“That Dismal Ambiance”

The Vine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Six PM on a Thursday and the place is nearly deserted.
Our hostess gives us the "fisheye" instead of a smile, what are you missing here.
Our server was casually attired to a fault.
They suggest the house specialty appetizer Mike's spicy crab dip. A bowl of nondescript
generic cheddar with microscopic morsels of crab meat paired with slices of over-toasted
bread.
The "chef" had reported that he was creating a special dish this evening, Veal Piccata.
The entree that showed up resembled nothing like I have ever seen.
The veal was not properly cooked and the breading had all come off the veal. It was
sitting by itself in the bowl. The veal was sliced into 1/4 inch strips on penne pasta,
overloaded with sun-dried tomatoes. This was a disaster. I told our server that the cook
didn't get this right. He never offered a replacement, despite the uneaten meal.
My BW ordered the Mediterranean salad with Mahi Mahi. The fish was OK but the
balsamic vinegar dressing did not taste right.
This place is in downtown South Bend across from the Doubletree and near several good
restaurants.
The restaurant is trying for a upscale Italian wine bar ambiance, but the sad decor
and under-dressed employees negates any chance for that.

1  Thank bobemac

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I will caveat this review by claiming ignorance to The Vine's dinner options. I've only experienced lunch. I will say however that my lunch was fantastic. I ordered the prime rib dip and I was more than pleasantly surprised, I was supremely impressed.

Typically, dip sandwiches are mostly bread with alittle meat slapped on it, and not overly flavorful because they expect the Au Jus to cover for flavor. Definitely NOT the case here. There was a PILE of meat on the sandwich and the bread was fresh as was the cheese. The pepper and grilled onion medley on it was great, just the right amount to add flavor without over powering the meal. Priced at 9.50 it was excellently valued. I probably would have paid 12 for it. If you want fries though, you best go somewhere else as they don't have fried stuff. The side of pasta salad was delicious as well.

My wife had the cajun mahi sandwich and she said it was very good as well. We'll be returning for lunch certainly, and probably dinner sometime for a date night/special occasion.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

A happy party of ten celebrating a courthouse wedding, on a very slow weekday afternoon, so slow we were the only party in the whole restaurant, were met with good food and drink. But emphatically lackluster service. In my more cynical frame of mind I have to suspect it is because the tip was already added because of the size of the party. Timeliness and quality of food were great, so no fault to the kitchen. Unfortunately, the server did not come through to make an event as good as it could have been. Really no harm, everyone had a good time, but it was annoying to have to keep getting her attention, to keep requesting the simplest of needs, when all we wanted to do was focus on the happy event that brought us there. The final irritation is that she did not ask how the bill should have been presented, and thus it had to be redone. Not a real irritation, but without our still required hyper-vigilance, the father of the bride would have been stuck with paying half of a tab for which he was not responsible.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We needed lunch after a long flight. Great find! Wonderful salads, wines and a helpful staff in a lovely setting with plenty of window views.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were in South Bend for one night and saw an ad for The Vine. It turns out that it was half price for bottles of wine and appetizers the night we were there. We took the wait staff's recommendation to try the assortment of appetizers that included the hot crab dip with fresh baked bread. Maybe it was the wine or maybe it was the crab dip, the combination of the two made for a satisfying evening. The combination of appetizers along with a salad were more than enough food for the two of us.