All reviews basketball court separate buildings the penthouse full kitchen notre dame main building pros and cons enjoyed my stay business trip yogurt great room free breakfast fireplace privacy campus refrigerator
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Thanks for all the help during the two months that I stay on the property! Great customer service always willing to satisfy the guests keep the good work. Great location center of everything. Thanks for all

Stayed: May 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2018

BOTTOM LINE: Staff is great. Everything else isn't.

Let's start with the PROS:
Staff: Check in was great and easy. They were training someone and they were great (missed their names, sorry!). Toilet clogged on first use and a maintenance professional quickly came and fixed it. He was super nice. Janet who takes care of the breakfast - awesome. Food was always available. She was super attentive. The staff is so good because they have to make up for this kind of old and dilapidated hotel. I feel for them because there's not much they can do about an OLD hotel.

Breakfast. Really great! They had banana mango smoothies - so good!! Never had that at any other Marriott!! Great variety of food. Two types of sausages that my kids loved. Plenty of food available when we got there at 8:45. Updated lobby is nice.

Pool. Pretty nice. Lots of towels and chaise lounges. Plenty of tables with umbrellas.

Basketball court. Great that they have one. My boys loved playing basketball on it. There are also a few swings which would be great for little ones. Gym was decent too. Free weights, elliptical and treadmill.

Loft. Loved the option of the loft and 2 king beds. Total plus - kids loved it.

Now the CONS:

Old Residence Inn so you are in outside units. We were on the 2nd floor and this is horrible when you have suitcases and a cooler. I didn't like this at all. My fault for not realizing this prior to booking. Ask for ground floor to avoid lugging things up the stairs.

Rooms not clean. Really dirty. No attention to details. The vents were so dirty and dusty. Kitchen not clean. Sticky table. Stains on furniture. Light fixtures in kitchen dirty. Just really needs a good cleaning or upgrade.

Noisy room. The A/C unit must be in the locked closet in the room. Was loud and made it hard to sleep.

Surrounding area. I didn't feel overly safe in the immediate surrounding area. Also not a lot of places to eat in the immediate area.

If you are visiting Notre Dame, there are closer hotels and nicer hotels than this one, including a Fairfield Inn across from the stadium.

Room Tip: 1st floor so you don't need to lug your stuff upstairs. Units 6 , 7 are away from the pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Richard C, Consultant at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Loreen B
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. I have read your comments regarding us not meeting your expectations. For this, I sincerely apologize.

I also would like to thank you for your kind words about our team and certain services you were appreciative of and would like to assure you, the experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to provide.

If you would like to speak further, I can be reached by phone anytime at (574)289-5555. I look forward to speaking with you in order to restore your confidence in the Residence Inn South Bend.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

Call 4 times today long distance from overseas regarding receiving a courier on my behalf ahead of my arrival. No one picked up the phone. There is no voice mail system to leave messages. Very frustrating. Called Marriott reservations to get a message to hotel. Unbelievably bad. At least the reservations call center tried to address my problem.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business

Shanley L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your information on the phone issue and see where their is a failure.I apologize for your frustration.

I very much appreciate your candor and will use this as a teachable moment to improve ourselves in every way possible and restore your confidence in the Residence Inn South Bend.

Reviewed July 2, 2018

This old apartment-style Residence Inn (the prototype the chain started with in the 70s) does have updated rooms, but nothing about my stay here was good. Although the furnishings were recent, the room smelled very musty (or smoky, not sure which). The room could only be reached via stairs, no fun for schlepping bags up and down, and the breakfast area was understaffed and underserved. Planning not to stay here again. You're within half a mile of downtown SB, but you're not downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't involve going up or down stairs
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Eileen H, Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2018

Dear Leserg56,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.It has come to my attention that the service you received during your
recent stay did not meet your expectations. For this, I sincerely apologize.

I would love the opportunity to hear more about your recent stay in an effort to prevent this issue from occurring in the future. Please let me know the best contact number and time to reach you, or feel free to contact me via phone anytime at (574)289-5555.

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Staff is very caring. They go out of their way to make you feel at home, always cheerful, making sure customers are satisfied with the meals. The week night gatherings are fun. Comfortable rooms. I will stay here again next time I am in town.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business