“A sweet tour”

South Bend Chocolate Factory and Museum Tours
Ranked #2 of 3 Tours in South Bend
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We took the free tour, it was interesting and we had a good local lady for a guide.She explained the company and process of making chocolate. We also liked the free samples during the tour. It has a museum of chocolate advertising items and such at end of tour.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Nicely appointed café with free WiFi, wine and ice cream makes this a nice place to meet friends, especially in the summer months with their outdoor dining. I am always disappointed in their chocolate, which is waxy and is not fair-trade certified. Bagels are always on the stale side and you have to often ask for a "real" cup rather than a throw-away cup, even if you plan to drink your coffee at the café. Meeting rooms are nice for groups to gather but better chocolate can be found at Tavernier's from Purple Porch Co-op and better café food at Chicory Café.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was an interesting stop if you have some spare time in South Bend, but I wouldn’t advise going out of the way, unless you are really into chocolate. We paid for the tour, and it was nice enough – the amazing thing is they do so much of the packing manually. I’ve seen some comments about the “outdated” movie/projector, but we found it charming in a strange way. The chocolate wasn’t the greatest, we’ve had better. We enjoyed our few hours here, but as I said before I wouldn’t schedule my trip around a visit, but it’s a nice enough “add on” if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We took the free tour and checked out the little chocolate museum. They were making turtles, chocolate covered pretzels and white chocolate cookies while we were there. We were given samples while we watched. The staff in the store and our tour guide were great. There's a cutout with Lucy and Ethel making candy and your face can be the supervisor giving them direction. Great place to take kids and the chocolate museum brought back memories for some of us older chocolate lovers. We'd stop again if in the area.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

It is worth the stop but be prepared that it needs updating. Of the two tours, the free one and the $4, I also echo the sentiment that to just take the free one. The only exception is if you plan to buy $40 worth of chocolate after the tour as you get a 10% discount with your ticket. The $4 ticket only extends the tour to hear how they make molded candy, make a spoon chocolate dip treat which you get to keep and see a movie on chocolate. Not worth the $4. Speaking of that movie it is woefully outdated. The projector lamp does not even allow for a clear picture which was very distracting.
Just in general the store gives the vibe that it was conceived with much thought but not much upkeep and continued improvement has been implemented over the years.
The discounted candy is not extreme. So you save some but I expected deeper discounts after traveling out to the actual factory. I got better deals at candy tours such as at Jelly Belly. Now we did buy but let's face it my wife loves chocolate and we were not leaving without some.
The tour itself was interesting. I like they gave us free taffy at the beginning. We also got two candy samples on the tour. They should add something more to the packaging segment as it was only "here is how we pack, any questions." Perhaps have a a few people try packing some fake items and have the rest of us judge who did the best or just time a race. Something to make it more interactive.
The museum they have is small but nice to view. More geared toward us older people as it is not very interactive.
Bottom line, good to go to but do not make it the premier destination of your trip to South Bend. Couple it with visits to other attractions (like the free Norte Dame walking tour) and it should be fine.

1  Thank jgonz330