Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed June 20, 2012

BEWARE: if you book on a game weekend and your plans change too bad; EVEN WITH FIVE MONTHS ADVANCE NOTICE THEY REFUSED TO CANCEL WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT! I travel extensively for work and have stayed at several Holiday Inns; this hotel has the worst cancellation policy I’ve ever seen. I booked a room with reward points. A couple months later something came up and needed to cancel; I was told that if I cancelled not only would I sacrifice my points but also be charged an additional $300 per night. So, they keep my points, get full rack room rate from me, and have the next five months to find some else to rent the room on a ND game weekend!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Justin C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Justin C,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Average pretty much sums it up. I usually choose Holiday Inn Express hotels when I am looking for someplace cheap and easy because they tend to be newer than Holiday Inn propers. But, that was not the case here. Nothing was really wrong with the hotel or the room but, it just seemed old. The bed was terribly uncomfortable to sleep in. Also, the heat/ac control was awful. I many have gotten spoiled by staying at nicer hotels but, I am used to the wall controlled thermostat where you can set the fan to run and control the temperature pretty well. Not so with the old window/outside wall mount units. This is one of those older units mounted right into the exterior wall where you have controls right on the unit. They did add a digital temperature setting that I am pretty sure had no real effect on the temperature. I set it to 68 and then tried 72 but it either pumped AC or Heat. Again, I freely admit that I chose this place because it was cheap and right off the freeway I was traveling on. But, I like to have a TV that has a guide menu like most of us have at home now days. It seems like a small thing but for those of us that have that at home it seems so arduously painful to have to watch a TV guide channel to see what is on and then still not be able to select the channel from that menu.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank crash1204
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I just checked out of this hotel -- it wasn't too impressive when I first showed up. The hallways all smelled a little funny, like someone had been spraying the heck out of them with disinfectant. The elevator also had a nasty smell but I couldn't put a finger on what it was. I did notice that during the day they ran those air purifying machines used for mildew/mold smells.

The room (Room 226) smelled like mildew, but I figured it was one of those 'anti cigarette smell' machines. After a quick examination of the room I noticed that the restroom smelled of mold and the shower head was built up with mineral. Fearing that I would be a hyper complainer (I've stayed in worse places) I just said oh well and stayed.

Tonight was the last night but turned out to be the worst of them. I found a little black bug crawling on my arm, then proceeded to swat it away. After standing up and looking I found one more. I killed both then went down to the front desk. The girl (Nayelah, very nice) was able to switch me to another room (207). This room had a dead bug in the corner, but smelled much better. The second I entered the restroom that mildew smell was back, just not as strong as my first room.

I figured at this point it was time to switch hotels so I called up the HIE toll free number and let them know my situation. At the moment, I'm paying for my new room at the Mishawaka location (very nice, very clean and smells awesome) and at the mold hotel. I'm hoping that there isn't too many issues with getting a refund, but looking at the history of reviews on this hotel I probably will be working it out with my credit card company instead.

I could complain about the rude housemaids and the fact that some other front desk people had an attitude but that would only make me more frustrated. The maintenance guy was very polite (My toilet clogged twice... I'm not sure why as I wasn't 'overloading' it).

Stay away - they need to really give the hotel a good sanitizing/cleaning/bug bombing.

Room Tip: If the room smells funny, ask for another -- it seems like they have some rooms that aren't as b...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Randy C
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear randyc530,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in all aspects of your stay. Whilst I am pleased with your compliment on our maintenance guy being polite, I truly value the comments about how the room condition was as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already have. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to South Bend.

Lin S.
IHGCare

Reviewed November 23, 2011

The hotel is newer, very clean, staff was helpful and courteous. Breakfast was a nice perk. I am more and more becoming a fan of Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I called this hotel to inquire about a room for a football weekend. The General Manager of the property indicated that the hotel rooms were full but that she had a brand new furnished 2br, 2ba apartment she could make available across the street. The hotel provided check-in, keys, and took substantial payment for the weekend stay.

The first morning we found that the hot water did not work and called the hotel. Later that day we were told the problem had been resolved. When the shower was started the next day, the water pressure blew the faucet off of the shower wall. You cannot make this stuff up. Upon calling hotel maintenance we were told that it was the contractor's fault.

Numerous calls to the General Manager, the hotel and Holiday Inn Express customer care line have either gone unreturned or no accountability for the actions by the General Manager.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank illini13
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel was very comfortable. Staff was friendly. I must say was very surprise how a Hotel was so stingy with their coffee. We held business meetings all day and made sure that our guest was not entitled to the coffee. We were doing business there all day must have had 25-30 ppl come through but no coffee was aloud unless you were a guest. I thought that was very poor way of treating our guest. Other than that our stay was great. Would have given a 4 star if coffee was given to all.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2011

It took the night manager more than 20 minutes to check a party of four in and we had platinum membership pre arranged reservations. Asked for a wake up at six which did not occur until 6;45. Rooms were not clean either

• Stayed: September 2011