“Great Italian Food and Charm”
Review of Sunny Italy Cafe

Sunny Italy Cafe
Ranked #24 of 308 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Sunny Italy is a truly unique restaurant in South Bend and one of my favorite Italian restaurants anywhere in the country to eat at. It reminds me of my grandmother's dining experience, not just great food - but the service and atmosphere. Love it!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I love-love Sunny Italy for an amazing, home cooked Italian meal. The service is always spot on, they pay attention when you are in a hurry or let you leisurely enjoy your meal if you don't have to rush. We consistently enjoy the broiled chicken with spaghetti, chicken cacciatore, lasagna, etc, etc. They have a very nice selection of wines and a "homey" atmosphere. It's a local, 4th generation owned & operated restaurant with members of the family still doing the cooking and making their traditional, personal recipes. We love the place and hope anyone that reads the review tries it out while in town!!

1  Thank sbendpassport
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Sunny Italy Cafe is old school mom and pop dining. It's been there forever, and is the exact opposite of the Stepford franchise places I always try to avoid. You'll find the place packed, especially on Notre Dame game days, but they are super efficient. The food is solidly traditional Italian family fare--not high end, but totally reliable. Staff will remember you after a few visits. The only problem is the lack of bathroom space--clean but tiny in the quirky space available. Love this place.

2  Thank rcpilger
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We go to Sunny Italy Cafe twice a year when the downtown restaurant association has a special push. We've enjoyed our visits to Sunny Italy, but haven't found anything remarkable.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Upon going with my two cousins to sunny Italy we thought it had to be good for the price of food and the fact that it is the oldest restaurant in south bend. But boy were we wrong!! When we got there it took awhile to get seated because the greeter was talking to her friends! We finally had to ask to be seated, which she was extremely rude about! Being allergic to milk and a vegan I was told I could eat the spaghetti. But when my food came there was cheese tucked into my food. I had an allergic reaction, and finally got the attention of our waitress who seemed to abandon us at every moment. She was very rude and ignored us. The atmosphere was awful too! We felt as if we were walking into someone's house and begging them for food, everyone knew each other and the wait staff. My meat eating cousins agreed that their food was nothing special, especially for the price. I would highly recommend people to avoid this place at all costs!!

1  Thank Elizabeth B