They basically gave us $20 to cover something that Choice should have covered. I can't say what would have happened if the amount had been greater, but the service we got was stellar.

My husband did get a call when we got home from a company that services these cards. (Jessica must have given his name and number to someone along the line.) We haven't called back yet because, except for the loss of a little time, we got what we were due. It's the hotel that's out the money. We also no longer have the card. But, he may call and see if they will do anything to make up for the inconvenience.

We would not hesitate to stay at this Quality Inn in the future. We have no doubt that the staff would do anything they could to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank T M S
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites on 06/29/2013. The morning breakfast was a mess. The garbage was overflowing and stacked all over the counters. I asked the front desk staff for a garbage bag and helped her clean up the disaster area. While talking to her she told me that she alone is responsible for the front desk, breakfast, housekeeping, and the airport shuttle. Her name was Jessica and she was overwhelmed. The hotel appeared to be close to capacity. I worked in hotels when I was in college and was very disappointed to learn that this hotel is so cheap that they do not have more staff on duty while charging regular rates. Jessica was a trooper but she should not have to be responsible for the entire hotel operation. I also feel that I should not be paying a regular rate when I had to spend time helping clean up the breakfast area. It is not like you are paying top dollar salaries.

Regards,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank William M
Renton, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2013

August 2012 -My daughter was accepted to a local ish university, the first motel we stayed was horrible. We'd been traveling for days from Washington state and I was tired and sad, it was so hard to say goodbye to my daughter and I think they understood I was a little lost. My bank had shut off my card (abnormal usage) still they let me stay, I got it straightened out asap but it took a day--They took such good care of me. AND delivered me to the airport too!!. Apr/May 2013 Soo school was out for summer and I did the same trip but in reverse. (flew in drove back) There was no where else I would stay but this hotel. Stayed 6 days and you know what? It was the just as before.. I'm going back in a couple of months and I will stay with them again. It is clean and met all my physical needs (exercise room too) and BONUS the management and staff are very caring. They are undergoing some renovations and I can't wait to see how lovely it all will be.. = )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Beulah, Michigan
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The exterior of the building has been newly painted, and very attractive. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and it is in the process of being renovated complete with lovely new draperies. We were missing some lights, and Ken, the good looking manager promptly came to our room with new bulbs, and assisted me with the internet connection. The room was clean and comfortable. We were pleased with the service and accomodations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is horrific! We traveled to South Bend for a sports event, where three teams of young athletes were sharing this hotel. During our stay, three pimps were arrested at the hotel for conducting acts of prostitution! The athletes were given strict rules from the hotel to abide by...do you think that the pimps and their "women" were given rules too?? The lobby was tiny, the meeting room was full of junk, and the breakfast was deplorable. The wallpaper was falling off the walls, the elevator had vomit in it, and the floors were filthy. We didn't have bed bugs in our beds, just plastic plugs of some sort. By the end of our stay, the pool was a milky white color...and the pimps had been watching our children swim! The best attraction was the 7-11 across the parking lot. Bring your own pillows- there are only small, square, throw pillows on the beds! This hotel is in a terrible area. I would not recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer W
ask4qinnsbn, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
All travellers, hotel is in very good shape and condition. we were in process of house improving project. we were take our wall paper down and doing new texture on the walls. there was no pimp in the hotel. hotel was full of teams and kids. when pool get usued excessive it get little off on clearity. we use choice hotels recommend pillows. we serve full hot breakfast. i could not make contact with this unsatisfied guest. our goal is to give best service and good night sleep to all our guests. thank you for reading our side too.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My plane was late coming in due to the ice and snow that hit the region that night. It was after midnight. The airlines had left my luggage in Chicago making for an extra long and tiring day for me. Even though their shuttle stopped running a few hours before, they still went out of their way to come and get me. They didn't have to do that.

When I arrived, the lady at the front desk even offered me juice and was really kind to me. She said that they had a washer and dryer here so if I needed to wash what I had on let her know and I could buy quarters from her.

Their bed was comfortable and their room was accommodating.

They recommended a good restaurant called The Volcano two blocks down that was a delicious Italian restaurant.

Their breakfast at the hotel was really good and it had a nice selection.

My family is going to Florida in September and Quality Inn or any other Choice Hotel will be my first selection for hotels when I go.

In closing, I would recommend this Quality Inn in South Bend Indiana which is two blocks away from the South Bend airport to everyone who travels there.

• Stayed February 2013