“It's all in the details...”
Review of The Oliver Inn

The Oliver Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 South Bend B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“It's all in the details...”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Our stay here was wonderful! The little extra touches made this B&B just perfect for our anniversary celebration. The bed was super comfortable, we had a fireplace in our room, and in the bathroom there was a cute little clawfoot tub and AWESOME shower (separate from the tub!), as well as a towel warmer. They even included bubble bath! The owners were sweet and attentive without being pushy or overbearing. The breakfast was also incredible - maple sausage, pumpkin bread and stuffed panini french toast! Yummm! Location is close to Notre Dame and there are great restaurants super close as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Oliver Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us, we are glad you had a great visit! The Clem Studebaker Room is one of our favorite rooms too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Franklin, Tn.
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We always prefer to stay in B& B's, so when we discovered The Oliver Inn on our way to Michigan it sounded perfect. Everything about our stay was perfect from the time we checked in until check out the next morning. The innkeepers were gracious hosts. Our room was beyond expectations, comfortable bed, charm, gas fireplace, clawfoot tub and separate shower. Breakfast was great, Italian omelet, fruit, and coffeecake with lots of coffee and hot tea.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Oliver Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Dear Linda,

Thank you for staying with us! We hope you had a great retreat in Michigan and that you are able to stay with us again in the near future.
Alice and Tom
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Into turn of the century time and history, and this was one great experience. Love mansions and the history that go with them. We found the Oliver Inn to be an excellent choice for our little romantic get away.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed in the Schuyler Colfax room which is just right for one traveler or a couple. For such an old, huge place it was extremely clean. I mean white-glove clean. There was about 12-16 inches of snow on the ground during my visit and all the sidewalks on the property, including the block long side walk in front of the property were clear.

The service was impeccable. Here you get everything you would get at a 4 and 5 star hotel. I blinked and my bags were in my room. I mention a restaurant I would like to try and the reservation is made. I express a need for transportation, a taxi is called. Alice and Tom have done a good job of anticipating what a guest might need. Want a snack? The butler's pantry is stocked with typical salty snacks, fresh baked cookies, and jelly beans. Water, tea, coffee, juices, and soda are readily available as well. This worked out great for me because between running around shopping (just blocks from the Inn) I was able to pop in drop my bags, get a quick snack and continue with my day.

Also, the guest room amenities made my room cozy. They have high speed internet and cable TV. Because my trip was last minute, I underpacked so I appreciated having a nice bathrobe and eco-friendly toiletries in my room. Oh and don't let me forget the chocolates on my pillow everynight-yum.

The breakfast is out of this world--I had a baked apple pancake with sweet and spicy bacon, fresh fruit salad, freshly baked lemon poppyseed bread, coffee and pomegranate juice. Sitting in front a fire and under the light of a silver candlebra just made the food taste even better. My flight left at 7:00 the next morning so Alice packed a goody bag for my flight.

I cannot wait for another reason to visit South Bend!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night in honor of our anniversary. We are actually South Bend residents, and we were looking for a destination that was close, relaxing, beautiful, and quiet. Well, we got it all! And we learned a few things about the history of our town along the way. We also got a pretty good deal from their website because we booked a "last minute special". Tom and Alice were perfect hosts, and you can tell that they love what they do.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This was our third stay at The Oliver Inn. Everything was perfect as always - toasty fiireplace, extremely clean, super-friendly owners, yummy fresh-baked cookies, delicious breakfast. Total comfort!! We'll be visiting again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at the Oliver Inn on New Years Eve. The inn is an old victorian style home. Furnishings inside the home reflect that. The home is located next to the Studabacher mansion and is located in the old affluent area of South Bend. If you want to go back into time and experience the charm of the past this is where you want to stay. Breakfeast in the morning was served on china plates and very elegant. Snacks were available in the kitchen all day and night. We stayed in the Studabacher room and would hightly recommend it. Very spacious with a large bay window and fireplace with gas logs. It's furnishings are of the period. Tom and Alice are very friendly and accomadating. We have to applaud them for maintaining such a historical treasure and opening it up to the public. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple