“Cannot recommend”

Holiday Inn Express South Bend / Notre Dame
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed November 23, 2007

The facility was clean, new, and very nice overall. The room had a flat screen TV, microwave, and kitchen. The hotel is a moderate walk from ND and close to the interstate and a couple fast food chains. I was charged about $50/night more than the rate offered about 48 hours in advance because I made an advance reservation during a special event. Management refused to match the lesser rate.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank dfbf

Reviewed August 26, 2007

This is a great hotel. New, clean, very comfortable beds. I am so glad that I decided to stay here. If I had to find anything negative to say, it would be that the breakfast area is a little small. You won't go wrong staying here though!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank ugaboy9
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We arrived after midnight and got a room. Pleasantly surprised. Spacious and had a refrigerator as well. We weren't sure how long we were staying. We stayed 4 nights before we had to leave because they were full. We never received newspaper at the door, but it seemed as if others on the hallway received paper at their door. Continental breakfast was good. Had tasty, warm cinnamon rolls on the bar along with usual cereal, muffins, bananas and oranges. Location is about 2 miles from Notre Dame and 5 miles from hospital. They said there was free internet in the lobby but each time I tried it was slow as molasses and it took me 30 minutes to try to send one message late at night.

On the third day, I asked the hotel if we could extend through weekend because the relative we came to see had passed away. He said they were full, but he would check and let us know. When we came back later that day, I asked if he was able to help us and there was no message with a yes or no. So I started asking again and they couldn't help us out. I understood not being able to help us, but I didn't understand not having a message later that afternoon to let us know definitely.

Great location near fast food options, and Notre Dame.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank mjbbowls
Reviewed May 11, 2007

My wife and I stayed there on April 25th, 2007. The first room we were assigned to had not been cleaned after the prior guest vacated. So we encountered the radio and lights on, used towels strewn about, and leftover food. Creepy. The front desk clerk (I forgot his name) apologized, and upgraded us to a suite.
The suite was fine, EXCEPT that there was a used towel left high up on the shower rod that housekeeping had missed. Yuck. I used a clean towel to pick it up and throw it in a corner. The next morning, at checkout, I told the clerk (I forgot her name) about this and all she responded was "oh". OK fine. I also asked her if she could call our next destination, a Holiday Inn Express in Chicago, and let them know that we needed an early check-in there. She responded that she did not have their phone #, and she made no effort to find it. To her credit, after I gave her the #, she did make the call.

Everything else was fine, including the free breakfast, but the housekeeping miscues and the second clerk's lack of motivation tainted things for me.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMB&JAS
Reviewed April 28, 2007

do not book this hotel through the holiday inn express online reservation system!

they guarantee the lowest rate, by making you pay the entire stay up front, and it is unconditionally unrefundable.

we are forced to pay more than $1000 for two rooms that we booked four months prior to a wedding that has been cancelled.
the wedding is cancelled and they will not refund any of the monies, even though it is three months prior to the reservation date.

We have spoken to at least five HIE people at all different levels of authority. Everyone agrees that we are being punished far too much, but not one person has offered up an acceptable solution!

We have been loyal customers of HI for many years, and Priority Club members for at least 15 years...never have we been treated so poorly for being loyal customers!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sasha031
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Although the hotel is beautiful I would think twice since the management at this point is unruly. Hopefully they will have new management before too long, may want to check on that before making your reservation. We stayed as a group and had very unusual circumstances happen to us. It would be a great place to stay if you don't have any problems but once you have a problem, don't think the management will come to your rescue. It is actually the total opposite. To make a long story short my original reservation was for 2 nights and I had cancelled them. We ended up staying for 1 night but were charged for 2 nights. My cancellation number from the 1800 Holiday did not make any difference. The rest of our group had similar circumstances and when it was time to ck. in they didn't even have our names in the block set of rooms that were to be held for us. The general manager was never available to get a straight answer and the staff at the front desk isn't all that knowledgeable. They are not able to credit anything without the permission of the manager. When we finally were able to talk to the general manager, she was way out in left field when handling our situation. Or just I say we felt like we were in the Twilight Zone. I hate to deter you from the property because again, it was beautiful. But, just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I hate the rating system above since there are many elements that go into your total experience when staying at a hotel so with that said everything was nice with the exception of the management and that can really ruin your stay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Lovepug
Reviewed December 25, 2006

The hotel is very clean, and I would recommend it, although it is a little high in price.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends