“Great place for a nice lunch, dinner or brunch”

Tippecanoe Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tippecanoe Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 296 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
LaPorte, Indiana
“Great place for a nice lunch, dinner or brunch”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We ate here yesterday and had a very nice lunch. Located in the Studebaker Mansion, this restaurant is specially decorated for the holidays. The food is excellent and very reasonable. I had chicken marsalla for $13. The salmon was a nice piece at a reasonable price. Their are many different rooms that are used from nursery to sunroom. Very nice setting, great food and grat service.

• Visited December 2013

Poolesville, Maryland
“What a Dining Experience”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had the opportunity to visit South Bend for business again and was taken to a restaurant called the Tippecanoe. We drove through a pleasant residential area with mature trees, well-manicured lawns and primarily Victorian homes. Then, we came to this spectacular house that resembled a church. The front entrance area was breathtaking with beautifully decorated Christmas trees everywhere. A friendly and most pleasant hostess greeted us and took us to an elegant room which was decorated right out of the 1800s – not replicas, but the real thing! This was not your typical grandparent’s house, unless one of your grandparents was Clement Studebaker, the manufacturer of the Studebaker American wagon and carriage, predecessor to the H&C Studebaker Company and Studebaker car. The mansion was built in the 1800s and each room (yes, they will allow you to roam through the house unescorted if you so desire) has a bit of history through pictures and other artifacts. Even in the bathroom! The present day mansion has a rich history and it has been refurbished by a couple from California, so we were told by a most attentive and informative waiter. However, you still feel like you were taken back into history, while indulging exquisite cuisine. And, portions were huge and deliciously prepared. We had so much food we had no room for desert. Pity, because the desert cart looked scrumptious! I won’t pass up this opportunity (saying no to desert that is) the next time I visit. I had a great time and it truly was a wonderful dining experience. I recommend it highly and I'll go again!

• Visited December 2013
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Great Thanksgiving aka "I didn't have to cook"”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I had the luxury of getting away on Thanksgiving Day for a spectacular meal that I didn't have to cook. It was very nostalgic as it was all decorated for Christmas with stunning décor on every floor and the tables settings were complete down to china tea cups and cloth napkins. The buffet style menu included the traditional thanksgiving food as well as unique appetizers some that I have never had before but were delicious. After the meal we toured the mansion and found each floor in beautiful Xmas décor. It was an enjoyable day! We then had to return to reality as we were still having our family thanksgiving dinner but was 2 days later. Note if you ever plan on going for their Thanksgiving feast reservations are required as it is a tradition for many people, however we took our time and didn't feel rushed and didn't have to wait long for a table for 2

Visited November 2013
Ohio
“Tasty and Beautiful”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

One night in South Bend and I picked this place - I was so glad I did! Upon arrive, I was disappointed in the long wait to be seated by the hostess (she appeared to be troubleshooting a POS problem with the server, but should have at least acknolowedged me). As a solo diner, you notice the details...

I enjoyed the French Onion Soup and a Filet Mignon (both tasty and ample). The server was friendly and attentive, providing suggestions expertly and following up.

She suggested I tour the mansion after dinner, walked me to the elevator (1st one in Indiana!) and handed me a walking guide.

The four floors of dining rooms were stunning and enhanced by Christmas decorations throughout. I took dozens of pictures (which I rarely do) to hold on to this visit.

I hope South Bend and visitors will be able to support a gem as this. For travelers, it would be worth going a 100 miles out of one's way on a road trip to visit, though it is not that far from the Indiana Tollway.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Deb022
Moline
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I always compare to see who gets the better meal (compared duck and filet this trip). . . we were both winners! Our waiter kept the meal moving at a comfortable pace. From appetizer through desert, everything was perfect. One of the few places that knows how to cook a steak to order and get it correct. They were just finishing decorating for Christmas; well worth a stop to see this wonderful mason in its full splendid décor.

• Visited November 2013