“Perfect Irish Evening”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

So it's a Friday night of a Notre Dame home football game...is there any other place to be? Despite an hour wait to find a seat, thank in part to numerous cheaters in line, it was all worth the wait. The food was the usual outstanding Irish fare with plentiful portions and good service considering how crowded the pub was (nary an empty seat). We shared a table in the main bar area with perfect line of sight to the band. Kennedy's Kitchen performing Irish classics live on stage complimented the food and drink and topped off with loudly singing patrons - what more could you as for from an Irish Pub? The only nit-pick was that some menu items were not available because they were primarily on the "summer menu" and it was November 1st! Otherwise this was a lifetime memorable experience-only a trip to Ireland could top this!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you've ever been to Ireland, you'll know there are no strangers at their pubs. Fiddler's Hearth carries this spirit in the heart of South Bend. See an empty seat or two at one of the large rustic tables? Ask the folks if you may join them and the answer will be "yes" and you will make new acquaintances and perhaps a new friend. Owners Carol and Terry Meehan work to source as much of their food from local producers as possible so everything is fresh and conscientiously raised. Try the Pear/Walnut Salad for a Vegetarian option or their mouth-watering Molly Malone Stew. Outdoor and patio seating during the warmer months; live music year round. If you're lucky, you may score the seats near the fire.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had tickets to the South Bend Civic Theater on Sunday and, as usual, we stopped by Fiddler's Hearth for breakfast/brunch. We haven't been for a over a month and we were disappointed when we walked in. The first person we saw was waiter we've had problems with in the past. He was standing at the cash register and made no eye contact whatsoever. We sat ourselves (as is customary) and waited and waited and waited for someone to acknowledge we were there. We finally got someone's attention and she told us our server would be with us presently. We waited again and he (our least favorite waiter) finally acknowledge us but never brought over a menu etc. We actually got up and moved to another table as we couldn't handle the stress of dealing with this individual. Dean took care of us and he was worlds apart from the other waiter. Super individual with a personality and refreshing attitude. We ate our breakfast and went to the theater. Unfortunately, our stomaches were upset the rest of the day and the following day. I think we'll be giving Fiddler's a rest for a while and look for another venue. Shame as they serve Strongbow cider on draught.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stopped in for lunch during a weekday, so it was not very crowded. We loved the atmosphere--lots of old pictures of police and fire departments. I had the reuben sandwich and my companion had the lamb-beef sandwich. They were both delicious. They have a very nice beer selection. We would definitely come back again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm a Dubliner who's lived in South Bend for almost six years, and Fiddler's is my local. I've spent some very good times here. The day I gave birth to my son, my husband went to Fiddler's to pick us up burgers and chips to celebrate! He smuggled them into the hospital, along with some salt and vinegar canisters the friendly staff sent us.

I've had good friends who used to play at the open mic and have a wild time. For a long while, before my son was born, my husband and I used to come here every Sunday evening, when it's lovely and quiet, for a pint of Guinness while doing our homework (we're both students.) And whenever we've had really bad hangovers we've come here for our full Irish breakfast (and the odd Bloody Mary.)

So I don't know where I'd be without Fiddler's. I've rated it "very good," though. rather than "excellent." It's pricey. Which would be fine, if the food was reliably satisfying - but it's just not. It tends to be slightly disappointing, just ever so slightly. If Fiddler's could just up its game in the kitchen, it would be perfect.