“Roach Motel in South Bend”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Bend
South Bend IN Travelodge
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed February 22, 2006

This motel was so gross that I couldn't bring myself to take picture of the rooms.

The front counter in the lobby had a hole big enough to reveal what was on the desk below. It looked as if someone got bored one day and decided to pick at the laminated particleboard until there was nothing left on that spot. Four men lounged around the vending machine and the stairs in pyjamas, one of them was without a shirt. We should have walked out at that point, but it was past 8PM, the drive had been long and we were exhausted, all we wanted was to get a bite to eat and a clean place to lay our heads for the night.

We were given a room of decent size if shabby. The paint on the windowsill was peeling, the pieces were on the radiator. The bathroom was disgusting, the sink was rusty and the toilet was stained. The bathroom door was splattered with dark spots, of which I didn't want to hazard the origination.

I went downstairs to talk to the clerk. He apologized and gave me the key to another room across the hall from the first one.

I didn't think the hygiene condition of the first room could be worse. I was wrong. The toilet in the second room was the same, plus the bottom half of the shower curtain was blacken with grime and mould. The carpet had not been vacuumed for a while; the speckles were actual dirt.

We were too exhausted to think at the moment. We stopped by the desk again on the way out to dinner. The clerk said he would go through all the rooms to find us an acceptable one.

The toilet in the third room was a bit cleaner. However, as soon as I opened the door, the smoke literally knocked me off. The room was so darken by the smoke even when all the lights were turned on. I stepped outside to look at the door. The no-smoking sign was there, same sign as on the other doors, but the sign didn't mean anything since there was a dirty ashtray in every room.

I gave up.

None of us had more than two hours sleep that night. We left before dawn, feeling lucky we survived the night without being bitten by bugs or infected by disease.

7  Thank Charles S