“Not so Sunny in Italy”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Upon going with my two cousins to sunny Italy we thought it had to be good for the price of food and the fact that it is the oldest restaurant in south bend. But boy were we wrong!! When we got there it took awhile to get seated because the greeter was talking to her friends! We finally had to ask to be seated, which she was extremely rude about! Being allergic to milk and a vegan I was told I could eat the spaghetti. But when my food came there was cheese tucked into my food. I had an allergic reaction, and finally got the attention of our waitress who seemed to abandon us at every moment. She was very rude and ignored us. The atmosphere was awful too! We felt as if we were walking into someone's house and begging them for food, everyone knew each other and the wait staff. My meat eating cousins agreed that their food was nothing special, especially for the price. I would highly recommend people to avoid this place at all costs!!

1  Thank Elizabeth B
There are newer reviews for Sunny Italy Cafe

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Bigger place than you would think. We did eat early, and had the dining room almost to ourselves. Nice menu. Reasonable cost, after all it is pasta. Came on a recommendation from the hotel. Oldest restaurant in South Bend, still family run. We were happy we came here.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a family table reserved for 18-20 people. The service was awful, the food was not a good value for the high price we paid !!best We would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant and have been going to it for over thirty years. You may have to wait for a table but it is worth it. The spaghetti sauce and pan fried chicken are just awesome. I've travelled all over Italy and could not find better sauce or chicken. Some of the waiters have worked their longer than I have frequented the place which I think is pretty cool. If you go after a Notre Dame game you will need to just chill out and go with the flow.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

It is restaurant week in South Bend and we expected an above average experience.
We were seated and for at least 10 minutes weren't even acknowledged. Finally a
waiter asked if anyone had helped us. We ordered from the special restaurant week
menu. Spaghetti and meatball....the salad came on a cold plate, but was limp and appeared to
have been sitting for some time...the dressing was very good. The main meal arrived and the meatball was the smallest I have ever been served and it was tasteless. Wouldn't you think
when you have the opportunity to showcase your restaurant during this special time, you would go out our of your way to take orders quickly and serve the best food you can? Our waiter turned out to be very kind and friendly, but the overall experience was a zero. We will not return. (the tables are very close together and do not provide any privacy)