“Football weekend”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with my family when we came to a game. Prices are inflated for obvious reasons. I feel a hotel should step it up if that's the case. Out stay was average. The room and overall hotel experience was not up to par for a Doubletree experience in my opinion.

We liked the location to downtown restaurants and bars. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good. I enjoyed the staff and talking Irish football with other guests before the game.

Overall, you can expect a decent stay. Just don't expect much more.

• Stayed: November 2012
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our DoubleTree Hotel in South Bend. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel’s staff and the atmosphere Notre Dame Football fans bring to downtown. We regret to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your guestroom and our hotel. We are committed to delivering the DoubleTree by Hilton rewarding experience you are accustomed to. With are renovation well underway, our guestroom and lobby renovation will be complete this Spring. Our new Restaurant, Baker's Bar & Grille just celebrated their grand opening. A full service Starbucks is currently under construction in our Atrium opening in May. We do appreciate your feedback and would honor the oppportunity to serve you again. Thank you.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Recently traveled for business to South Bend, Indiana, and stayed at the Double Tree Inn. The first thing you notice is the renovations taking place when you first walk in the front door. Once I located the temporary front desk I was greeted nicely and checked in quickly and given a nice, warm chocolate chip cookie. The staff was one of the friendliest I've encountered in quite some time and offered those scrumptious cookies each day. I forgot quickly about any renovations. I was given a very nice room overlooking the river toward Notre Dame campus. I ate at the restaurant every morning because it is so convenient. Choice of food on the breakfast buffet got smaller as the week went on but they have breakfast-to-order as well. This hotel seems to be centrally located with great access to most everything in South Bend (once you're acquainted with the one-way streets right next to the hotel). I will definitely return to Double Tree next time I visit South Bend. A+ for the entire hotel staff! B- for the restaurant staff! Overall very good experience!

Room Tip: Can't beat a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the warm DoubleTree Chocolate Chip cookies. Our team appreciates your kind words about our friendly staff. Your complete satisfaction is very important to us. We value your feedback as we continuouly search for ways to improve our product and services. We are excited about our renovation and the newly updated restuarant and guestrooms we will be able to offer our guests. The renovation will be complete this Spring. Please let us know if we may be of assistance with your travel to South Bend. Thank you once again. We look forward to serving you soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Although I have been coming to South Bend for many years for football games and to do guest teaching at the University, I have never stayed previously at this location. The University put me up there on this visit because the Morris Inn is undergoing a major renovation (rebuilding).

This property was a Marriott Hotel and had a reputation as the top hotel in town. Recently Hilton took over this property and has converted it to a Doubletree. A major renovation is underway. At least in the part of the hotel where I stayed, it is still the old Marriott. I have stayed in many Doubletrees around the country and have always had great experiences. The only indication of Doubletree on this stay was the cookie at check-in.

Contrary to my previous Doubletree experiences, the room had no frig or microwave, although a frig was furnished at my request. Doubletrees usually have a suite arrangement, but this was a single room with bath.

That said, the room was clean and quiet. I experienced several problems - a bad card reader in the garage, a broken shower handle, and a heating problem that required me to keep the thermostat at 76 degrees. But the staff promptly responded to each of these problems. Management is apparently aware that great customer service is needed to overcome some rough patches during the renovation.

Room service for breakfast was prompt, and the food nicely prepared. Parking is close and convenient once beyond the erratic card reader. The bell staff was helpful. I was disappointed that the whirlpool was not working. The pool is a nice size, and the water warm.

I look forward to another stay at this hotel after the renovation is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our South Bend DoubleTree Hotel.
Your feedback is invaluable to us as we continuously strive to improve our product and services. Please accept our sincere apology for the problems you experienced with your guestroom, and garage. Your complete satisfaction is very important to us. Thank you for recognizing our staff and their efforts.

As you mentioned we are currently renovating our guestrooms and lobby to offer a new and improved product. Our new restaurant is open in our Atrium, Baker's Bar & Grill. A new full service Starbucks will be open this spring. All renovations will be complete in early May. Please let me know if I may be of assistance in any way. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you once again.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for my sons wedding in South Bend. We were given a nice group rate discount. But the best part was the supportive staff. Beginning with Jen Garner who was our sales person in advance of our trip. No question was too little or too big. She also got back to me very promptly. Although undergoing renovations, on site the staff was extremely accommodating as well. Everything was very neat and very clean. Great place!

Room Tip: Believe it or not South Bend has some beautiful views from the Double Tree. Ask for a room facing t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback regarding your special event weekend at our South Bend DoubleTree Hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel, the staff, and the great water front view. We appreciate your compliments regarding the service our Sales Manager, Jenn provided for your son's wedding weekend. Please let us know if we can ever be of service again. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We happened to stay at this hotel as part of a wedding package for my girlfriends wedding. The hotel is currently under renovations, but the staff was very proactive in making sure that did not affect our stay. The facilities that were not being renovated(pool, fitness area, bar and restaurant) are very nice. The front desk has an unlimited supply of warm chocolate chip cookies, so if you happen to be put out a little, one bite should put any aggravation at bay. The reception was held at the adjoining Art Center, which made it especially nice for us to enjoy the festivities without having to drive. The hotel is centrally located and would be perfect if you are in town for a Notre Dame game. Hats off to Doubletree and their staff for a nice experience!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Many do enjoy the convenience of the skywalk that connects our hotel to the Century Center. Also, we are so delighted that you enjoyed our warm, DoubleTree Chocolate chip & walnut cookie. Your consideration in regards to our renovation and kind comments regarding our staff is very much appreciated. We are so excited about the improvements to our hotel and look forward to completion in ealy May. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future travel. Thank you.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our volleyball club stayed here recently and the hotel was very nice and very accommodating. The hotel is under renovation and once that is completed it will be very nice. We had an opportunity to eat at Baker's, the new hotel restaurant with our group. Food was very good, however, we only had one waitress. She did a great job, but it would have been nice to see some help for her. We were however sad to see that they closed Sean O'Casey's Irish Pub. Breakfast was delicious...by far one of the better hotel breakfasts. Breakfast included fresh made omlets or eggs, along with a nice selection of fresh fruit, oatmeal, bacon, scrambled eggs, french toast, and sausage. Service at breakfast was great with fresh orange juice, water, or coffee brought to your table. Definitely will be returning to Doubletree again!

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor and did not notice the noise. Hoping to have a renovated room on our next...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments regarding our DoubleTree in South Bend. Your feedback is invaluable to us in making improvments to our product and services. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the food in our new restaurant, Baker's Bar & Grille. Our renovation will be complete in early May including all guestrooms, new lobby, and Starbucks. We look forward to serving you again. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future reservations. Thank you.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent a night here in December for a wedding. We had just left the Park Hyatt in Chicago the evening before so we definitely managed our expectations. On top of it, with thought the renovations occurring would be distracting.

I am happy to report we had a lovely stay at this hotel. The renovations did not invade in our stay - you can definitely see this hotel will be top notch once all renos are finished. Location to the main street is wonderful - tons of breakfast and lunch options. Rooms were extremely clean and the beds were comfy.

One item of note is the bathroom (particularly the shower fixture) was a bit dated. I am hoping that is part of future renovation plans.

Overall, a great visit and I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Erin P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for choosing our DoubleTree Hotel in South Bend. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comments regarding the comfortable beds and clean rooms. Please accept our apology for the dated shower fixture in your guestroom. A complete guestroom renovation is in progress including all bathroom fixtures. It is scheduled for completion this Spring. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you.