“Good Hearty Comfort Food”

Fiddler's Hearth Public House
Ranked #2 of 303 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a Black and Black Beer (an interestingly delicious combination for stout and black currant flavor, but not for everyone), cup of homemade soup, large house salad, steak and Guinness pie, mashed potatoes and carrots. Pie was delicious, but potatoes were cold and carrots way too sweet (why add sugar to a naturally sweet root vegetable like carrots?). Service was very attentive and friendly. Would try again because of the extensive Irish style menu and many items sounded tempting and descriptive. Personally we like community style seating of long tables in the part of the restaurant we sat in, but this may not be for everyone unless you bring your own large group. Nonetheless try this place!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The food here was decent (I had fish-n-Chips) but the music from the band was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. You also may end up sitting elbow to elbow with strangers which I don't enjoy all that much, but you may not mind that if you are the social type. I suppose if we had scored a corner booth a bit removed from all of the action & further away from the live music stage, I may have had a better time but it was crowded so choice of seating was very limited.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Wife and I ran a race there and celebrated at the Fiddler's Hearth where the food was very satisfying and good and the beer was fantastic. Nice cozy atmosphere where folks are forced to sit together and talk.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Fiddler's Hearth in downtown South Bend is a terrific traditional Irish restaurant in the "public house" theme. Their food is fantastic (Irish Stew and Molly Malone Stew are my two favorites, although the Salmon of Knowledge is also wonderful). The beer selection is great, and you have to try the Scotch Eggs...wow. Live local music many nights during the week/weekend is icing on the cake. Owners Terry and Carole are great people, and I am glad that they have struck gold in DTSB!

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

What a surprise to walk into Fiddler's and hear Irish music!! It set the stage for a wonderful Irish Sunday lunch. From the shepherds pie to Guinness and steak to fish 'n chips served in newspaper!!! We enjoyed it all. We felt most welcome even though it is a local hangout and we were definitely tourists! Bravo to this little taste of Ireland in south bend!!