“Charming in Every Way”
Review of The Oliver Inn

The Oliver Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 South Bend B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Not only is it nice to get away to a B&B (this was the first one I visited, which I am glad it was), but a Victorian one at that is a nice change from the usual hotel. The Oliver Inn was very homey and comfortable, the service was excellent, and the food was delicious. I was a little spooked by Mr. O'Toole, the doll that plays piano, but he's a harmless of course, and adds a cute touch. And the atmosphere was perfect for a very nice to be able to have a sit-down breakfast with different people. Also, it was very affordable. I want to go back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We just spent one night at the Inn as we were passing through on our way to pick up a rescue dog to bring home. When I looked up pet-friendly hotels I was so pleased that this beautiful B&B popped up! It was SO much nicer than staying at a generic chain hotel surrounded by pavement. The Inn was really beautiful and the innkeepers are extremely courteous and accomodating. They made a dinner recommendation (a restaurant in a historic mansion next door) that we really enjoyed after a long day of driving. We stayed in a pet-friendly room, as we picked up the dog the night of our arrival, and we had an early breakfast so we could get on the road quickly. The breakfast was delicious - freshly baked chocolate chip and cinnamon muffins, ham and cheese quiche, and fresh fruit. There was also a butler pantry with snacks and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. It was walking distance to downtown South Bend, and had a beautifully landscaped garden for relaxing. I found myself wishing we had more time to spend in Indiana! I highly recommend this Inn, and would certainly stay again myself.

Room Tip: This Inn has pet-friendly rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I had an excellent experience at the Oliver Inn. Tom and Alice went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable. Alice is an excellent cook and her cookies were too die for. They treated us like family and made the experience even more enjoyable than some of the other b&bs that were have gone to. We would go back in a heartbeat. My wife really loved the history of the place.

Derrick and Zanell

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Had a wonderful experience. Have to rate as one of the top bed and breakfasts that we have stayed at. Keep the antique look, it creates such a wonderful atmosphere. Price is good and I noticed that they have last minutes deals and you may actually be able to steal the room because it's so cheap. June was a great host, loved her. Hope to return once we have a baby. Thanks for everything.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed in the Carriage House and everything was perfect! From the warm welcome to the fresh cupcakes left on the counter, there were so many little touches. Breakfast is amazing, and the location was perfect for a Notre Dame visit. The space in the Carriage House allowed us to have a small gathering with our students one evening and not have to worry about bothering any other guests. Would definitely stay there again. Only draw-back is that although it is 2 bedroom/2 bath, there is only 1 shower.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I called the Oliver Inn in a bit of a tizzy, the Annual Girls' Getaway Weekend that I had pain-stakenly organized down to the last detail seemed to be unraveling when I got a call from the English Rose B&B in South Bend announcing (only 2 days from our reservation check-in) that they had an "emergency" and can no longer accomodate us, and that their 'sister inn', Cushing Manor, could not accomodate us as well. That simple. I was crushed! I needed a B&B with a room on the 1st floor for our Grandma. I called The Oliver and found out they have a banister lift up the staircase, and Alice was wonderfully helpful and gave us a price we could all afford, although more than English Rose. Now I know why-it was worth every extra penny!!! Intricate detail in historical decor and cleanliness, cozy, spacious, welcoming--I truly felt like I was a guest in a lavish home of a wonderful couple. Breakfast was unique and delicious-German pancakes and freshfruit. All 7 of us left amazed that we enjoyed it even more than we were looking forward to. Alice was so accomodating and does her job very well, lingering just when we needed her, leaving us to be ladies on vacation when we needed it, offering taking photos knowing I wanted to capture the moments.... VERY GOOD STAY.

Room Tip: James Oliver-awesome jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Great value without compromising quality, beauty or service. We loved our stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Aloft South Bend
Aloft South Bend
#15 of 31 in South Bend

Been to The Oliver Inn? Share your experiences!