“Great place for a long stay”

Residence Inn South Bend
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed August 12, 2011

After spending plenty of time at the downtown Marriott on Joseph st, I needed a place where I could cook more meals while in S. Bend. I also wanted to save some money. While I enjoyed having a kitchen, here are some of the pros and cons to staying at the Residence Inn.

Pros: Free internet. Free Breakfast. Better temperature control. More family feel. Ability to cook food yourself. Couch with pullout means that you can fit more people if you have guests. More family type activities and nature nearby. The rooms are very large with a kitchen sink, microwave, stove top burners, refrigerator/freezer, and provides cooking pans, utensils, and basic cooking items. Nature rich setting with birds and places that are scenic for walking.

Cons: Much louder because it is cheaper for families. So many kids running around that I asked for another building because being near the basketball court sucked for me as I was trying to get work done, and not on vacation. The housekeeping only comes in every 2-3 days on a long stay. That was unexpected, but once you have the schedule and know what to expect, it isn't bad. My trash overflowed a few times and I had to take it to the dumpster myself. If there is a holiday, it will be even longer until housekeeping will come to clean the room. The television is quite old and sometimes very blurry with bad signal in some of the rooms.

Room Tip: If you have a family, stay in a building near the basketball courts or pool, near the breakfast and...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank starrynytes4me

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for one night with our family (2 small children) while driving cross-country. Though we had a little trouble finding the hotel, and the neighborhood was not quite what I expected, our stay was comfortable and pleasant. The room was a good size with a queen bed and pull-out sofa bed. We did enjoy the breakfast, but did not use any other amenities. Overall, I would recommend for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mrs_flats
Reviewed June 18, 2011

If you know what to expect with residence inn hotels, there is nothing different with this place. Service was good, free breakfast and dinner was good. New fridge in room was nice. I used the weight room, it had an elliptical, treadmill, bike, and a bosu ball. This hotel is 5mins from notre dame. 4 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I am a relatively frequent traveler and not all that picky, as long as I feel that the room is clean and I can take a decent shower. No and no. Terrible water pressure in the shower, which was actually greatly surpassed by the blasting pressure of the bathroom sink, which in turn became loud and difficult to control. Was greated by a large spider before my shower, which is completely forgiveable and to be expected every once in a while, except for he was accompanied by his centipede buddy camping in our sheets the night before. Last, but certainly not least, you could hear EVERY footstep taken in the room/condo above ours, which went until 2 in the morning and started back up at 7. For the price you pay for this place, especially what they charge on graduation or football weekends, a much higher standard should eb expected.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I was in South Bend for business. I enjoyed having the kitchen facilities even though I did not make full use of them. Some RI's have receptions every week night, but this one only had it on Tuesday and Wednesday and alternate Mondays. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel is close to downtown but in a peaceful setting. I walked to the gatehouse from my room. The only negative is that the pool is outside so I did not get to soak in the hot tub. The fitness center is open 24 hours. I had a restful visit.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Currently staying here now in a penthouse suite. There are 5 of us, 2 parents and 3 kids. We have room to spread out and privacy for mom and dad. We even have 2 full baths! The room is very clean and the staff is friendly. As others have mentioned, this place is very quiet!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed January 26, 2011

After four frustrating hours of driving in snow and ice, I walked into this hotel to meet a staff that made me feel like family. Professional and customer oriented, they dealt with everyone the same way and even created a warm collegial atmosphere at the evening social.
The staff alone is enough reason to come back but there are other highlights.The rooms are clean and comfy. They don't skimp on the meals. It has easy access to downtown and the major highways.
My only complaint is that they still have the old "crts" for televisons.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business