“Steel & Glass”

Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Steel & Glass”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I Liked this hotel. I stayed in a renovated room. It was very cozy and comfortable. Nice work out room and spa. The pool needed a cleaning of the tiles around the rim. The staff was great and the restaurant delicious. I was annoyed to have to pay for parking, but then a blizzard blew in and I was great full not to have to have to dig my car out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel in South Bend. We are delighted to hear that you found the food delicious and the staff friendly. We are also very pleased to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestroom. We hope to serve you again soon. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We came for a family celebration in South Bend. As part of that we scheduled a brunch at the DoubleTree for friends and family. The rooms were excellent and the brunch put on by the hotel met all our expectations. We would certainly use the DoubleTree for any future events.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your family celebration at our South Bend DoubleTree. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and will share your comments with our team. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed February 18, 2013

After being on a long road trip I thought a little bit of luxury would be noce so we booked a reservation ahead of time and when we got there this hotel was a dump! There was nothing luxurious about this hotel. The pool was under construction and we had a lot of luggage and booked us on a higher level. Needless to say, we never got to see the room because it was the most ridiculous inconvient hotel I have ever witnessed and I am an avid traveler! I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anonymous810
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for the review of your experience at our South Bend DoubleTree hotel. We deeply regret any dissatisfaction we caused you. Please accept our sincere apology for our failure to deliver what you are accustomed to expect from us. Our hotel is currently under renovation, including construction in our lobby, and guestrooms. Your feedback is extremely important to us, as we continuously strive to make improvements to our product and services. Our renovation will be complete this Spring. We would honor the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you.
Greenville, SC
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with my family when we came to a game. Prices are inflated for obvious reasons. I feel a hotel should step it up if that's the case. Out stay was average. The room and overall hotel experience was not up to par for a Doubletree experience in my opinion.

We liked the location to downtown restaurants and bars. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good. I enjoyed the staff and talking Irish football with other guests before the game.

Overall, you can expect a decent stay. Just don't expect much more.

• Stayed November 2012
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our DoubleTree Hotel in South Bend. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel’s staff and the atmosphere Notre Dame Football fans bring to downtown. We regret to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your guestroom and our hotel. We are committed to delivering the DoubleTree by Hilton rewarding experience you are accustomed to. With are renovation well underway, our guestroom and lobby renovation will be complete this Spring. Our new Restaurant, Baker's Bar & Grille just celebrated their grand opening. A full service Starbucks is currently under construction in our Atrium opening in May. We do appreciate your feedback and would honor the oppportunity to serve you again. Thank you.
Layton, Utah
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Recently traveled for business to South Bend, Indiana, and stayed at the Double Tree Inn. The first thing you notice is the renovations taking place when you first walk in the front door. Once I located the temporary front desk I was greeted nicely and checked in quickly and given a nice, warm chocolate chip cookie. The staff was one of the friendliest I've encountered in quite some time and offered those scrumptious cookies each day. I forgot quickly about any renovations. I was given a very nice room overlooking the river toward Notre Dame campus. I ate at the restaurant every morning because it is so convenient. Choice of food on the breakfast buffet got smaller as the week went on but they have breakfast-to-order as well. This hotel seems to be centrally located with great access to most everything in South Bend (once you're acquainted with the one-way streets right next to the hotel). I will definitely return to Double Tree next time I visit South Bend. A+ for the entire hotel staff! B- for the restaurant staff! Overall very good experience!

Room Tip: Can't beat a river view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the warm DoubleTree Chocolate Chip cookies. Our team appreciates your kind words about our friendly staff. Your complete satisfaction is very important to us. We value your feedback as we continuouly search for ways to improve our product and services. We are excited about our renovation and the newly updated restuarant and guestrooms we will be able to offer our guests. The renovation will be complete this Spring. Please let us know if we may be of assistance with your travel to South Bend. Thank you once again. We look forward to serving you soon.
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Although I have been coming to South Bend for many years for football games and to do guest teaching at the University, I have never stayed previously at this location. The University put me up there on this visit because the Morris Inn is undergoing a major renovation (rebuilding).

This property was a Marriott Hotel and had a reputation as the top hotel in town. Recently Hilton took over this property and has converted it to a Doubletree. A major renovation is underway. At least in the part of the hotel where I stayed, it is still the old Marriott. I have stayed in many Doubletrees around the country and have always had great experiences. The only indication of Doubletree on this stay was the cookie at check-in.

Contrary to my previous Doubletree experiences, the room had no frig or microwave, although a frig was furnished at my request. Doubletrees usually have a suite arrangement, but this was a single room with bath.

That said, the room was clean and quiet. I experienced several problems - a bad card reader in the garage, a broken shower handle, and a heating problem that required me to keep the thermostat at 76 degrees. But the staff promptly responded to each of these problems. Management is apparently aware that great customer service is needed to overcome some rough patches during the renovation.

Room service for breakfast was prompt, and the food nicely prepared. Parking is close and convenient once beyond the erratic card reader. The bell staff was helpful. I was disappointed that the whirlpool was not working. The pool is a nice size, and the water warm.

I look forward to another stay at this hotel after the renovation is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our South Bend DoubleTree Hotel.
Your feedback is invaluable to us as we continuously strive to improve our product and services. Please accept our sincere apology for the problems you experienced with your guestroom, and garage. Your complete satisfaction is very important to us. Thank you for recognizing our staff and their efforts.

As you mentioned we are currently renovating our guestrooms and lobby to offer a new and improved product. Our new restaurant is open in our Atrium, Baker's Bar & Grill. A new full service Starbucks will be open this spring. All renovations will be complete in early May. Please let me know if I may be of assistance in any way. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you once again.
Washinton DC
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for my sons wedding in South Bend. We were given a nice group rate discount. But the best part was the supportive staff. Beginning with Jen Garner who was our sales person in advance of our trip. No question was too little or too big. She also got back to me very promptly. Although undergoing renovations, on site the staff was extremely accommodating as well. Everything was very neat and very clean. Great place!

Room Tip: Believe it or not South Bend has some beautiful views from the Double Tree. Ask for a room facing t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your special event weekend at our South Bend DoubleTree Hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff, and the great water front view. We appreciate your compliments regarding the service our Sales Manager, Jenn provided for your son's wedding weekend. Please let us know if we can ever be of service again. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.