Innisfree Bed and Breakfast
$179
  • Restaurant
$114
$98
Sleep Inn South Bend(South Bend)(Great Value!)
$100
$85
SleepInn
Comfort Suites(South Bend)(Great Value!)
$94
$139
$161
$157
  • Pool
All reviewsmichael collinsfiddler's hearthclaw foot bathtubhistory museumfrench toastnotre damefresh fruitwithin walking distancegreat place to staywoodworkparlorsintricategames
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We arrived at Innisfree on NYE at about 2000 after driving in horrible conditions, we were worried about arriving so late on NYE but Cindy was really reassuring that it was OK and contactable via email and mobile.

When we arrived we got a warm welcome. The room was large with ensuite, very clean and lots of little interesting touches like cookies on the side table, quilts and nickknacks that enhanced the age of the house and made it feel like you were in some-ones home not a hotel. The bonus was the little gas fire which was great for defrosting. Cindy recommended a local pub a couple of blocks away, so we walked down and had a great meal and evening to celebrate the New Year.

The next morning there was a tap on the door and breakfast was served on a tray, french toast and maple syrup, fresh fruit and the best coffee in our three week holiday.

This B&B left us with a warm fuzzy feeling, very enjoyable experiance.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenisonholiday
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am from Wisconsin and my friend and her mother are from Ohio. We chose to meet half way for a weekend of catching up and this turned out to be South Bend, Indiana.

I discovered Innisfree, a Celtic B & B online. The photos on their website do not do this place justice. This lovely home was a late 1800's Elizabethan structure with the most beautiful and intricate woodwork I have ever seen.

The rooms are unique and cozy. We chose the 3rd floor which was one suite that sleeps 6 as there were 3 of us. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed our hostess, Cindy. Breakfasts were hearty and well made. I will look for an excuse to go back again!!

Room Tip: Any rooms will satisfy. Some have their own bathrooms and some share.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Innisfree while visiting for my niece's wedding, and all in all found it to be a very comfortable experience. We arrived later on a Friday night, but we had easily arranged with the owner Cindy for the late arrival, and she had given us the code for the keypad door in advance.

First impressions as we drove into the neighborhood was a bit of wariness, as there is an apartment building close by, and we were concerned about noise levels over the holiday weekend. but there was plenty of off-street parking, and we easily entered the B&B and got to our room to settle in. And the house itself was very stately and beautiful. We stayed in the Michael Collins room with it's adjoining bathroom, and were very happy with the selection. The bed is what I would consider a large double or small queen, but was comfortable for two, and we both slept well each night. Luckily, the apartments nearby were no issue at all, and we did not hear any noises during the night to tarnish our stay. About the only issue we had the first night was the cold snap that was going through and dropping temperatures outside, and it got a bit nippy in the room. We were not aware of the in-room heaters that are provided, but found a very comfortable blanket to slip on the bed, and slept very warmly the rest of the night.

The house is a historical landmark, and you can tell from the woodwork and the general layout that the house is quite old, but in wonderful condition. And as we learned later, has a very interesting history. The décor is decidedly Irish/celtic, and as another review has mentioned, does have a lot of religious knick-knacks. But there are also lots of nostalgic/historic photos and other items, and plenty of books to just pick up and start reading if an idle minute appears. We both noticed that the house was quite peaceful and quiet, especially when we were in our room. In fact, we were pleasantly surprised the first morning when we opened the door to our room to head down for breakfast, and only then realized/knew that there was music playing in the first floor sitting room, and the innkeeper was talking to the other guests. Needless to say, we decided that the house, although old, was very well insulated, and again, we never were bothered during our stay by noise or commotion.

The innkeeper Cindy was wonderful, and we truly enjoyed talking to her, and learning the history of the house and how it was moved and then transformed into the inn, and of how she had come to possess and run the bed & breakfast. We thought the breakfasts were wonderful. Both days started with a large communal bowl of sliced fruit to spoon our individual helpings from, and then Cindy brought out the main breakfasts after a short wait. Both days were delicious, with a wonderful egg-based casserole the first morning, and delicious French toast, with the twist of cream cheese filling, on our second morning. Cindy sat down with us each day, and the conversation and interplay was very friendly and enjoyable.

We highly recommend this B&B for those looking for a pleasant, quiet and enjoyable stay while visiting South Bend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cycling_Man2009
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I checked out of Innisfree this morning after a 1 night stay. It had some pros and cons - though really, which places don't? - but the former certainly outweigh the latter, and I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone spending the night (or a few) in South Bend. I'll take you through my experience as briefly as I can (which probably won't be very briefly):

-Pro: PLENTY of parking. Seems like a very safe neighborhood. Very nice looking house. Awesome front door keypad which makes getting in and out very easy and safe. Ramp along the house to the parking area so you can wheel luggage easily.

-Pro: Beautiful interior. Granted, overly decorated as most homey B&Bs tend to be, but tons of common spaces and plenty of snacks in the kitchen and two dining areas to be enjoyed. Coffee (flavors!) whenever you want it, cereal, bottled water, yogurts/applesauce in the fridge, granola bars, cookies, and bowls of hershey's kisses littered throughout upstairs and down.

-I won't call this a con, but there are a gazillion crosses and signs about god all over the place. You're in Indiana, so what else would you expect? I can easily ignore that stuff, but for someone who can't, it's something of which to be aware. Another thing of which to be aware is that you're very close to train tracks, so if you're a light sleeper you might get awoken by train horns, but it was no problem for me.

-Pro: The rooms are adorable. I stayed in the Seamus room which is perfect for one person (but no more than that). It's pretty small, but it had private bath facilities as not all the rooms do. It's kind of cool in that the toilet/shower are in a nook around the corner from your bed, but very much in the room with no door, and the sink/mirror are further around the corner by the door to your room. Something to note, but I found it very charming.

-Con: The seamus room could seriously use a small desk, or at least more table/counter space. Maybe a nightstand on both sides of the bed?

-Pro: Definitely warm enough, but a little space heater included that worked really well for the colder moments. Shower water got as hot as you would want, and the water pressure was perfect.

-Pro: Lots of cute little body products littered around for your enjoyment. Plenty of towels. Very nice bathrobe included for your use. Bed was super comfortable - I wanted to steal the pillows!

-Con: Probably the biggest con of the experience, the internet really doesn't work very well. It will work well enough if you need to check one thing here and there, but if you're trying to multi-task and/or get a lot of work done, you may have difficulty. It seemed to go in and out quite often, and certainly would not hold up to streaming video.

-Pro: super friendly staff. Very quiet, peaceful atmosphere.

-Con: I feel bad calling this a con because it's clearly a small, very personally run establishment, but I was told breakfast was at 9am and it didn't seem like that was particularly flexible. I mentioned that I usually run at 9/9:30am and could I have breakfast more like 10am or 10:15, and she reluctantly agreed, but I both felt bad about it and also was unsure as to whether that would really happen. She mentioned she wouldn't be there the next day but her assistant would be, and she would pass along the message. Sadly she didn't, and so the assistant the next day wasn't actually sure if I was coming down for breakfast. Luckily when I showed at 10am she had put aside a plate and microwaved the sausage/egg casserole for me. It was tasty, the fresh cut fruit was nice, and the banana bread was super awesome.

-I didn't really "check out" with anyone - assistant was upstairs cleaning rooms, so I just left my key on the kitchen table and headed out.

-Pro: The cost is super low for what you get. I definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: The Seamus room is perfect for a solo traveler, and has private bath facilities!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank scthe2aces
Reviewed March 3, 2013

From the moment we arrived, my friends and I felt comfortable and knew we had chosen the perfect Bed & Breakfast. First of all the innkeeper was friendly and made us feel right at home. She provided a delicious breakfast, including a variety of fresh homemade breakfast goodies. Throughout the day and evening, coffee and teas were available. Additionally, the Irish theme resonated throughout the inn, creating a wonderful ambiance. The rooms were comfortable, extremely clean and decorated with an Irish antique flavor. The innkeeper had many suggestions regarding the places of interest in and around the neighboring area. Innisfree was a wonderful place for our girls get-a-way weekend.

Room Tip: The king sized suite is exceptional!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends